Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 16:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

30D now, or 1d Mark II in a year?

calgaryphotographer
338 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 17, 2006 16:09 |  #1

Hello -

I've got my self into quite the predicament. I have been presented with the oppertunity to buy a 30D in two or three months, or I could afford a 1-Series in a year. I figure I could suffice with my 300D, and the 1d's are just soo damn sexy.

Any oppinions?

CANON EOS 300D | Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | CANON EF-S 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 | Some soft Hood | CANON EF 75-300 F/4.5-5.6 III USM | Canon ET-60 Hood | Canon EF 50 f/1.8 | Canon ES-62 Hood | CANON 430EX | MANFROTTO TRIPOD | Canon RC-1 Remote | A WHACK OF BP-511'S | SANDISK CF CARDS | LOWEPRO MINI-TREKKER AW |

sponsored links
Mike_B
262 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 17, 2006 16:24 |  #2

I'm suggesting the 30D now and enjoy it. My bias? I have a 300D and upgraded to a
30D a few months back and haven't regretted it. I was also considering the 1D series. But really it came down to what am I using the camera for and did I need weather sealing etc. The 1D has more prestige and quality but the end questions has to be the purpose you intend the camera to be used for. I'm sure others will add to these comments. Oh I could also afford to buy a 1D but couldn't justify the purchase from a shooting point of view. I worked my 300D to the max and I'm going to milk everything I can out of the 30D and then maybe another upgrade.

Don't forget also that the quality of your lenses is a signficant factor in producing quality images.

Cheers,

Mike

30D, 300D, BG-E2, Canon MP-E 65 macro, Canon 18-55, Canon 100 -300, Sigma 24 - 70, Sigma 105 macro, Sigma 50 - 500, Speedlite 580EX, Macro Twin lite MT - 24EX. Canon i9950 with CIS. Lots of other stuff

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 17, 2006 16:38 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

you can get a used 1d2 for ~2300, about 1000 more than a new 30d. Just food for thought

or buy a 20d now, used for under a grand, and sell it to finance the 1d2 later. won't take a huge hit on depreciation, and you'll get the benefits over the 300d right away

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

sam0329
540 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 17, 2006 16:46 |  #4

its really depends on what you shoot and need, weather sealing? 8 fps? or super fast and accurate AF? if you need all of the above, than you need a 1D, otherwise, 30D is a veryvery good camera. It can do just anything you need except 12MP I guess....:lol:

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 17, 2006 17:39 |  #5

would you be getting more glass to go with the 1d? cause if not i would suggest getting the 20D/30D and putting the rest toward glass, then getting the 1dmkII or its replacement when you feel ready. as mentioned in the above post. if you dont NEED the 8.5fps, super fast AF, and weather sealing then dont spend a bunch more money just cause you want a 1series body. the 30D is a great camera.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

calicokat
Cream of the Crop
14,720 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 17, 2006 17:41 |  #6

Get the 30D now, keep saving and get a 1DMIIN when the time is right.

"You are going to fall off a cliff trying to get a better shot someday"- My hopeful and loving wife :eek: :twisted:
My Website (external link)

My Gear

Calicokat 1990-2007 RIP My Loving Kitty

grego
Cream of the Crop
8,819 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 17, 2006 17:58 |  #7

If you can, try out a 1D and 30D to get a feel for it. Then decide if you think you should wait.

But it really should depend on what you shoot.

Go UCLA (external link)!! |Gear|http://gregburmann.com (external link)SportsShooter (external link)|Flickr (external link)|

sponsored links

1,358 views & 0 likes for this thread
30D now, or 1d Mark II in a year?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.