Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice with auto photography

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 24, 2006 13:53 |  #1

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to make my auto photo's better. This is my 2nd attempt with my new Rebel XT.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

sponsored links
Terrywoodenpic
869 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 24, 2006 15:54 |  #2

The firt of the two shots was taken with manual exposure and you got it wrong.
The second was taken in auto mode and is not too bad but at iso1600 you can't expect top quality.
Adjusted it a little, but not much improvement.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Terry_______________
Over 60 years in photography
wasted money cameras never on film.

MitsuJDM
567 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 24, 2006 15:59 |  #3

Though composition is the biggest factor in auto photogrpahy a good location plays a big part. You want a simple, yet interesting backdrop, not just a random parking lot.

Try getting a little lower and work with the composition.

350D+grip+lenses
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rkmphotography/ (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rkmphotography/ (external link)

StewartR
"your nose is too big"
4,269 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 25, 2006 07:04 as a reply to  @ MitsuJDM's post |  #4

I think the background in #2 is OK. The lines on the wall are simple yet interesting. I like the composition of #2 generally.

One thing I'd suggest you can do is shoot in decent light. The EXIF data says:
#1 1/40th, f/5.6, ISO 800
#2 1/125th, f/5, ISO 1600

That means the Exposure value (EV) (external link) is around 7.5 for both shots. That's about 7 or 8 stops darker than I'd expect in normal daylight. If you had more light, you could lower your ISO (= less noise in image), increase the shutter speed (= no chance of hand-held blur) and decrease the aperture (= more depth of field), all at the same time.

www.LensesForHire.co.u​k (external link) - complete with matching POTN discussion thread
Photos: Cats (external link) | London by day (external link) | London by night (external link) I My POTN photo sharing threads (external link) | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive (external link)
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4

dann22
93 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 25, 2006 21:15 |  #5

how did ya'll get the specs on the pics?

StewartR
"your nose is too big"
4,269 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 27, 2006 03:39 as a reply to  @ dann22's post |  #6

dann22 wrote:
how did ya'll get the specs on the pics?

I use a browser plug-in called Opanda IExif (external link). You just right-click on a picture, and one of the menu options is to pop up a list of the settings stored in the picture's Exif data. I posted a screen-shot of it in this thread: EXIF.

www.LensesForHire.co.u​k (external link) - complete with matching POTN discussion thread
Photos: Cats (external link) | London by day (external link) | London by night (external link) I My POTN photo sharing threads (external link) | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive (external link)
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4

pixelgrunt
27 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 27, 2006 19:52 |  #7

I agree with MitsuJDM on the background comments. Maybe the edge of a field with the sky above. I like different perspectives as was mentioned as well.

Also, a good circular polarizer does wonders for this type of shot. Removes reflections/glare and increases saturation. Best $40 I have spent on my RebelXT.

"The greatest calamity which could befall us would be submission to a government of unlimited powers."
--Thomas Jefferson, 1825

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Digital Rebel XT with Kit EF-S 18-55
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MKII
Bogen travel tripod
LowePro AW Stealth Reporter 100 bag
Tiffen Filters (Circular Polarizer, UV, and a warmth filter I rarely use)
about 5 GB worth of CF cards
a wishlist a mile long

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

vwyob
184 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 28, 2006 16:47 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Find an enviroment more appealing. Shoot earlier in the day or later at night, your lighting is in need of some work. Get a tripod and shoot closer and lower. Buy some auto mags and try to emulate exactly what they have done. They just look like snaps to me.
Its good you are interested so now EXPLORE THE TECHNIQUES!!! you will have fun and a massive feeling of reward.

2 EOS 1 mkII Dn's, 24-70 2.8L,70-200 2.8L,14 prime 2.8L,100 macro 2.8, metz, metz, and more metz...plus a whole load of other stuff that really is unimportant. It all about the picture, not the tool.
Had the 1ds for a few weeks then realised was overkill. Bought 5d and the 400mm instead.

sponsored links

1,976 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice with auto photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.