Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 13 Jul 2006 (Thursday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some dance recital pics

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 13, 2006 10:01 |  #1

Shot these a few weeks ago, and figured it would be a good idea to get some feedback. Any suggestions/comments will be welcomed. Thanks!

-Gregg

First 2 are of my daughter from a dance/tumbling number 'Tarzan'.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
nhbeast
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 13, 2006 10:03 |  #2

And these 2 are from her Tap number. Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 13, 2006 10:19 |  #3

Pity you had to use flash. Last two show some stage lighting however (good thing you selected ISO 800). Looks nicer than the first two. Getting a fast lens might be helpfull; then you could've shot without flash.
Shame the last one is OoF.
Not bad considering circumstances.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 13, 2006 12:03 |  #4

Welcome to POTN. Dance is about feet (and faces ... all people images are about faces) and you've cut off her feet in two of four images. To help otherwise it would be nice to know the camera/lens and technical data. I like the last image a lot but think it could be sharpened a bit.

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

prep
245 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 13, 2006 12:27 |  #5

Dito the feet, or foot. It is a pity you did not get the 1st shot a bit sooner or later. She is looking down and her eyes are covered but she has not yet started her tumble. Either with her looking forward, and into the tumble would be better.

But nice shots, and she does it well!

~pr

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 13, 2006 12:46 |  #6

#2 is a great catch, but it looks like she has balloons growing out of her ...

It's not your fault. Someone on the decorating committee needs an education.

As Dwight said, it would be easier to make suggestions if we know what equipment you have.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

nhbeast
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 13, 2006 12:54 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #7

Thanks all.
These were shot with the 350D and 70-200mm f/2.8L lens. I couldn't get closer to the stage to use something smaller unfortunately. I was playing with the AV and Tv settings trying to get the best I could... Still getting used to all this, it's my first non-stock lens.

It was dark in there and I could not get lose enough to the stage to go without a flash unfortunately. I did notice I cut some feet in pictures...I need to work on that!

-Gregg

-Gregg
===============

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 13, 2006 14:03 |  #8

Next time try ISO 1600 with the lens wide open in Av mode. You may need a faster lens to get shutter speeds fast enough to freeze dancers.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

TimAndrea
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 09, 2006 13:27 |  #9

not bad, i have really gotten into taking pics at dance competitions, i have found that 1/250 works well and 1/320 if i can get away with it. then obviously wide open, i use the same lense as you have. and iso of no more than 800, i dont like the grain. also shoot in raw, it will give you more room to boost the lighting when processing

sponsored links

1,466 views & 0 likes for this thread
Some dance recital pics
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.