Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 10 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 08:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

this gets me angry

4830Deuce
84 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 10, 2006 08:18 |  #1

Just spread that mis-information around aol... idiots...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Canon 5D \ Grip \ EF-S 17-40mm f4L \ EF 24-70mm f/2.8L \ 70-200mm f/4L \ 50mm 1.4 USM \ blah, blah, blah...

sponsored links
Carpetshark
159 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 10, 2006 09:58 |  #2

Don't blame too much on AO-hell - this is more marketing hype than anything else.
The general public doesn't understand megapixels. I think it's being equated to horsepower.

Carpetshark

20D
Tamron 18-250
Tamron 28-75 2.8

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 10, 2006 10:06 |  #3

A lot of people I ask don't even know what megapixels are. When I was looking at the new Alpha in Circuit City yesterday, a couple I knew was looking for a camera. (tiny P&S) I asked them, "what are you looking for in your camera? what do you want it to do that your current camera doesn't already do?" They said "well, we want more zoom, and we want more megapixels." I said, "how many MP is your current camera, and what's the zoom?" They said "something like 3x, and it's a 5". So, I asked why they thought they needed more megapixels. Asked if they liked to make big prints. They said "no, we just want more megapixels." I got a bit testy and said "..but why?" They said "we just want a better camera". Goes to show you. They thought more MP equated to a better camera.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 10, 2006 10:16 |  #4

Goes to show me that Ronald S. Jr. will not make a good camera salesman....:lol:

It's marketing hype. You can't move merchandise unless you can get people to 'upgrade' to the latest and the greatest.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 10, 2006 10:33 |  #5

I have a couple family members who fall in the megapixel hype... and actually think the Megapixels on my XT justified my upgrade...this works in my favor so I leave it alone... the simple fact is that people believe what they hear and read.. I have stood in front of a counter while somebody was sold a nine megapixel point and shoot that took AA batteries with a 3x zoom.. Did this grandma need nine megapixels, heck no.. But, that salesman decided that that's what he wanted to sell her and as far as I know she probably left thinking she had just bought the best camera in the world.. and the fact is that she's going to be happy with it.. to each their own I don't stress too much about folks not understanding the technology their purchasing.. it's pretty universal and if you ask them they don't really want to understand anyway...

by the way, I wasn't buying anything but batteries for my speedlight in the store..

sari

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 10, 2006 11:09 |  #6

4830Deuce wrote:
Just spread that mis-information around aol... idiots...

They're worse than idiots - they're marketers whose goal is to make everybody else an idiot.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 10, 2006 11:19 as a reply to  @ Tom W's post |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I don't understand why that makes you angry.

It's America Online, for Pete's sake, not dpreview.com...

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photography (external link)

Jeece
452 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 10, 2006 11:23 as a reply to  @ Tom W's post |  #8

People just buy numbers. Like horsepowers in a car, megahertz in a computer...

My digicam has more megapixel than yours! (says somebody who bought a brand new no-name "10 mp" camera on ebay for $100) :lol:

-Jeece
Olympus OM-D E-M10
Canon S2 IS

Becca
Lady in Red
7,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 10, 2006 12:03 |  #9

What's funny is I had to look up how many megapixels my camera had! The main reason I went to a DSLR was the flexibility it gave me by being able to change f-stop, shutter speed and lenses.

One of my mom's friends brought his new camera over to show me. It was a Panasonic Lumix, 6 megapixel with 6x optical and 4x digital zoom. He tried to convince me that it was better than mine because he had presets for fireworks, night scenery, portraits, etc. I just smiled and told him he should be able to get some really nice snapshots with it. :) After we had both taken pictures of the fireworks show, he came over and we compared pictures. He asked how I was able to get multiple bursts in one shot, I explained about the bulb setting that allowed me to leave the shutter open long enough to get more than one. He said, "They make cameras that do that?" :D

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 10, 2006 12:14 |  #10

It's like what my gf said the other day in a jewelry store at the mall, "...but this one has more stones, and bigger center stone too". Girl...:rolleyes:

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

Claire
Ikea Wannabee
8,181 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 10, 2006 13:36 as a reply to  @ cfcRebel's post |  #11

cfcRebel wrote:
It's like what my gf said the other day in a jewelry store at the mall, "...but this one has more stones, and bigger center stone too". Girl...:rolleyes:

Ah, but what KIND of stones? How many carats? How big incisions (is that the word?) Type of cut? Where from? Massproduced or unique? etc :grin:

My Photo Website - (external link) | My Flickr gallery (external link) | Photography Blog (external link) | My Twitter account (external link) | Become a Fan on Facebook (external link)
"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"

BryanP
679 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 10, 2006 13:42 |  #12

That's the general public for you. People are suckers for large numbers in electronics because it makes things seem so much better because theres somewhat an ill-fed concept that having "more" is always "better."

These are the people who brag about having a lot of horse power and torque in their bahemut-weighted cars, or at least think in that mind-set.

The only problem that we hobbyist/professionals have is that we cannot accept the fact that for people who don't take photography seriously, that these people in general don't usually do all the extraneous research to understand why megapixels don't mean everything. They don't understand that you need literally quadruple the resolution value to obtain double its resolution. They don't understand that car weight is a factor in determining the horsepower and torque put to power it.

In the ideal world, everyone would do extensive research first and learn about things before purchasing. But this isn't the ideal world is it? If it were, I'd have my millions of dollars by now and not worry about having to wake up in the morning to go to work.

Canon 1D | Canon 10D | Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 | Tamron 28-75/2.8 | Canon 50/1.8 | Canon 70-200/2.8L
The Daily Californian (external link) Photographer

Equipment- My Complete Gear List
Portfolio - Take a look at my portfolio in SmugMug (external link)

kram
obvious its pointless
2,611 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 10, 2006 20:38 |  #13

Come on....give the camera guys a break. How else can they ever sell more cameras??

The other way is to go the cellphone route - make it everything else. Imagine the addons - mp3 player, phone, shaving razor :) I would rather have more megapixels - atleast, its still a camera

Canon 7D , Canon 6D, 100-400 L, 24-105 F4 L, 50 F1.4, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 1.4X Extender
My Gallery (external link)

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 10, 2006 20:47 |  #14

Yeah no reason to get angry.

I mean if you look at the millions of people in the USA and the 6 billion or whatever in the world... How many of them REALLLLLYYYY know about cameras? Not all of them are into photography as much as us on here... And thats loosely speaking because I realize not everyone on these forums is either.

No sense in getting mad at a poll that was taken using "average" people.

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

kram
obvious its pointless
2,611 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 10, 2006 22:45 |  #15

Its like people buying speakers based on pmpo (which included me once)!! Bigger is better has been hammered into our heads :)

Canon 7D , Canon 6D, 100-400 L, 24-105 F4 L, 50 F1.4, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 1.4X Extender
My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,902 views & 0 likes for this thread
this gets me angry
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.