Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 08 Sep 2006 (Friday) 20:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Car show etiquette question

Mattyj
73 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 08, 2006 20:12 |  #1

Hi all,

First off, I apologize if this has been posted/asked before. I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.

I am going to a local classic car show tomorrow and really want to get some good photos. I have never really taken pictures in public before and am a little uncomfortable about the whole process. Do I just walk up and start shooting the cars? Or do I try to locate the owner and ask if I may take some photos of their vehicle? The cars aren't roped off or anything - everyone will just be milling around.

Being that it's a car show, I assume that picture taking is a free-for-all type of thing. If I had my old little camera I wouldn't think too much of it, but I wonder if I will get strange looks if I haul my big camera out of a huge bag and start snapping away. I also don't want to make anyone there uncomfortable either (though I'm sticking strictly to cars- no photos of people).

Thanks for your time! :)

Canon 20D
EFS 18-55mm
75-300mm
430EX

sponsored links
Ballen ­ Photo
20,358 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Sep 08, 2006 20:30 |  #2

Hi Matty, Depends on how "Chatty" you feel. I like to at least aknowledge the owner, saying Hi, and mention that I like His/Her car. Thats a no brainer, as I probably wouldn't be shooting it in the first place if it wasn't.
Actually, If you're really interested in the car, it helps to talk to the owners. They well often ask if You would like a shot with the hood down.
Remember, These folks are proud of their cars, and are there to show them off. They also love talking about them, so dont be shy. ;)
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 08, 2006 21:16 |  #3

Talking about their cars is what those guys live for. You'll make their day if you just walk over and tell them you like their car and maybe ask a question or two.

If you upload a picture here you hope people will comment on it. These guys are the same way about their work. If no one showed any appreciation they might go home disappointed.

And I think it would be a kind gesture if you offer to email them copies of the pictures you get.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

lvph2
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 08, 2006 23:00 |  #4

I had one person ask me what I did with the pictures. I told him that I keep them for myself since photography is a hobby for me. And that I share them online. He thought it was cool. We even got into a discussion about photography since he does it too. So far no one has told me they didn't want pics taken. But, I have seen the crazy looks. lol.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

Mattyj
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 09, 2006 03:31 as a reply to  @ lvph2's post |  #5

Thank you all for the advice! You make it sound so simple! :) I had thought about offering to email people the pictures - so I'll definitely do that. Again, I really appreciate your input! Hopefully I'll get some good shots to post in here! :D

Canon 20D
EFS 18-55mm
75-300mm
430EX

PhotosGuy
75,898 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 09, 2006 08:02 |  #6

Talking about their cars is what those guys live for.

Truth!
If you don't see the owner, ask one of the guys at the next car. They all know each other.
Never touch the car. Most will open the door or hood if you just ask. Some will even pull the car out a bit.

but I wonder if I will get strange looks if I haul my big camera out of a huge bag and start snapping away.

A black cam with a 28-70 f/2.8 & a petal hood gets you instant respect. People will move out of your way. ;)

And I think it would be a kind gesture if you offer to email them copies of the pictures you get.

I print up slips of paper for them with the link to Transportation. If they aren't online, I tell them to give it to one of their grandkids. Some of them have told me that they made great 8X10" prints from the 80kb web image!?

IMAGE: http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/smilies/rotfl.gif

Have fun, & good luck.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

poah
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 09, 2006 10:20 |  #7

they expect it to be photographed. they are not going to put their cars on show and complain that its being snapped at. you take pictures and chat if you want. bigger the camera the more space people tend to give you lol

Free printer profiles PM me for info

darkvibe
295 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 09, 2006 17:13 |  #8

I just start shooting. I figure if they didn't want it photographed, they shouldnt take it to a show.

http://www.darkvibe.or​g/gallery/ (external link)
Canon 30D w/ grip, 18-55mm kit lens, Canon 24-105mm f4L IS, Tamron AF 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR DI, Canon 50mm f1.8 II, Sigma APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG HSM, Sigma EF 500 DG Super, Slik Pro 400DX tripod, Slik Pro Pod 381 CF monopod.

Jamie ­ Holladay
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2006 21:13 |  #9

Most people actually like thier vehicles to be photographed. They will even put the hood up/down if you ask them too. (this usually requies a little chat). And the comments about the bigger the equipment the more the space people give you is about right. But a lot of time spectators are just rude. Something you just have to work around. If you find a vehicle of particular interest, chat with the owner he/she might move it to a near by location where you would be able to shoot it better. This has happened for me once.

The Site  (external link)The Gallery  (external link)The Gear (external link)

"If you really want something done, ask a busy person." Toms wife

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

You know I can't spell just sound it out. ~ me

bullitt5561
33 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 10, 2006 00:30 |  #10

guys at these shows love to have their cars shot. I love when people look at my car at shows. I take alot of pictures of everyones and never ask. They love it trust me.

Canon S3 IS

maxyedor
165 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 10, 2006 01:32 |  #11

Just shoot, if you are the talkative type, start a conversation. But as another point of ettiquite, shoot with a wide angle lens and be patient. I shoot plenty of car shows, and nothing gets more anoying than a self ritous photog. with a 50mm chasing everybody out of the way so they can get their shot.

Oh and don't touch the cars, you probably allready knew that, but just a reminder. I was at Pebble Beach and a photographer took it upon himself to close the hood of a $3mil. Delahey, the owner was righfully pissed and the security guys asked him in a not too polite way to leave and never come back, they also banned the mag. he was working for from ever coming back.

Digital photography is a fad.

Mike ­ Reynolds
Goldmember
1,412 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 10, 2006 08:29 |  #12

Bruce nailed it. But for me , going to a car show is too much like going to work I rarely go to one unless I there to cover it and I got to talk to the owner and get the appropiate info or perhaps line up a photo shoot.

a special thanks to the Big Guy upstairs

http://mikereynoldsmot​orsports.com/ (external link)

my gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2211782&pos​tcount=289

JTS
45 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 10, 2006 11:31 as a reply to  @ Mike Reynolds's post |  #13

Classic Cars is the other passion in my life, and we all like having our "pride and joy" photographed. Always have business cards with you as this is a great way to find new customers. I've gained over a dozen new individual customers and become the official photographer of three car clubs in just this way.

Jack

[SIZE=1]Jack Syer
Canon 20D
Canon 1Ds MK II
Lots of glass, some "L"
Epson Pro 3800 printer

MegaHurtz
309 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 11, 2006 10:57 |  #14

Don't sweat it... anybody who has worked hard enough on their car in order to enter it in shows would be thrilled to have a good photographer take some pictures of it. Having your car sitting and showing itself off almost implies that it is okay to take pictures of it, and it is to be expected. Coming from the other side, I couldn't ever imagine asking people not to take pictures of my car at a show, it's what many people go to the shows for in the first place.

Canon

20D | BG-E2 | 17-40 F4L | 70-200 F2.8L | 50 F1.8 | 580EX | 21 gigs of CF

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 11, 2006 11:01 |  #15

I've been to loads of car shows, and everyone assumes that pictures will be taken.

General rule is, look, take as many pics as you like, but never, ever touch or allow anything (clothing/straps etc) to touch the cars.

And carrying around erected tripods close to cars also gets the owners very jumpy as well...!

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

sponsored links

3,211 views & 0 likes for this thread
Car show etiquette question
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.