Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 17 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 00:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please Post Your Billingham Bags!

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 06, 2014 06:49 |  #1321

noelty wrote in post #16728578 (external link)
Received my Billingham Hadley Pro last night...I really like this bag!

I keep returning to the Hadley pro more than others in my closet. It's taken on an enhanced role with my switch to mirrorless cameras. It's been serving a mixed use role for business travel along with photography. Photo gear, Macbook air, personal comfort items and personal effects, all in one water proof bag that looks the part when well-dressed. I keep a small Avea pocket on one end in which to store my spectacles when shooting.

sponsored links
freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 08, 2014 10:35 |  #1322

I use my Hadley pro for everything but backpacking at this point. I like to use the fstop guru for day trips

Camera: Leica M240 - Summilux 35mm 1.4 FLE
PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8
NAS/Server: Synology DS213air // 2x 2TB WD Red NAS drives

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 09, 2014 20:40 |  #1323

Hadley Digital: I am so impressed with this little bag.
In a pinch I can stuff my d300s with grip attached, and 18-200VR mounted. It's tight.
It's incredible with my m43'rds gear.
* OMD with grip and kit zoom
* E-PM2 with kit zoom
* moderate tele zoom in the pocket on the front. (40-150?)
The Oly OMD M-5 is immediately accessible. the E-PM2 with kit zoom and lens hood attached! is buried under neath.
To do this I had to remove one of the velcro fastened dividers.

I have had real trouble adapting to M43'rds gear. Brought the OMD home and put a big strap on it,and put it into a bag I used to carry my dslr gear. Where's the advantage? It's supposed to be small and lightweight!

Dave

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Mar 10, 2014 05:15 |  #1324

2mnycars wrote in post #16746638 (external link)
I have had real trouble adapting to M43'rds gear.

You're not the only one.

2mnycars wrote in post #16746638 (external link)
Brought the OMD home and put a big strap on it,and put it into a bag I used to carry my dslr gear. Where's the advantage? It's supposed to be small and lightweight!

I got rid of all my M43 gear, and returned to my DSLRs for my interchangeable-lens system. Turns out that as soon as you decide to have multiple lenses and carry them with you, the size advantage, while still there, is not that much of an advantage any more.

I have a Fuji X100 and a Sony RX100M2 for my compact needs. Non-removable lenses make things really simple, and the outfits stay small as a result! :)

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 10, 2014 13:24 |  #1325

Rudi I understand fully. I used to have 2systems in old days. Nikon with pro grade glass. Leica M3 with a couple of lenses.
I have tried Sony NEX. Don't ask. Now an Olympus OMD M-5. It has been a difficult path. I added a Nikon 1V1 for a while.
Reflection. should have bought the smallest dslr body with the same lens mount as my primary camera, and whatever lens I coveted.
after all it is all about getting the images I need.
Learning Oly talk has been painful. and the M-5 doesn't follow focus worth a darn, the way I use it.

we have a small car and space is limited. That is part of my motive.

Dave

mag10
357 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 11, 2014 02:26 |  #1326

Billingham BPH

Does anyone have any experience using the Billingham back pack harness (BPH) with their bags? I'm considering getting it for my Packington and am wondering how comfortable it is and how well it works.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Sony DSC-RX100M3 | Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller

VirtualRain
541 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 11, 2014 19:36 |  #1327

I keep considering a Billingham bag because they look so damn good, however, I'd like to hear some honest feedback about just how functional they are... If you use one for a walk-around bag and change lenses (shoot with primes)... can you get your gear in and out of them without a lot of hassle? If you're in a situation where you may need to change lenses, it looks like you're going to want to open the top canvas cover and even tuck that between the bag and your body to get it out of the way, (god forbid if you have a Hadley Pro with a top handle) and then you need to contend with the top padded flap on the insert... all while trying to change a lens... I'm all for great protection but not if it makes it a PITA to get my gear in/out of the bag. Does my concern have any basis in fact?

Sony a7rII / 24-240 / Zeiss 25, 55, 85

BobbyM
280 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 11, 2014 19:55 |  #1328

VirtualRain wrote in post #16751759 (external link)
I keep considering a Billingham bag because they look so damn good, however, I'd like to hear some honest feedback about just how functional they are... If you use one for a walk-around bag and change lenses (shoot with primes)... can you get your gear in and out of them without a lot of hassle? If you're in a situation where you may need to change lenses, it looks like you're going to want to open the top canvas cover and even tuck that between the bag and your body to get it out of the way, (god forbid if you have a Hadley Pro with a top handle) and then you need to contend with the top padded flap on the insert... all while trying to change a lens... I'm all for great protection but not if it makes it a PITA to get my gear in/out of the bag. Does my concern have any basis in fact?

I see in your sig you have the 5DIII . I posted a pic on the previous page of this thread the day before I returned the hadley pro with the same camera. I would not recommend it

https://photography-on-the.net …p=16723297&post​count=1314

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 11, 2014 20:03 |  #1329

www.rangefinderstore.c​om (external link) is my source.
That is the way I prefer to work. My bag choice includes Domke F3X and F2. Now Billingham Hadley Pro. Hadley Digital when I want to travel lighter.
I tried a Think Tank Retro 10. It was much heavier. I didn't like the rain over at all. Traded the bag for a Think Tank Speed Racer, which is a very easy bag to shoot from. I haven't used the SR in rain though. (and it is huge compared to my F3x, which carries the same amount of gear.
Perhaps Jon can help with a recommendation.

Thanks BobbyM. I don't shoot with Canon gear. My Hadley Pro works with my d300s until I put my grip on it. It will carry it, but it is distorted.

Dave

VirtualRain
541 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 12, 2014 02:21 |  #1330

BobbyM wrote in post #16751798 (external link)
I see in your sig you have the 5DIII . I posted a pic on the previous page of this thread the day before I returned the hadley pro with the same camera. I would not recommend it

https://photography-on-the.net …p=16723297&post​count=1314

Yeah, thanks... I agree the Hadley bags are too narrow for a full sized body, yet they seem pretty popular here. I was personally looking at the 207 or f1.4 bags... Both look great but look horrendous (esp. 207 with grab handles and zipper) to get gear in/out of. I don't want to fight the bag every time it want to put the camera in/out or swap lenses. My bag needs to be "handy" first then "stylish" second. Am I likely to be disappointed?

Edit: I also agree with you about the Hadley line somewhat resembling a purse...(my GF also thinks this). I think it's the small buckles on the front that create this perception. That's another reason why the 7-series and f-stop series look better to my eyes. They just look more masculine.

Anyway, I'm still fearful they're designed to look good at the expense of practicality, but I'd love to hear otherwise.

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Mar 12, 2014 06:20 |  #1331

I regularly used to fit two 5D bodies, with large L zooms attached, plus other lenses and gear, into my Hadley Pro. No issues at all. The bag is designed to carry that sort of gear! But... if you worry about the bag being distorted, then it's not the bag for you.

Personally, I consider the Hadley line of bags to be the best shoulder camera bags on the planet. When I want to carry my gear over my shoulder, I use the Hadley Large these days. :)

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 12, 2014 15:13 as a reply to  @ Rudi's post |  #1332

I also use the Hadley Pro with a 5D-III (ungripped, but do have a L-Plate attached).

Keep in mind the Hadley Pro is designed to bulge out in the center. If you look down on the Hadley Pro from above, it is actually a " D " shape ... the center dividers are wider than the bag-end dividers. Also, the "shell tub" is highly expandable, out to the extent of the outer bag limits. This keeps your gear snuggly in place and not shifting around while walking.

I also have a 207 and F-Stop_2.8. They are deeper and do not seem to carry as well since they don't conform to your hip like the thinner Hadley series. They are more like the "boxy" shaped bags everyone else sells.

You might also look at the Hadley "Large" if you want something deeper (and taller). There is supposed to be a new "Large-PRO" available which will have a handle on the top, but I haven't seen one available yet.

-howard

-howard

VirtualRain
541 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 12, 2014 15:42 |  #1333

hfgarris wrote in post #16753708 (external link)
I also use the Hadley Pro with a 5D-III (ungripped, but do have a L-Plate attached).

Keep in mind the Hadley Pro is designed to bulge out in the center. If you look down on the Hadley Pro from above, it is actually a " D " shape ... the center dividers are wider than the bag-end dividers. Also, the "shell tub" is highly expandable, out to the extent of the outer bag limits. This keeps your gear snuggly in place and not shifting around while walking.

Thanks for your insights... How do you find getting your camera in/out of the bag... and what about doing a lens change... are you fighting the bag lid and padded insert top to get at your gear? Can you tuck the top cover between the bag and your body when actively shooting and changing lenses?

splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 12, 2014 17:18 |  #1334

hfgarris wrote in post #16753708 (external link)
You might also look at the Hadley "Large" if you want something deeper (and taller). There is supposed to be a new "Large-PRO" available which will have a handle on the top, but I haven't seen one available yet.

I haven't seen one in a retail store here in the UK either.

But I believe they are available direct from billingham online store: http://www.billingham.​co.uk/acatalog/Hadleys​.html (external link)

I'm looking to get a sage chocolate one, just have to scrounge a few more pennies.

I have no issues other than weight with my gripless mkiii and the Hadley large or pro. It may bulge a little but the profile of the loaded bag still feels slim to me. I definitely would use the large over the pro when taking more than two lenses.

VirtualRain
541 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 16, 2014 01:58 as a reply to  @ splbound's post |  #1335

I've been following this thread for a long time and even posted a couple of times as I've been pondering a Billingham bag for some time. While I love the craftsmanship, materials and quality of Billingham, today I had a chance to look at both a Hadley Pro and an Ona Brixton at a local camera shop and I ended up ordering a Brixton when I got home.  :o

While the bags are nearly the same size, the Ona is ever so slightly wider and deeper which just suits my gear that much better. In spite of this, the Brixton actually looks slimmer and tighter (not so baggy). I also like the flap fastening system better on the Brixton. The Hadley grab handle is more robust but the Brixton also has a grab handle which will work just fine for occasionally grabbing the bag. I will primarily be using the shoulder strap so the fact it had a grab handle is enough. I also like the looks of the Brixton better (black waxed canvas with reddish brown leather accents) it just looks more masculine/weathered and the look suits me better... I just can't help but seeing a man purse when I look at the Hadley. Unfortunately the other more masculine Billingham lines are way too big or have other issues. Billingham just doesn't make the perfect bag for me.

Anyway, the reason I post this is not to bash Billingham... as I said off the top, I love the craftsmanship and everything the brand represents, but it's just not for me. So if you're in the same boat, check out Ona Bags, they have some very high quality good looking products as well. :cool:

sponsored links

671,009 views & 48 likes for this thread
Please Post Your Billingham Bags!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.