Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 27 Jun 2006 (Tuesday) 05:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Schutzhund under the lights

shellti
48 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 27, 2006 05:55 |  #1

Hi, first time posting in this forum, hope I did the pix right!

This was my first try at stadium shooting under the lights, and while the "official" photographer for the event had a "white" lens, I was working with my sigma 70-200 2.8. A little less reach than I'd have liked to have and my poor little rebel doesn't do ISO 1600 without protest (noise).

But overall, after 3 nights shooting, I think I managed to capture some reasonable action.

Just a few here, lots more on my site if you want to look.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Shelly
http://www.shellshots.​com (external link)

sponsored links
superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 27, 2006 11:49 |  #2

Not bad, but use ISO 1600 and the clean it up with a noise reducer like Neat Image or Noise NInja...

You will be surprised at how well they come out!

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

MazerRakhm
Colonel Mustard
2,277 posts
Joined May 2004

Jun 27, 2006 15:37 |  #3

Look at those dogs bite!

I ran one of the through neat image quickly just in case you wanted to see it.

IMAGE: http://ksmith.smugmug.com/photos/78150643-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-Kevin
Monkeys are the key to the universe. Since I couldn't find an Oompa Loompa, I am employing monkeys to porter my equipment and be my assistants.
Pearls of Wisdom...
Now remember Ralphie, if you're nose bleeds; you're either picking it too much or not enough. - Chief Wiggam
30D, Kit lens, 70-200 f2.8L, Nifty 50, 16-35 f2.8L
***ksmith.smugmug.com (external link) *** LiveJournal Blog (external link)***SportsShooter Member (external link)***

Thornfield
747 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 19, 2006 07:57 |  #4

Those are great shots.....You wouldn't get me volunteering as a chew toy :)

Relationships are like photography, it has to click. :)

hooookup
942 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 19, 2006 12:06 |  #5

Nice Malinsquabbles in the first! In that last shot is that a Dutchie?

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 19, 2006 12:54 |  #6

What exactly is this? Training for attack dogs?

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

shellti
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 20, 2006 05:35 as a reply to  @ hooookup's post |  #7

hooookup wrote:
Nice Malinsquabbles in the first! In that last shot is that a Dutchie?

Good call Hooookup, yes the last one is a dutch shepherd, and was a super nice dog to watch in both obedience and protection.

Superdiver, Schutzhund is a three part sport for dog/handler teams, usually the working, herding and guardian breeds. Tracking obedience and protection are all performed and scored depending on the training level of the dog.

For more info about the sport, you can go to http://www.dvgamerica.​com (external link)

Funny, I don't get a whole lot of volunteers for the "chewtoy" part for some reason ;)

Shelly

d'mur
168 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 21, 2006 10:29 |  #8

Great shots of a great sport, Shelly. My only suggestion would be to turn the camera to a horizontal position. They feel a bit tight on the sides to me. As I said, though, great captures!

D

5D
17-40L
24-70L
100mm Macro
70-200 4.0L
Living proof that practice alone doesn't make perfect; sometimes you just need raw talent! :rolleyes:

shellti
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 22, 2006 05:20 as a reply to  @ d'mur's post |  #9

dmur wrote:
=d'mur]Great shots of a great sport, Shelly. My only suggestion would be to turn the camera to a horizontal position. They feel a bit tight on the sides to me. As I said, though, great captures!

D

Thanks d'mur.

Several of the shots are definitely tight and shoud probably have been landscapes. I'll try to keep that in mind next time I get an opportunity to shoot my favorite sport. It probably would help the viewer get a better feel for the speed and distance required from these dogs. Thanks again.

Shelly

mjordan
Goldmember
1,339 posts
Joined Apr 2002

Jul 30, 2006 23:56 |  #10

Considering the limitations you had with light and ISO, you did a pretty good job. I've shot a number of these events, although they have been outside with lots of light and I was very close most of the time. I could have shot out on the field with the dog and lure, but since most of the time they were testing 3/4th trained dogs (in some cases half trained) I didn't want to take the chance that they would get confused of who the bad guy was... "hmm, over here we have a guy in a padded suit, over there we have a guy without a padded suit...which one should I go tackle?"

If you want to see a bite, watch a Bouvier des Flandres at work. Their jaws are almost look double jointed when they open them for the bite. Very impressive. :D

Mike

Hillsboro, OR
Canon 1DMKII and lots of "L"
http://www.sitnprettyp​hoto.com (external link)

shellti
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 31, 2006 19:29 as a reply to  @ mjordan's post |  #11

Thanks Mike, really enjoy when there is a day trial or seminar, so much easier to get the shots I want without the low light issue. Of course, overly bright sunshine brings its own set of problems :)
The official photog at the event these shots were taken, decided on the last dog of the evening to shoot from the oposite sideline from where he'd been all night. Unfortunately for the handler, her dog noticed him and kept doing quick headchecks in his direction. (Maybe I'll stick with my Sigma..no white lens to distract them ;)
Would love to see a Bouvier work sometime. I haven't had that opportunity at the trials/events I've been to so far.

Shelly

hooookup
942 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 31, 2006 21:13 |  #12

im a huge fan of Schutzhund, especially Dutch Shepherds. IMHO they are the ideal dog for protection and obdience.

mjordan
Goldmember
1,339 posts
Joined Apr 2002

Aug 01, 2006 21:32 |  #13

There are a number of Bouviers here in the Northwest that are worked in Schutzhund and a number along the East coast. There are some in the Florida area but most of those are weekend warriors and the owners sorta play at it but not real seriously. We have 6 Bouviers but we raise ours for service dog work rather than Schutzhund, so they have to have a different temperment and attitude... although ours wouldn't hesitate to take a bad guy out, they'd just be a bit more polite about it while they knocked you down and sat on you. :D Several of ours have been tested against guns, sticks and other stressful situations and they stood their ground but still under control.

Here are a couple from the last event I shot:

IMAGE: http://www.sitnprettyphoto.com/display/ring0418.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.sitnprettyphoto.com/display/ring1225.jpg

Mike

Hillsboro, OR
Canon 1DMKII and lots of "L"
http://www.sitnprettyp​hoto.com (external link)

Clearie
21 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 30, 2009 23:50 |  #14

Hey, that's Ron Maeshell in the 4th, 5th, and 6th photograph. He is a very talented helper and dog trainer. He helped me with my dog a couple of years ago. I am also involved in the sport of schutzhund.

CLEARIE
Canon Mark IV, Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8 L II, Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8 L, Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 L IS USM Macro, RRS BH-55 Ballhead, Gitzo 1548 MkII, 3531s Tripods, (3) 600 EX-RT speedlites, (1)ST-E3-RT :cool:

VinnyC01
"throw pies at me! "
1,176 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 30, 2009 23:54 |  #15

Wish I was there! Thanks for sharing. That is a cool site.

CANON Mark 1D IV & 5D Mark III; 300/2.8L IS; 70-200/2.8L IS; 24-70 f/2.8L; 85/1.8; 50/1.4;1.4x; 580EX II;
MCVProductions.net (external link); Sports Shooter; (external link) MaxPreps (external link); Facebook; (external link) Flickr; (external link)

sponsored links

2,473 views & 0 likes for this thread
Schutzhund under the lights
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.