Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Aug 2006 (Monday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 17-70 / 18-50 / 24-70 / 28-70

rakesh
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 21, 2006 07:48 |  #1

Hi

I currently own sigma 18-200 but not very satisfied with this hence planning to replace it with one of the following :

Sigma 17-70
Sigma 18-50
sigma 24-70
Sigma 28-70

I went thru different threads but got confused b'cos in some of the threads 17-70 is specifeid better lens and in some place otherones.

Can experts in this forus guide me in this reagrd like which is the best lens out of these 4 lenses.

Expecting some concrete responses with reallife images.

Regards

Rakesh Gupta
India

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :
http://www.justwildlif​e.com (external link)
My Kids Project Galleries : http://www.facebook.co​m …otography/15851​1907574485 (external link)

sponsored links
-kk-
308 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 21, 2006 07:59 |  #2

Hi Rakesh,

I have the 24-70, and basically bought it for the 2.8. If this is not a priority for you, I will advice to stay away from this particular model as the 82mm makes buying filters an expensive exercise.

This topic has been discussed before, there are plenty of sample pics for you to look at.

17-70 is a good lens. is it 'better' than A or B or C? you need to decide for yourself.

other questions:
why are you not happy with 18-200?
I assume you use the wider end of the range more?
what do you shoot?

the other more practical consideration is price and availability where you are. I bought the 24-70 in malaysia, and they had (at that time) the 17-70 and 24-70. Have you checked if your local pusher has all 4 models? Your options may be automatically restricted if they dont carry all 4 models.

hope this helps.

kelvin (external link) | other irrelevant stuff (external link) | the secret lives of bicycles (external link)
350D | Sigma 10-20 f4 - 5.6 | Canon EF 24-105L f4 | Canon EF 135L f2

rakesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 21, 2006 08:12 as a reply to  @ -kk-'s post |  #3

Hi Kevin

I'm from India. I am using 18-200 for Family functions, landscape and portraits but it slower lens and takes time to find a correct focus. Sometimes it keeps on hunting.

I checked with my local Authorised Sigma vendor : he is currently having 24-70, 28-70 and 18-50 and he advised not to go for 17-70 as in his opinion the results are not good and he told that the person who bought 17-70 returned it and took 24-70 or 28/70.

Regards

Rakesh

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :
My Kids Project Galleries : http://www.facebook.co​m …otography/15851​1907574485 (external link)

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 21, 2006 08:21 as a reply to  @ rakesh's post |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

rakesh wrote:
he advised not to go for 17-70 as in his opinion the results are not good and he told that the person who bought 17-70 returned it and took 24-70 or 28/70.

Rakesh, does he have the Sigma 17-70mm in stock? If not, he's probably telling you that because he wants to sell what he has in stock.

The Sigma 17-70mm is an excellent lens. I don't know that I'd lean on it to take the place of anything with a 200mm reach, but it's a damn fine lens...

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photography (external link)

rakesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 21, 2006 09:24 as a reply to  @ Steve Parr's post |  #5

Hi Steve

Have you taken any recent shot with 17-70. Can you share it with me.

If possible and is not troublesome for you, can you send me some shots at 17 mm, 25mm, 40 mm, 50 mm, 60 mm and 70 mm to my email id @ rakesh at mg-india dot com

Regards

Rakesh

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 21, 2006 09:28 as a reply to  @ rakesh's post |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

rakesh wrote:
Hi Steve

If possible and is not troublesome for you, can you send me some shots at 17 mm, 25mm, 40 mm, 50 mm, 60 mm and 70 mm to my email id @ akesh@mg-india.com (external link)

Regards

Rakesh

Right now, I'm on the road in Montreal and don't have any type of photo software on this computer (for resizing). I'd be happy to do that test for you, bubt it won't be until I return to San Diego in September. Maybe someone who has it, and can do it, would be willing to volunteer...

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photography (external link)

Coco-Puffs
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 21, 2006 10:32 |  #7

whats wrong with the 18-50?
I'm taking my chances and I'll probably buy that lens soon (if i convince myself that I dont need the 10-20 first).

--------------------

"Hi super nintendo Chalmers!" -Ralph Wiggum

--------------------

Nick_C
Goldmember
4,042 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 21, 2006 11:35 |  #8

I like my Sigma 17-70, pin sharp, good focal range, great contrast & saturation, its just an all round good lens.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Nick :-)

Dorman
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 21, 2006 11:43 |  #9

Rakesh,

From everything I've read the Sigma 17-70 DC seems like a damn fine lens. Great focal length, quick on the wide-end, well built, sharp, and it doesn't break the bank. When I purchased my 17-40L the Sigma was too new and I was too impatient, if I could do my choice all over again the 17-70 would get some SERIOUS consideration.

For sample images there's a ton in this thread:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=186589

And 2758 sample photos at random here:
http://www.pbase.com …igma/17_70_28_4​5_dc_macro (external link)

Enjoy.

foty89
588 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Location: Born in Scotland, live in Binghamton, NY, wait now Newbury Park, CA, wait, now am in Phoenix, AZ....

Aug 21, 2006 12:01 as a reply to  @ rakesh's post |  #10

rakesh wrote:
Hi Steve

If possible and is not troublesome for you, can you send me some shots at 17 mm, 25mm, 40 mm, 50 mm, 60 mm and 70 mm to my email id @ rakesh@@@@@@

Regards

Rakesh

Hey Rakesh,

This has nothing to do with the thread, but NEVER, and I MEAN NEVER post you e-mail address like that on any forum! If you really want to post it, spell out the at and the dot parts. Otherwise, you are just asking to get a spam flood as bots will scan your address very quickly. I would suggest you go back and edit the post to avoid this.

Canon Rebel XT & BLACK POTN Strap
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Sigma 24-60mm F2.8 EX | Canon 70-200 F4L | Canon 50 1.8 | Lowepro Rover Plus AW & Nova 3 AW

rakesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 21, 2006 12:40 as a reply to  @ foty89's post |  #11

Thanks for pointing out the mistake. I've rectified in my original post to avoid SPAMs.

I look forward to concrete responses to my queries.

Regards

Rakesh

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :

MeNiS
706 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 21, 2006 13:01 |  #12

my best advice is if you have a chance, go to a local store and try all the lens out. i originally bought the 24-70, but had to return it because of focusing problems (you will notice quite a few cases where people have to send their 24-70 back to sigma for services). however, if you get a good copy, the lens is awesome!

i just bought the 17-70 and so far, it's looking sweet! the focal range is good and pictures have been great - at both wide and long end. i'm glad i ended up with the 17-70 instead of the 24-70, especially since i enjoy shooting at the wider end! i also haven't read too many stories of people sending their 17-70 to sigma for services. maybe sigma have better QC on this lens.

the one thing i don't like about the 17-70 is how the focusing ring move outside the lens. sometimes when i hold the lens to take pictures, the ring would move while i'm holding that section. i'll just have to get use to holding the lens closer.

Nick_C
Goldmember
4,042 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 21, 2006 13:42 |  #13

Yes that is annoying, if you are holding it at the time it messes up focus for that one shot, but ive got in a habit of holding it back a little bit further so I dont touch it, im fine with it now.

Its one of those lenses that dare I say matches L image quality (or almost then) & is SO much cheaper, the 18-50EX is a good lens but has problems & I wouldnt want to go from 70mm down to 50mm, you always want more!

Some also say that it lacks saturation compared to an L lens, but my shot of the castle above certainly doesnt lack any saturation, put it this way, would you want the image to be any more saturated? I think it would look false.

Nick_C
Goldmember
4,042 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 21, 2006 13:53 as a reply to  @ Coco-Puffs's post |  #14

Coco-Puffs wrote:
whats wrong with the 18-50?
I'm taking my chances and I'll probably buy that lens soon (if i convince myself that I dont need the 10-20 first).

From what I hear, A LOT!!

If it were me I would avoid that one, you may get lucky but I have heard of lots of problems with that lens, mainly focussing & poor quality control, where as the 17-70 seems to have a better track record so far, maybe Sigma have spent more time on quality control with the 17-70?

Also 50mm isnt that much reach, where as 70 is a lot better, the only thing I think Sigma should have done on the 17-70 is to have stopped the rotating focus ring (not a major problem) & it should have been the 17-70 EX, as its build is very good & I dont see any reason why it doesnt come in the EX range.

Oh & the 17-70 makes a very decent macro lens as well, not true 1:1 but its pretty good.

rakesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 21, 2006 21:57 as a reply to  @ Nick_C's post |  #15

Hi Nick and others

Thanks for the suggestions and advises. Now it is almost decided that I'll go for either 17-70 or 24-70.

Regards

Rakesh

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :

sponsored links

2,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 17-70 / 18-50 / 24-70 / 28-70
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.