Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 16 Jul 2006 (Sunday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN Safari around South/West Africa - we are baaack :-)

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 16, 2006 08:30 |  #1

Join us on the trip or contribute your help and encouragement based on your own safari experience :-)

This thread started as an invitation to anyone who wanted to go on a self drive group photography safari to Southern Africa, specifically Namibian, Botswana and South Africa. It is now in the planning stage with exact dates and routes to be agreed by the group.

Free free to chat and contribute in this thread as we go, but note that posts are being deleted every few days as info is assimilated into the FAQ Wiki (external link). This 'clean up' approach will keep the thread very easy to read and manage.

As posts are deleted they are moved to this archive thread: POTN Safari around South/West Africa - archive ** the archive thread has now been merged back to this master thread.

Safari FAQ's

Here is the Safari Project Wiki FAQ: Click (external link)

The Safari FAQ's will be constantly edited and distilled as we go forward with research and planning! The final FAQ should provide most of the information we need and also confirm all key arrangements in advance :-) It may also be a very valuable resource for people at POTN in future.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

sponsored links
Olli
-Mighty Mod-
5,463 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 16, 2006 09:43 |  #2

POTN Safari around South/West Africa - archive

I'm highly interested, but having already committed to be in South Am early 2007, this might be both financially and time vise a mission-almost-impossible to me. :( I still bookmark this and keep fingers crossed, that miracles will happen.

My Instagrams (external link)
"The best travel is a leap in the dark. If the destination were familiar and friendly what would be the point in going there?" (Paul Theroux: Dark Star Safari)
Image Posting Rules

Az2Africa
Goldmember
3,481 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 16, 2006 09:44 |  #3

I would love to do it. The only problem is that we Yanks only get 2 weeks of Holiday. I love Overlanding. A group participation camping Safari with food/expense kitty as described by Condyk is the only really good way to do it.I think Condyk could head one up very well. I ran these overland trips for several years and he described it and the personality type needed perfectly. I wish I could go!!! Who knows, things could change between now and then.
BWT here's a photo of my truck taken at Lake Naivasha in 2000.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"If you're not living on the edge. You're taking up too much room !"
My Gear Arizona's POTN Flickr Gallery (external link)

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 16, 2006 11:27 as a reply to  @ Olli's post |  #4

Hey, Dave.... a couple of questions for you IM me when you get a chance...

sari.

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

eenorton
Goldmember
2,362 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 16, 2006 11:57 as a reply to  @ Olli's post |  #5

Wow! You are quite the salesman, Condyk!! I say yes! yes! yes! Except... :( the length of trip you suggest. I'm in the same shoes as Az2Africa, with only 2 weeks of holiday. Actually, I get 18 days.... and with that plan, I'll leave you in charge of phoning my 80 yr old folks and explaining why I won't be visiting next year. :) Question about the cost. The approximate cost you quoted... that would be in addition to air fare? That might knock me out of the running 'cause it looks like it would cost about $2000 in air fare alone (unless az2Africa has better info).

Beth

condyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 16, 2006 12:20 as a reply to  @ Olli's post |  #6

Wow, you guys are slaves of capitalism :lol: :lol: Great truck az2A. Not sure about the approach to air conditioning in the back tho ;-)a

In terms of costs I am making a very rough guess and assume airfair included. Basically, unless you want luxury, I think that is realistic and provides for a decent standard of accommodation, ie clean, comfy and safe. Also, with newish vehicles fully prepared from a well know company like Avis, etc. or a very reputable local operator with some recommendations behind them. There are people I can ask in South Africa about local stuff like that.

I guess my minimum interest would be 14 days or so in Namibia, each flying direct into Windhoek, but it seems such a shame to not take the opportunity to its fullest. Any less would be too rushed. If that was an agreement then I would want to travel north and west of Etosha too, as I didn't visit those regions previously. It is fascinating and remote up there but we just didn't have time to go. We went down and across to the Skeleton Coast instead and I probably wouldn't want to go there again when there is new stuff for me to see, like the Desert Elephant and Lion. Amazing place the Skeleton Coast tho' so hard to cross it off.

I would also be happy with just Botswana or NE South Africa, ie Kruger and the coast and some of the other game parks there. However, I won't go back alone so I would go with the concensus as at least I get to go back to Africa :D

Ok, so we have some initial interest already ... :D

cjsa
646 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 16, 2006 12:27 as a reply to  @ Olli's post |  #7

I'd love to go, but probably can't. Surely not for a month, unless my job situation changes radically.

-Carol
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/carol.albanese (external link)

lakiluno
slightly jealous
2,895 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 16, 2006 12:33 as a reply to  @ Olli's post |  #8

hmm...if only I could somehow miss my exams and raise 5k in the next year :(

maybe next time.

Leo
20D|Tamron 17-50 2.8|Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro|50 1.8|Sigma EF-500 DG Super|
My Photo Gallery (external link) *New* | My Gear List | Backup Photos Easily with Robocopy

eenorton
Goldmember
2,362 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 16, 2006 12:59 as a reply to  @ Olli's post |  #9

OK Dave. If this can be a 14 day trip.... and the cost looks like it would be around $4000US, I'm a definite. Really. I am more than happy to leave the route planning to you since you (and anyone else wanting some input) have experience there and have some specific ideas of where you'd like to go. I would just be happy travelling with someone (or two or three or four) who has been there before and has some idea about what we'd be getting into. More remote? That's just fine with me. I've done my fair share of camping and communing with mother nature. No problem rooming or tenting with whoever. And more than happy to pull my fair share whenever and whereever necessary. I'll even volunteer for the job of treasurer.

Beth

condyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 16, 2006 13:14 as a reply to  @ Olli's post |  #10

Ok, so far we have two definates (me and Beth), an almost definate subject to cost and where we go and who we go with (Sari) and a very interested, but not sure yet (Tommy J).

Then we have Olli who is a maybe, but has other travel commitments and things to consider, Carol who wants to but needs a new job with long holidays ;-)a Leo who is so young we would be arrested for child abduction :p and Az2A who wants to go but is maybe worried about holiday, but will see what happens meantime.

Beth, there are no guarentee's on prices until we do all the research, but for two weeks I think you are probably about right at around $4000/£2300/Euro3200 (very rough currency translation!) I think the Namibian $ gives a very nice exchange rate v's the US$. I will need to check that stuff again as it can make a nice difference day to day.

What fun ... anyone else, please throw your hat in ring and assume we are talking about:

1. a wildlife photography safari in Southern Africa
  2. one or two vehicles (probably wouldn't need a 4x4 in South Africa, more a 4x2 so would be a bit cheaper)
  3. min 4 and max 6-8 people
  4. exact time and location to be agreed as we approach finally a point of handing over 'commitment deposit' towards the end of this year.

eenorton
Goldmember
2,362 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 16, 2006 13:24 as a reply to  @ condyk's post |  #11

condyk wrote:
Beth, there are no guarentee's on prices until we do all the research, but for two weeks I think you are probably about right at around $4000/£2300/Euro3200 (very rough currency translation!) I think the Namibian $ gives a very nice exchange rate v's the US$. I will need to check that stuff again as it can make a nice difference day to day.

Understood Dave. I won't hold you to the $$$ quotes. My employer just came through with a very generous raise, so this is all, for the very first time ever, very doable for me!! I am *so* excited!!!!

Beth

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,001 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jul 16, 2006 13:50 as a reply to  @ Olli's post |  #12

As You know I am very interested and at this stage I would say I am in for the full month (99,9% sure). If it can only be 14 days I am also in but would prefer at least 3 weeks.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

condyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 16, 2006 14:09 as a reply to  @ Olli's post |  #13

Cool Tommy ... wow, this forum can move fast when it feels like it. Your duration preferences are noted ;-)a So that is pretty much a vehicle filled with people who have strong commitments, tho' still obviously subject to final details being agreed.

Alongside the typical Toyota 4x4's there are also hire 4x4 VW touring minibuses that could be worth looking at if we didn't go for the real remote stuff. They would allow more luggage at the expense of off-road ability, ruggedness and comfort. So, let's keep those as at least an option if we have say 6 wanting to do Kruger and the east coast of South Africa for 2 weeks. Good tar roads there, not such distances to travel and not too remote at all so would be good choice and I think rather cheaper.

May also be possible for some to do a month but as part of a split trip, i.e. two weeks Botswana and two weeks NE/Coast South Africa, with the two week people choosing one or the other, with Jo'burg as the pickup and drop off point. That would change the focus perhaps from 100% safari to 70% safari and 30% coastal/beach/diving (some great reefs off the coast of KwaZulu Natal). A great combo.

So, lots of options to think about.

eenorton
Goldmember
2,362 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 16, 2006 14:12 as a reply to  @ tommykjensen's post |  #14

tommykjensen wrote:
As You know I am very interested and at this stage I would say I am in for the full month (99,9% sure). If it can only be 14 days I am also in but would prefer at least 3 weeks.

I could *possibly* stretch it to 3 weeks.... Just have to make sure that travel time to and from doesn't take me over my allocated vacation time.

Beth

condyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 16, 2006 14:21 as a reply to  @ Olli's post |  #15

Three weeks would work for me and we could agree a good, tight but relaxed schedule and priorities list in advance so we don't waste too much time. A couple of people could also arrive a day or two earlier if they wanted to and start to get things together so we're all ready to go.

Here is a forum (external link) I visited last year and found useful. It is South African based, and traffic is a lot slower than here, but people have a good general knowledge of the region. I have recently mentioned to one member there, also a member here, that I will be planning this trip. He says members will be happy to help with contacts and recommendations as we firm things up. So, a cross continent and cross forum adventure :-)

sponsored links

207,750 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN Safari around South/West Africa - we are baaack :-)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.