Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 13:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to focus

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 31, 2006 13:07 |  #1

How can I focus on the stars at night. I've tried various things, a/f doesnt work. I can't see the stars in the viewfinder either. I tried focusing to infinity but the pictures are still blurry, completly out of focus. Thanks for the help.

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

sponsored links
phylet
501 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 31, 2006 13:35 |  #2

you would have to go outside the city to get a good shot of the stars, because they are so dim, ambient light is much faster to expose, so you dont see them at all.

get out into the country side, use a lens hood (a sheet of black card will do the trick) and remember that the stars are relativly mooving *really* quick, so a shutter speed over a second will start to show movement.

Canon EOS 1D MkII, Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6, Sigma 24-70 F2.8, Sigma 105mm Macro F2.8, Sigma Super 500 Flash

Raphael ­ Emond
430 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 31, 2006 13:48 |  #3

For infinity focus, it's near impossible with the kit lens. Since modern autofocus lens can focus past infinity, it's hard to find the point. Since on the kit lens you don't have a little focus range window, it's near impossible. The only trick you can do, is put it in AF mode, and prefocus on a big light the farter you can. It will bring the lens real close to infinity. Then, switch to MF and hope it will bring sharp pictures. If you can, try to focus on the moon.

Canon Rebel XT, BG-E3, Sigma 12-24 EX DG HSM, 28/2.8, 50/1.8, 24-105L IS USM, Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX DG HSM
420EX, Sigma 1.4X Converter, Moded Off-Shoe Cord 2, 2x1Gb + 1x2Gb, Pelican 1550 Case, Hoya IR72, Mono-Tripod.

xft.y
113 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 31, 2006 16:03 |  #4

what, exactly, is past infinity??? :|

if you can't see them in the viewfinder, you probably have a slow max aperture lens.

are you using stable tripod + mirror lock up + remote shutter release/autotimer?

350D, kit lens, 50mm 1.8, 28-105 3.5-4.6. Yeah. Thats it. You people with long lists just make me feel inadequate. :neutral:

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,858 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 31, 2006 16:12 |  #5

'Past infinity' theoretically allows you to bring the optics closer to the sensor/film than is the actual focal length of the lens. The reason that is provided is that some lenses, after they have been sitting in the hot sun, expand so that they cannot focus AT infinity distance because the mechanics of the barrel has lengthened due to thermal expansion, so the optics are not at the focal length distance, but farther away! -- unless it is possible to bring the optics past the infinity position and closer to the sensor/film.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Raphael ­ Emond
430 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 01, 2006 04:39 |  #6

and also that the AF system knows when they have pass the infinity point.

Canon Rebel XT, BG-E3, Sigma 12-24 EX DG HSM, 28/2.8, 50/1.8, 24-105L IS USM, Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX DG HSM
420EX, Sigma 1.4X Converter, Moded Off-Shoe Cord 2, 2x1Gb + 1x2Gb, Pelican 1550 Case, Hoya IR72, Mono-Tripod.

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 01, 2006 05:19 |  #7

For the kit lens, do as above (focus on furthest light source). You can also do it during the daytime, focus very very far away, and then if you're not afraid to 'damage' your kit lens, draw a line on the rotating front part of the barrel and on the lens body with a white marker or something like that. Then you can manually focus to infinity in the dark, or at least, reasonably close. No worse than having the distance scale, at the very least.

bluej511
765 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2006 05:51 |  #8

Ive done night shots and like Raphael said before focus on the moon then move the camera to where there are the most stars and shoot a shutter speed of no less then 30sec.

My Gear
Minolta Maxxum STsi w/ 28-80mm kit lens & Tamron 80-210 f/4.5-5.6.
"The beautiful thing about photography is what kind of work people do full time, could be anything from a garbage man to a scientist."-Vicken B
"No matter what happens in the world, a photographer will always be there."-Vicken B

bluej511
765 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2006 05:53 |  #9

Heres 2..the 1st one is slightly blurry (tried to focus) and the 2nd one moved i guess but its cool lol

http://i11.photobucket​.com …197/bluej511/IM​G_2699.jpg (external link)

http://i11.photobucket​.com …197/bluej511/IM​G_2698.jpg (external link)

My Gear
Minolta Maxxum STsi w/ 28-80mm kit lens & Tamron 80-210 f/4.5-5.6.
"The beautiful thing about photography is what kind of work people do full time, could be anything from a garbage man to a scientist."-Vicken B
"No matter what happens in the world, a photographer will always be there."-Vicken B

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 01, 2006 08:18 |  #10

I had to focus the kit lens at night and found the best way was to fit the 420EX on and allow the IR beam to be used. It focussed on infinity quite well.

To be honest, I can't fathom why they went so cheap on AF lenses. MF lenses always stopped at infinity at all lengths.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk (external link)
www.sageworld.org (external link)
www.sagephotoworld.com (external link)
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavens (external link)

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

sponsored links

768 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to focus
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.