Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Jul 2006 (Tuesday) 13:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thoughts about the POTN G-series Speed Challenges

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 04, 2006 13:13 |  #1

To keep the Challenge # 73 – The Signs of the Times thread commenting about the submitted pictures, and following teekay’s suggestion (see below), I have opened this thread to receive your comments, new ideas, etc.

rpolitsr wrote:
Seven pictures are better than the four of the previous week, but still a small number of entries for another interesting subject.

Anybody has some ideas on how to keep the newcomers participating?
Can we motivate the former frequent posters to return to the challenges?

Terrywoodenpic wrote:
my thoughts about the forum are that we are losing some members as they get DSLR's, and very few are coming in as they don't make The G series any more.
Perhaps we should move to include cameras in this forum, that Canon at least, think has replaced the G series, even though they do not have all the attributes.

teekay wrote:
I agree with a couple of others about enlarging this forum to include "lesser" cameras, although I admit this is partly for selfish reasons as I sold my old G1 a year ago so my entries here all have to come from my archives and sometimes it's a real stretch (as this time) to find one that meets the challenge requirements.

Maybe we should start a separate thread on this?

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
Terrywoodenpic
869 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 04, 2006 14:43 |  #2

It would be a pity to lose the FEEL of this forum.
Apart from letting other camera types join, we could let previous members of the forum stay with us with their new kit.
At the sizes we are allowed to post there is little advantage to use a DSLR for most types of shot. In many ways a G series has more in common with a canon 350 as both have a full set of modes hotshoes for off camera flash and Raw files. The G series has the advantage of a live view, and the 350 through the lens viewing and a larger sensor and high ISO. I would be happy to go against one, if they were restriscted to Iso 100. for competition.
I have often thought a g series is better for Panoramas as there is no mirror shake to settle down.
It would be nice if we could enter panos with say a restriction to 3000,000 pixels.and any format.

Any other Ideas?

Terry_______________
Over 60 years in photography
wasted money cameras never on film.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 05, 2006 02:09 |  #3

I am not sure if including other cameras is the first step to increase the number of participants although we may return to the idea if nothing else works.

There are a lot of mature G series and Pro1 users out there.
I also have read of many others searching were to buy Gs and Pro1s.

As I quoted myself in the first post, a fresh motivation to former participants will increase the number of entries, and more entries will call for more people to the challenge.

I am sure many G and Pro1 owners are reading this thread. Consider it an invitation to your personal participation in the POTN G-series Speed Challenges starting this very week.

Challenge #74 - Wrinkles or Ripples hosted by gewb is now open. :)

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 05, 2006 17:41 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #4

This forum has been both informative and enjoyable and I would be sorry to see it fade away. I think the lack of entries to some of the recent challenges has been due to two factors: the slowly diminishing number of G-series owners as the cameras are no longer in production, and in some cases the subject matter has been hard for some people to become enthusiastic about.

Given the inevitable decline in the number of G-series owners, I think the solution is to now reconsider the splitting of the forums according to type of camera (presently small compact, G-series and EOS) and instead split these forums into into beginners (newbies), advanced amateurs (prosumers) and professionals.

Today, excellent photos can be taken of the majority of photographic situations and subjects by almost any of the Canon digicams of 5mp and over. For example, I would have no trouble doing most photo journalism work just with my A95 provided it wasn't sports or indoor concerts etc., and even then with some care one could usually come up with an acceptable shot.

Similarly, most cameras are capable of excellent macros even without extra lenses, and we have seen the proof of this in contests on both forums.

In short, I learned long ago that it isn't the camera that matters most, it is the photographer. A good photographer learns to cope with his or her equipment limitations and that's the way it has always been.

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 05, 2006 23:43 |  #5

i'm a newbie here and i love the challenges. though i've only participated in one and got third place.. still i look forward to the next challenges. but sometimes, i can't relate to the topic, thus it's hard to get the mood of the pictures right. i don't wanna just submit one just for the heck of it.. i want it to be displayed with the emotion and feeling when i told the photo.

this new one.. wrinkles or ripples.. i gotta think about what to take...

EDIT: quick question.. if you are the winner of the challenge and then you become the host of the next challenge. can the host also participate in the challenge?

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 06, 2006 01:36 |  #6

My thoughts. The forum may be losing member contributions, but i do not think there is a need to 'delete' the forum, or 'merge' it with another forum or add cameras to it. It is fine being seperate as it is easier to navigate and find help solutions/post pictures, as long as there are still active members, which there are. The replies may come a bit slower than some of the other forums (but that is not too bad, as to be frank, some of the other forums just move TOO quick to keep an eye on!), but when the replies do come, they are generally very good advise.

This forum to me has been 'better than the manual'.

I am also still quite baffled as to why the production of the G-series was stopped by Canon.

Rui, I do not think it has been allowed to post a photo yourself to a challenge that you are hosting, but, personally, I do not see why not. It means more interesting shots, even though you may tailor the 'topic' of the Challenge as a springboard to enter one of your BEST photos, which may be unfair ;)

That is all

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

sando
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 06, 2006 02:43 |  #7

I think you should allow people with other cameras to participate.... :lol: I.E: ME! :)

- Matt

Terrywoodenpic
869 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 06, 2006 04:01 |  #8

I do not know why people from forums from lesser cameras should not enter pics in forums for cameras in a higher class.
Just imagine some one with a 2million pixel camera winning on the Eos forum. If the picture is good enough why not.
At the size we are showing any thing at about 2.9 m pixes is on an equal footing.

It would mean the higher the camera forum the tougher the competition and that is only right.
It would mean most newbies would find them selves competing in the small camera class. whilst 'experts', who chose to use small cameras, would enter their pictures where ever they chose, with all the risks and thrills of taking that route.

Terry_______________
Over 60 years in photography
wasted money cameras never on film.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 06, 2006 10:20 as a reply to  @ andrewaaa5's post |  #9

andrewaaa5 wrote:
....Rui, I do not think it has been allowed to post a photo yourself to a challenge that you are hosting, but, personally, I do not see why not...

Not wishing to be rude, but it would be totally ridiculous for a judge to be allowed to post an entry in his or her own challenge.

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 06, 2006 11:54 |  #10

teekay, yeah i see what you mean. then the judge might be biased to pick his or her own. but then again, it seems that if and only if the challenge is interesting, thats when more ppl will submit. otherwise, if a challenge only has 3-5 ppl submitting then it's fairly simple to choose the winner.

i use to be on dpreviews.com and still go there from time to time. that forum is pretty quick and it's not really defined by cameras. so when i found this place, this is perfect for me, because it's easy to navigate. as for the other forums, it's great, but i have to agree that perhaps some needs to be merged.

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 06, 2006 15:22 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #11

teekay wrote:
Not wishing to be rude, but it would be totally ridiculous for a judge to be allowed to post an entry in his or her own challenge.

It would mean more entries, but of course it would be silly, as they would not be able to pick themselves as winner : ) (or 2nd, 3rd : )

I was thinking perhaps there can be a 'POOL' of topics that one person manages, and from this 'pool', the same person Starts the Challenge with one of the suggested topics in this POOL. Then, Everyone can enter the Challenge with a photo that fits this Topic, even the person that STARTS the Challenge. The POOL of topics can be maintained by one person, or to be sure, 2 people, as this covers for holidays etc. The Suggestions for this POOL can come from anyone.

The person (or people) that manage this POOL of topics can be PM'd with suggestions. Here is a list of possible topics that I think we can use to add to this 'potential' POOL of topics:

1. Abandoned (items that have been left for decay/rotting, i.e. old cars/washing machines etc.)
2. Orange (something Orange related - colour/fruit/carrots/H​olland/Fake Tan etc.)
3. Big (something around the theme BIG!)
4. Etc... others to be added by other Forum users : )

In this way, the person that who Starts the Challenge will be able to pick a good 'Open' topic so that a lot of people can contribute as opposed to a topic that could be quite obscure that some people may not relate to. Then everyone can enter : )

Just an idea : )

The problem is, in this scenario, who picks the winner? The person who won the last challenge would be a good idea, OR there could be a POLL. However, there may not be enough people to vote in a POLL situation, AND the POLL would have to be started AFTER all the entries have been placed, i.e. after we know WHO can be added to the POLL, and this may slow things down, as on POLL day, maybe not everyone will be at their PCs.

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

_OC_
45 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 06, 2006 16:22 |  #12

Subject should be simple but challenging (not complicated). Newbies like me start with simple things like trees, sky, leaves etc. You have the "history" challenge (P&S) for example. Almost everybody's folder has pictures of statues, old buildings, etc.

Subject should be common in a sense that almost everybody has in their folders already. Not a subject where we have to look in a week. I think most people here is more like "I think that's in my folder" not "I'll shoot this week for the challenge". Otherwise, the only solution for entries keep pouring are incentives - which won't possibly happen. Just my two cents.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 06, 2006 18:05 |  #13

a bit of information

In my comment inside the G series Challenge # 73 I inserted a link to the history challenge of the last week in the Small Digitals Forum.

Perhaps it would have been better to use an example within the G series Challenges. Well, here it is:

Check the history challenge hosted by in Japan ten months ago

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #30 - History

As information aimed mainly to the new members, let me say that this challenges started on February 2005 and they have had a new subject every week without interruption.

A comprehensive list of links to all the G series challenges can be found in the second post of the sticky thread

POTN G-series Speed Challenge Information

rafael

abat
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 06, 2006 21:11 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #14

Just a few thoughts from a former frequent poster - I really enjoyed the times I spent with everyone in the G-series challenge. It taught me a lot about photography and allowed me to see some amazing images. But it is inevitable that many people will move on from photography or move up in models and features (as I have done). When i first moved to a 350D, I kept participating in the weekly challenges by taking my G5 out with me once a week. I enjoyed the expererience of still using the G5 but in the end found that I was pushing myself too much to capture an appropriate image in the one outing - and I didn't wan't to carry both cameras around all week. It was possible to take an image from my archives (as I have done a few times since) but in the end it became too hard and my 350D became my camera of choice.

So where is this all going ...... In my local camera club we have monthly competitions where it doesn't matter what camera you use to capture your image - it's the image and the message it conveys which is important. So maybe a way to revitalise the speed challenge is to open it up as a friendly challenge to cameras in general (ie. Canon I guess) as has been suggested. Perhaps the way to do this would be to have a designated trial period of several months to see how things work out.

G5, 30D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Kenko 1.4x and 420EX.

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 07, 2006 07:26 as a reply to  @ abat's post |  #15

Not sure if my observation is right or not, this G-series Speed Challenge has became less friendly since we introduced the rule of not letting the photographer to make comment when submitting the photo.

sponsored links

4,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thoughts about the POTN G-series Speed Challenges
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.