Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 17 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 00:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please Post Your Billingham Bags!

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 30, 2014 16:02 |  #1381

mcmxvi wrote in post #16872662 (external link)
I have the D800 with a 14-24 and 70-200 VR2. Will it blen.. I mean, fit the Hadley Pro?!

I also plan on getting a 24-70 further down the road.

Perhaps with the 24-70 lying horisontal at the bottom, tucked to one side, with the 70-200 mounted on camera on top of the 24-70, and the 14-24 on top of that again..

Torn between a Pro and Large Pro... I'm a smallish guy, 174cm (5'7-5'8), and I'm afraid the Large Pro will look too big on my frame.

Also, the Large Pro had the less than ideal opening mechanism compared to the Pro.

Why, oh why...

Not in the Hadley Pro... Will fit in Hadley Large Pro or Hadley Large. 70-200 Mounted is to long.

Camera: Leica M240 - Summilux 35mm 1.4 FLE
PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8
NAS/Server: Synology DS213air // 2x 2TB WD Red NAS drives

sponsored links
mcmxvi
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 30, 2014 16:37 |  #1382

I might just go for the Large Pro, then.

Also, deciding on which color to get can drive you insane... Black with black trim, black with tan trim, or olive with tan trim.

Sometimes I wish there weren't so many choices within the same product!

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 30, 2014 18:10 |  #1383

mcmxvi wrote in post #16873269 (external link)
I might just go for the Large Pro, then.

Also, deciding on which color to get can drive you insane... Black with black trim, black with tan trim, or olive with tan trim.

Sometimes I wish there weren't so many choices within the same product!

Lol Then you will love this site. http://www.pedlars.co.​uk …billingham-x-pedlars.html (external link)

Also I have the black on black Hadley Pro and really like it. I am planning on getting the Hadley Large as well but I will probably choose a difference color as I don't like everything to be the same.

PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8

Here4areason
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2014

May 13, 2014 04:23 as a reply to  @ post 16282762 |  #1384

I have been drooling over the Billingham bags for some time now, and it might now be the time to take the step to get one.

Still I am quite uncertain which to choose and would prefer some thoughts by the members here.

My current walk around bag is ThinkThank Retrospective 7. I like this bag, but it is a little flimsy, and hold a little less than I like. Not a big fan of velcro either. But it is kind of easy to carry for longer walks if not filled with heavy stuff.

My setup is mostly Canon 5dmk3; 50/1.2; 24-105; 70-200/4 and the 600 flash.
Occasionally also the 100 macro, and maybe the 17-40/4. I cannot fit all of my photo gear into the TT, and maybe not the Billingham either. But that is not the main idea either.

The main idea is that the bag should be carried for all day family vacation travels with at least 4 passports, tickets, iPad/MBP, 5dmk3 and three lenses of choice, including extra batteries, and small stuff like keys, cables, a.o. Need a rear zippered compartment for those passports and tickets.

Since the bag will be carried all day on vacation travels I want it to be easy to carry and not protrude to much. Also a personal rain cover or a thin fleece would be nice to fit into the bag when weather tells it could be necessary.

I have looked at the following bags:
Eventer…no go…the flap doesn’t cover as well as e.g. Hadleys/07’s.
Hadley Large … no go..me think…prefer the handle on top

It seems to boil down to Hadley Pro, Hadley Large Pro or the 307L.

My main questions is if the Hadley Pro will fit above equipment and stuff or if the 307L or Hadley Large Pro will be the better choice? Any comments or guidance are welcome!

Sub questions…is the release system of the 307L and similar really slow and awkward compared to the quick release system on e.g. the Hadley Pro? And can one carry the 307L/Hadley Large Pro safely when not fastening the cover? Also will the 307L and HLP be too big for the purpose?

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

May 13, 2014 05:58 |  #1385

I have the hadley large.

It will take 5D3+lens (not the 70-200 attached), 70-200 on one side and two lenses one atop the other on the other side. You can also put in an iPad or 13 rmpb (I think the 15 will cramp it up a bit but you can put it in). You can put the flash at the front pocket and assortment of stuff on the second pocket.

The hadley pro is smaller than the large and fitting everything will be really crampy. Especially if you want to put a laptop / tablet inside.

Your main options is the large pro or the 307. I personally prefer the ones with the quicker release of the top cover of the large or 307. Makes reaching the gear quicker.

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

Here4areason
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2014

May 13, 2014 06:59 as a reply to  @ Eyal's post |  #1386

Thanks for your insights Eyal. This actually then narrows it to the 07-series. 307, 307L or maybe even the smaller 207?

Any thoughts regarding the bulk of these bags for all day walking around. Thinking of 50/1.2 attached to 5dmk3 with 24-105 in the bag, and a 13 MBP, incl. various cables, batteries and stuff?

Edit: Meaning pure size of the bag, not weight. Basically... "Will it look stupid for all day walking around" ?

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 13, 2014 07:14 |  #1387

Eyal wrote in post #16901086 (external link)
I have the hadley large.

It will take 5D3+lens (not the 70-200 attached), 70-200 on one side and two lenses one atop the other on the other side. You can also put in an iPad or 13 rmpb (I think the 15 will cramp it up a bit but you can put it in). You can put the flash at the front pocket and assortment of stuff on the second pocket.

The hadley pro is smaller than the large and fitting everything will be really crampy. Especially if you want to put a laptop / tablet inside.

Your main options is the large pro or the 307. I personally prefer the ones with the quicker release of the top cover of the large or 307. Makes reaching the gear quicker.

off of what this user said. I would go with the Hadley Large Pro... However they are backordered for a bit (I have been waiting for mine for 3 weeks)

Here4areason
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2014

May 13, 2014 07:44 |  #1388

That true! Wow...this is not easy. Not sure which I prefer 307L or HLP or 307. The latter one has the quick release system. HLP is slimmer, and the 307L is "shorter". Any thoughts on these bags are welcome!

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 13, 2014 08:42 |  #1389

Here4areason wrote in post #16901242 (external link)
That true! Wow...this is not easy. Not sure which I prefer 307L or HLP or 307. The latter one has the quick release system. HLP is slimmer, and the 307L is "shorter". Any thoughts on these bags are welcome!

I went with the hadley pro large because it was taller... only about 1" slimmer and it would fit my 70-200 MKII mounted. Also on the hadley pro it is two quick release buttons. On the hadley large it is two quick snaps. Seems just as easy to get in and out of. I currently have the hadley pro and hadley small, love them both but they don't fit the 70-200 mounted. I seem to always have that lens on the body more so then the 24-70.

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

May 13, 2014 10:50 |  #1390

Here4areason wrote in post #16901175 (external link)
Thanks for your insights Eyal. This actually then narrows it to the 07-series. 307, 307L or maybe even the smaller 207?

Any thoughts regarding the bulk of these bags for all day walking around. Thinking of 50/1.2 attached to 5dmk3 with 24-105 in the bag, and a 13 MBP, incl. various cables, batteries and stuff?

Edit: Meaning pure size of the bag, not weight. Basically... "Will it look stupid for all day walking around" ?

The 207 I think will be a bit hard pressed to fit everything comfortably.

Regarding walking around with a large bag and a lot of gear, personally, I just think its too bulky. It will not be comfortable for the long run. Especially if you plan to walk around a lot. Even if you can handle the weight fine, it will be tiring over time.

After being in rome for 5 days going around with a fully packed retrospective 30, I decided to cut things in half. Backpack with laptop and 1-2 lenses with a few things extra (and a tripod), and hadley large with current use lenses. With this I can walk for hours without end and still be comfortable and not feel restricted.

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

Here4areason
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2014

May 13, 2014 12:33 |  #1391

Eyal wrote in post #16901560 (external link)
The 207 I think will be a bit hard pressed to fit everything comfortably.

Regarding walking around with a large bag and a lot of gear, personally, I just think its too bulky. It will not be comfortable for the long run. Especially if you plan to walk around a lot. Even if you can handle the weight fine, it will be tiring over time.

After being in rome for 5 days going around with a fully packed retrospective 30, I decided to cut things in half. Backpack with laptop and 1-2 lenses with a few things extra (and a tripod), and hadley large with current use lenses. With this I can walk for hours without end and still be comfortable and not feel restricted.

Somehow I ended up being the mule for my wife and kids ;-)a So usually I do carry the stuff when we are around. I walked with the Retrospective 7 for several days in Florida, parks and everything. Tried to cut the weight only carrying the 5dmk3, 50/1.2 and some personal items. Worked quite fine, but felt I lacked som space.

For whole days in the park I don't intend to fill the bag, rather want to have some space for personal items camera and 2, tops 3 lenses.

Still I want to have the space in this bag for a small set of personal items, cables, a.o. during weekly job travels, incl parts of the camera kit and a laptop. Currently I lean quite heavily towards the 307L, but it is a close call with some of the other bags. Hadley Large Pro looks quite neat too!

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2014 11:35 |  #1392

The 07 series features the sturdy exterior handle and it's sturdy interior handles and bottom feet. Which suggests that this bag is meant to be on the ground for part of the time, hand-carried another part of the time, and perhaps rarely carried by shoulder strap. I own the 307 and I view it that way.

With 07, you also might need to gain familiarly with Billingham's insert system. You get one or two with the bag, but it might not suit your gear, so you might wind up buying inserts to suit you.

Hadley Large Pro is designed to include a laptop with your camera gear, therefore it includes a handle.

You might want to review the bags dimensions and their empty weight, then compute that along with the weight of your gear.

Here4areason
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2014

May 16, 2014 14:45 |  #1393

Savas K wrote in post #16908755 (external link)
The 07 series features the sturdy exterior handle and it's sturdy interior handles and bottom feet. Which suggests that this bag is meant to be on the ground for part of the time, hand-carried another part of the time, and perhaps rarely carried by shoulder strap. I own the 307 and I view it that way.

With 07, you also might need to gain familiarly with Billingham's insert system. You get one or two with the bag, but it might not suit your gear, so you might wind up buying inserts to suit you.

Hadley Large Pro is designed to include a laptop with your camera gear, therefore it includes a handle.

You might want to review the bags dimensions and their empty weight, then compute that along with the weight of your gear.

I guess there are no one bag for all needs, so I might do as many in this extremely long and great threat already have done, buy several bags. But...

...my current TT Retrospective 7 have about the same interior depth as the new Hadley Large Pro. 127 mm vs 140 mm. Still I find this depth a tad to small. The internal depth of the 307L is 155 mm, which I believe is close to perfect.

Comparing the length of the 307L to HLP and Retro 7 I find the length of the 307L nicer than the very long Hadley Large Pro. Kind of in between the Retro 7 and HLP.

The total depth of the 307L is maybe one of the biggest concerns I have, 230 mm vs 180 mm. Still it is "only" about 5 cm difference.

Question is if the 307L (and 307) actually will form to the body (anyone?). Retro 7 is very soft in this respect, and forms well, I do not have any preferences with Billingham here and would like to hear your thoughts on how well Billingham 307/307L forms to your body. Does it feel "clumsy"? If it forms well I believe that it will be ok to carry despite its dept.

307L is about 650 g heavier than HLP, but just now I believe that the 307L would fit my need better than the HLP, but I am not at all 100% convinced.

Please come back with your thoughts regarding carrying your 307 or 307L. I like to hear how you feel it "blends" with your body, or if it is "clumsy".

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 16, 2014 16:48 |  #1394

Well my hadley pro large has been on order for about 3 weeks when I get it I will comment

Here4areason
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2014

May 17, 2014 01:11 |  #1395

freitz wrote in post #16909455 (external link)
Well my hadley pro large has been on order for about 3 weeks when I get it I will comment

Please do! I believe the Hadley range will blend to the body very well, which is of course why it still is on my list of potential bags. For the HLP I really also would like to know how you feel about the extra space; the length and if you think there are space left for personal items when filled with laptop, a DSLR and 2-3 lenses. And of course... it would be really neat if you could shoot some pictures of someone wearing it!

oh...all these bags! ;-)a

sponsored links

627,429 views & 45 likes for this thread
Please Post Your Billingham Bags!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.