Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jul 2006 (Thursday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

30d confusion

ccp900
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 13, 2006 00:04 |  #1

hi guys just a lil question.

you know the continous filename thingy?

well i bought a camera and plugged in a CF card. Took some pictures and then noticed that the filename was something like 105-0620

its like folder 105 and 620th shot. Now i got pissed off coz its a new camera and it already has 620 actuations? plus its lke the 5th folder so it could even be more...

so next day i hop on back to the shop and complained. they took another camera out and we placed the same CF card into it and then took a shot and lo and behold the filename is approximately the same.....

its like the CF card is the one carrying the actuation counter (via file numbering) and not the camera. Ok so i bought a new card and formatted it and plugged it into my camera and it continued the count from where the old CF card left off.....

Im confused! 2 cameras cant have the same actuation number not unless the store took out both cameras and took the same number of shots (approximately) and then storing them back in. Any ideas how this happened?

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

sponsored links
Lani ­ Kai
"blissfully unaware"
2,132 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 13, 2006 00:06 |  #2

Yes, the CF card is what carries the file number over. Unless you put a virgin card in a new camera (or reset the file number in a different camera using the card) the file number will carry over from the previous camera. Unless your previous camera was a Nikon or something, in which case the folder would be newly created.
If you want to reset your camera so you can keep track of how many shots you've taken (minus the few you took already) just scroll down the menu to "File numbering" then hit "Manual reset"

SmugMug | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/kohei.photo"]F​acebook | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/KoheiNakamura"]Twit​ter | [URL="http://gplus.to/​koheinakamura"]Google+ | [URL="http://500px.com​/KoheiNakamura"]500pxexternal link Equipment list | Colorburnexternal link
Founder, Canon Digital Photographyexternal link group on Facebook

ccp900
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 13, 2006 00:08 |  #3

how come when i plugged in a new cf card the file number continued where it left off? I knew the CF card i threw in the first time couldnt be new (it was a freebie).

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

grego
Cream of the Crop
8,819 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 13, 2006 00:13 as a reply to  @ Lani Kai's post |  #4

Lani Kai wrote:
If you want to reset your camera so you can keep track of how many shots you've taken (minus the few you took already) just scroll down the menu to "File numbering" then hit "Manual reset"

In a sense that can work, but then you'll still be off the count, some what. And then you might need to reset again, so there'll never be an accurate count. That's happened for me.

Go UCLA (external link)!! |Gear|http://gregburmann.com (external link)SportsShooter (external link)|Flickr (external link)|

ccp900
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 13, 2006 00:19 |  #5

grego, how come youll be off the count again after doing that? i assume youll reset manually then put it back on continous from then on. right?

grego
Cream of the Crop
8,819 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 13, 2006 00:33 as a reply to  @ ccp900's post |  #6

ccp900 wrote:
grego, how come youll be off the count again after doing that? i assume youll reset manually then put it back on continous from then on. right?

If you reset, it'll start counting, but then the previous photos you took, aren't counted.

So lets say I shot 100 shots on my 30D. If i reset it would start at 0 and not count the 100 previous. You'd never have an accurate count.

Right now, I don't. I'm likely going to cross use the cards from time to time, sadly, so resetting will likely be common. It's annoying, even after formatting on my computer.

Go UCLA (external link)!! |Gear|http://gregburmann.com (external link)SportsShooter (external link)|Flickr (external link)|

ccp900
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 13, 2006 00:39 |  #7

ah i see. yeah it wont be accurate, but at least ill have a continous file number and then add a few to account for the earlier shots taken i guess....thanks for the response.

but dont you think its kind of useless if your cards are the ones who store the file number?

grego
Cream of the Crop
8,819 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 13, 2006 00:43 as a reply to  @ ccp900's post |  #8

ccp900 wrote:
ah i see. yeah it wont be accurate, but at least ill have a continous file number and then add a few to account for the earlier shots taken i guess....thanks for the response.

but dont you think its kind of useless if your cards are the ones who store the file number?

Sadly, yes, I think it is useless, because people have a good chance of having inaccurate counts. Although Canon can give you the actual amount, but that means dealing with them. I likely won't sell my 30D, but if i did it will suck trying to give a number, because usually people want to know.

Lani ­ Kai
"blissfully unaware"
2,132 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 13, 2006 01:10 |  #9

I think the idea is that the file number is the one following the higher of the count in the camera and the CF card. When you do a flie number reset the camera will create a new folder. This way, no two images will have the same file number in any given folder.

SmugMug | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/kohei.photo"]F​acebook | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/KoheiNakamura"]Twit​ter | [URL="http://gplus.to/​koheinakamura"]Google+ | [URL="http://500px.com​/KoheiNakamura"]500pxexternal link Equipment list | Colorburnexternal link
Founder, Canon Digital Photographyexternal link group on Facebook

storeman
642 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 13, 2006 04:44 |  #10

You could try this IF you have a reasonable Idea of the number of shots you have taken. I have tried it on my 20D and it works

1 - Set the camera to reset the count
2 - Put an empty card in the camera and format it.
3 - Take a shot - it will be named IMG_0001.jpg, IMG_0001.CR2 or both
4 - Take out the card and set the camera to continous count
5 - Using a card reader, rename the file(s) on the card with your computer to the number of shots you think you have taken i.e IMG_0067.CR2 / IMG_0067.JPG
6 - Put the card back in the camera and take another shot and it should be back on course.

My Gear List.

ccp900
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 13, 2006 05:50 |  #11

nice idea ill try that out after i get a card reader. thanks again

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 13, 2006 13:28 |  #12

Why does this matter? All I need is a file name that is different from any in the directory where I am going to copy it. I don't really care what the name is.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jul 13, 2006 13:45 as a reply to  @ ScottE's post |  #13

ScottE wrote:
Why does this matter? All I need is a file name that is different from any in the directory where I am going to copy it. I don't really care what the name is.

Some people like to keep track of their shutter activations. With continous file numbering, it gives you a rough idea. That is why it is recommended that if you have multiple camera bodies or you are upgrading your camera to a new model, that you format all your cards in the computer as opposed to in camera. By formatting in computer, you remove all file numbering....in camera format retains the file number info.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

aparmley
508 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 13, 2006 14:01 |  #14

MY 30D was brand new and my first image was IMG_5540 [I think thats what the very first one was. . .]

Switched to Nikon . . . Thanks to all of you that made my sale a success! Enjoy your new gear!

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,646 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jul 13, 2006 16:13 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #15

Woolburr wrote:
Some people like to keep track of their shutter activations. With continous file numbering, it gives you a rough idea. That is why it is recommended that if you have multiple camera bodies or you are upgrading your camera to a new model, that you format all your cards in the computer as opposed to in camera. By formatting in computer, you remove all file numbering....in camera format retains the file number info.

That will work until......

1. You get a back up camera
2. Someone borrows your CF card
3. You get multiple CF cards for multiple cameras
4. You and your friend go shooting together and you loan each other cards

Formatting in the computer will address most of this, but it's not worth the hassle of trying to keep it all straight to me. I just put all my cameras on continuos and rename my files as required when they've be downloaded to the computer.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,482 views & 0 likes for this thread
30d confusion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.