Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 28 Aug 2006 (Monday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dead Mobo, Monarch gone.(Can't wait for new System to arrive!)

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,815 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 30, 2006 23:13 as a reply to  @ post 1921691 |  #31

condyk wrote:
DDR2100 sounds very familiar; so is that very old hat for memory these days, not too bothered about 'the ultimate', or is there a decent MB that will take it with an up to date processor? What's the best price/performance processor around too

Other than the new or on the horizon intel's the AMD 64 Athlon's are pretty damn fast. The fastest being the ones with the letters "FX" in them, and obviously, go for dual core. But "FX" is really pricey, not sure it's worth the extra $$, when the mid range processors will still be a huge speed bump.

For not a whole lot, you can get a Mobo, a good Dual core and memory and be light years ahead of our old KG-7s

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Moppie
15,074 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 30, 2006 23:26 |  #32

It almost feels like there is a bit of a peak in the PC hardware market in terms of performance.
Despite the performance increases, the life of parts seems to be increasing.
Despite its age your current generation Skynet is still quite capable of performing very well running a modern OS and version of Photoshop.
While your new PC will be undoubtably faster, and considerably more self aware, I wonder if its as much faster then the old skynet, compared to say a 386DX to a Pentium I?

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

JCR
dubiously affectionate
1,303 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 31, 2006 01:24 |  #33

Nice rig, opties are solid processors. I use dual xeons (prestonia cores) on an asus PC-DL (is a couple of years old now but still smokes the new gen uniprocs). My house server is an AMD 3200, reliable and cost efficient. Kids (4) each have a machine, 2 intel P4 and an AMD 2600.
One thing is for sure, once you had dual desktop you never go back to uniproc. I started out my SMP addiction with dual PII 350's on a gigabyte BXD moved up to dual P3 (1ghz) on an abit VP6.
Best part is your upgrade path is much slower if a little more costly. A decent dual rig will outlast a uniproc by about a factor of 2

There are 10 types of people that understand binary, those that can and those that can't.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,815 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 31, 2006 09:23 as a reply to  @ Moppie's post |  #34

Moppie wrote:
It almost feels like there is a bit of a peak in the PC hardware market in terms of performance.
Despite the performance increases, the life of parts seems to be increasing.
Despite its age your current generation Skynet is still quite capable of performing very well running a modern OS and version of Photoshop.
While your new PC will be undoubtably faster, and considerably more self aware, I wonder if its as much faster then the old skynet, compared to say a 386DX to a Pentium I?

It's very true!

Prior to the current system, both the processor and hardware rate of change, and my own wants, needs, desires to keep up was seemingly 5x times what it is now. I recall the dramatic race for MHz that began with the intro fo the Pentium II 333Mhz,. (and AMD's first contender, the K6 233Mhz ) ..the old "LX" 66MHz chipset, and then the next bump, to the 100Mhz BX chipset, talk about upsetting the applecart. Suddenly, with one revision of frontside bus speed, every motherboard, every stick of RAM that relied on 66MHz was completely useless, and almost overnight $500.00 serverboards were being liquidated of off shelves new for $50.00 due to there total lack of appeal (how Skynet1 was born ;) ) as no one wanted the old 66MHz Bus in a high end performance system.
Within a few years (1.5?) the Pentium 3 and Athlon were knocking at the GHZ barrier.

Nothing really changed after that untill the 64Bit chips were released, and dual core. Clock speeds have remained about the same for the last two years.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,815 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 31, 2006 09:34 as a reply to  @ JCR's post |  #35

JCR wrote:
Nice rig, opties are solid processors. I use dual xeons (prestonia cores) on an asus PC-DL (is a couple of years old now but still smokes the new gen uniprocs). My house server is an AMD 3200, reliable and cost efficient. Kids (4) each have a machine, 2 intel P4 and an AMD 2600.
One thing is for sure, once you had dual desktop you never go back to uniproc. I started out my SMP addiction with dual PII 350's on a gigabyte BXD moved up to dual P3 (1ghz) on an abit VP6.
Best part is your upgrade path is much slower if a little more costly. A decent dual rig will outlast a uniproc by about a factor of 2

Dualies are definitely nice. It's been ages (nt4 on those dual 333s ) since I've run one for my own rig. The ability to kick an app off of one proc, and use it on the other is oen thing I recall being very handy.

One of the things that really appeals to me about the Opteron set ups is the "NUMA" (Non Universal Memory Archetecture)
NUMA gives a bank of DIMMs to each physical CPU, and the associated bandwidth for each bank is thus doubled on the Mobo.

If I force Photoshop to favor the second CPU's Dual cores, and give that pair of Cores exclusively to Photoshop, then not only does it have no competition for the CPU cycles, but it also has exclusive use of the RAM that is dedicated to that CPUs bus,.. (and of course any app that is using both physical CPUS not only gets twice as much RAM, but twice as much bandwidth to run it on!)

This way where the OS and my RAW converter might normally be competing with PSCS for resources, now they will each have there own cpu cycles and RAM, with no interfernce from the other. Sweetness!

In a similar train of thought, the Mobo I am using has 8 SATA ports, 4 controlled by each of the Nforce pro controllers on baord. There fore if my OS drive and storage drives use the SATA ports hooked to the northbridge, and the scratch disk is hooked to the SATA posrt controlled by the Southbridge,.. heh heh Again dedicated, unfettered bandwidth.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 31, 2006 09:39 |  #36

Sweeeet. Wish I could persuade my girlfirend to let me buy something like that. My last "proper" PC had an Athlon x64 chip. Shame that very little actually uses the 64bit instructions though. Last time I looked, even chunks of Win XP64 still used an interface to get 32bit code to work on 64bit chips (so no huge speed increase as we were led to beleive).

Things are probably a whole lot better that they were a couple of years ago though....

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

SimonG
Goldmember
1,007 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 31, 2006 10:08 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #37

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
In a similar train of thought, the Mobo I am using has 8 SATA ports, 4 controlled by each of the Nforce pro controllers on baord. There fore if my OS drive and storage drives use the SATA ports hooked to the northbridge, and the scratch disk is hooked to the SATA posrt controlled by the Southbridge,.. heh heh Again dedicated, unfettered bandwidth.

Of course, this isn't as much of an advantage as the NUMA since with SATA each drive has its own bandwidth already, which is far in excess of what the drives can actually deliver. Having eight ports is definitely a nice touch though... I had to throw a RAID controller in my server to make room for more drives once my four headers were used up. ;)

-- Michael (a.k.a. SimonG)
EOS 5D | 17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.4 | 430EX | Zenfolio (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,815 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 31, 2006 13:38 |  #38

I did not know that Mike, (re the Sata ports)
My mind set is still hampered by ATA and PCI bus.. where anytime one action is taken another is likely to be hindered.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,815 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 13, 2006 22:32 |  #39

Well..........

So far I can not say that I would recomend any one deal with Monarch Computers.

Its been 15 days and the system has not yet shipped. The "order status" has said the saem thing for well over a week, and Monarch is not reponding to my inquireies.

They charged my CC the full monty the day after I placed the order.

Polywell,. this is what I was going to go with, and I really should have.

Hopefully this will end with only a delay and otherwsie a rave review.
Is this why I have not purchased a PC ... ever. (as opposed to building)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 13, 2006 22:34 |  #40

ohh man that stinks, hope it all gets resolved soon.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,815 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 13, 2006 22:36 |  #41

Usually I am very patient about such things.
But this total communication blackout for 9 days is something else.

We shall see I guess.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,815 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 14, 2006 14:30 |  #42

Well I spoke with my Monarch representative today finally.
At least now I know whats going on.

They don't expect it to ship untill the end of the month. This is two weeks longer than what they had estimated, but if they are busy with assemblies, apperently they got a flood of new orders prior to the Holiday due to the enthusiasm for the new intel CPUs. I don't hold it against them. It was simply the lack of communication that had me concerened.

So fingers crossed.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 15, 2006 04:08 as a reply to  @ post 1920712 |  #43

Well I hope you get your new beast soon... let the NSA know where you are in case they need to hire out some CPU time ;)

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
...and maybe the floopy drive...

I am intrigued by your "floopy" drive... where can I get one? :p

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 15, 2006 07:41 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #44

tim wrote:
Well I hope you get your new beast soon... let the NSA know where you are in case they need to hire out some CPU time ;)

I am intrigued by your "floopy" drive... where can I get one? :p

It came with that new keyboard.;)

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 15, 2006 07:46 as a reply to  @ In2Photos's post |  #45

In2Photos wrote:
It came with that new keyboard.;)

Keyboord? ;)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

17,746 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dead Mobo, Monarch gone.(Can't wait for new System to arrive!)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.