Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 04 Aug 2006 (Friday) 16:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New website, comments please

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 04, 2006 16:58 |  #1

Hi all,

Just finished a website to display some of my photos. Would like to get feedback on the site, especially load time for photos, picture quality, ease of use & navigation....plus any comments on the photos themselves!

Here's the link: http://www.completefit​ness.com.au/photos (external link)

Thanks
Darryn

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

sponsored links
AirBrontosaurus
Goldmember
3,814 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 05, 2006 00:03 |  #2

Wow. A sharp looking gallery with some really cool shots. I like the layout/interface as well

Chris | My Flickr (external link) | AirBrontosaurus.com (external link) | Peleng 8mm Fisheye writeup (external link)
Body
: Canon 5D
Lenses: Canon 24-105mm f/4 L | Canon MP-E 65mm Macro | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

SubDude3000
20 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 05, 2006 05:32 |  #3

Fantastic, well captured Photos :)

Canon 30d, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM, MacBook
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/javamountain/ (external link)

MikeMcL
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 05, 2006 06:12 |  #4

i really like the gallery style. what builder did you use. the pics you have chosen are stunning, great locations and captures

350d, 5d, 28-70L, 70-200L, 430EX,
50 1.8, 85 1.8 - full alienbees studio set.

MikeMcLane.comexternal link

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 05, 2006 07:17 |  #5

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Mike, I used simpleviewer & autoviewer (free downloads from http:///www.airtightin​teractive.com) for the flash content of both the index and slideshow views. I played around with it a fair bit and it's embedded in a fairly simple php page that runs off templates. I'd like to customise the slideshow a bit more so will look at getting the pro version of autoviewer.

Darryn

| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

jrjphoto
355 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 13, 2006 22:14 as a reply to  @ mckay photography's post |  #6

It's a nice looking photo gallery, but the images take waaaay too long to load. Maybe it's cuz I'm in the US and you're in Australia. But the parent site loaded pretty quick. I'd want to run those gallery photos through Photoshop and compress them a whole bunch. Other than that, it looks fantastic! :)

Jason R. Johnston, Photographer
Texas, USA | My Portfolio (external link) | My Gear

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 13, 2006 22:17 |  #7

Hi jrjphoto, thanks for that feedback, i am worried the photos would take too long. I've saved them with low quality in photoshop, but how do you recommend compressing them? I havent done that before so talk me through it!

jrjphoto
355 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 13, 2006 22:41 as a reply to  @ mckay photography's post |  #8

In Photoshop, make the images the height/width that they need to be to look good and yet fit most browsers. I like to make mine somewhere around 800 px wide (or tall). On my current site, they are no more than 640px wide (or tall) to make room for the navigation bar.

So, resize your images.

Next, if you're using any version of Photoshop 7 or better (including Elements 3) there is a thingie underneath your Save, Save as... dialogue under File that's called Save for Web. Click on that. It's super good at getting rid of extra color information and therefore making your files smaller so they load faster. This is the compression part. :)

I would use JPEG (.jpg) at High Quality (which is probably around 60-80%, whatever looks good—and the image viewer will show you a preview of the picture with those compression settings you're specifying so make it look nice, but watch the file size and try to keep it around 200KB).

That's pretty much it. Once you're satisfied with your preview image, just save it to whatever your image directory is for your website. Just don't save over your original file. That would kinda suck. :)

Take a look at my website/gallery (external link) thingie and you'll see what I did. No photo is over 640 pixels wide or tall and the file sizes are about 100KB.

Also, if you're doing thumbnails, find out how small you want them and make those thumbnails that size... that way they are super tiny and download super fast. I can wait a few seconds for a high res image to download, but not for a hundred thumbnails which are actually just the high res images scaled down in the browser.

Also, thumbnails don't need to be super high quality so you can just save them as regular JPEGs at medium compression and that'll work just fine. Just be sure you're saving them in the thumbs folder and not in the images folder where your big images are. Otherwise, folks will just be staring at thumbnails all day with a ton of dead space.

Hope this helps. :)

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 13, 2006 22:44 |  #9

perfect, thanks!

jrjphoto
355 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 13, 2006 22:49 as a reply to  @ mckay photography's post |  #10

No problem. Let me know if it works or if what I told you sucks monkey rectum. Whichever. :cool:

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 05, 2007 01:55 |  #11

razyl wrote in post #1812227 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Mike, I used simpleviewer & autoviewer (free downloads from http:///www.airtightin​teractive.com) for the flash content of both the index and slideshow views. I played around with it a fair bit and it's embedded in a fairly simple php page that runs off templates. I'd like to customise the slideshow a bit more so will look at getting the pro version of autoviewer.

Darryn

razyl,

did you end up getting autoviewer pro? if so, how do you like it.

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 05, 2007 02:08 |  #12

Hi there,
No didnt get the autoviewer pro, although for the slideshow style it would be good to lose the numbers at the top etc.
My latest simpleviewer set up is here: http://www.mckayphotog​raphy.com.au/photos/ti​bet (external link)
Darryn

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 05, 2007 11:11 |  #13

razyl wrote in post #2817313 (external link)
Hi there,
No didnt get the autoviewer pro, although for the slideshow style it would be good to lose the numbers at the top etc.
My latest simpleviewer set up is here: http://www.mckayphotog​raphy.com.au/photos/ti​bet (external link)
Darryn

Wow. Great site. You've been to some amazing places.

I'm thinking about getting pro just to get rid of the download button.

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

sponsored links

1,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
New website, comments please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.