Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Sep 2006 (Saturday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50-150/2.8 first impressions (56k beware!)

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 09, 2006 08:13 |  #1

Well, the new Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 APO DC HSM EX (phew!) arrived yesterday so here are my first impressions. I've included a few test shot 100% crops but, before anyone asks, I don't have time right now to do any more - sorry :( The tests are completely unscientific, but enough to satisfy me that the lens is OK and of very good quality.

Initial impressions are good - the lens feels extremely solid and well put together. No, the barrel is not metal, but that's not a problem in my eyes. It feels a little more solid than the Sigma 18-50/2.8 EX, if that helps. It's smaller than a Canon 70-200/4 L but weighs the same. The (internal) zoom and focus actions feel good - rather heavier than on the Canon but not to a bad degree.

Focussing seems quick, and all in all the lens just 'feels' good on my 350D. So it's a thumbs up for now :)

The lens comes with the usual good quality Sigma case and hood. Here are some comparison pics against the Canon 70-200 f/4 L, and a pic of the lens on my 350D:

http://www.gcogger.dsl​.pipex.com/stuff/lens1​.jpg (external link)

http://www.gcogger.dsl​.pipex.com/stuff/lens2​.jpg (external link)
http://www.gcogger.dsl​.pipex.com/stuff/camer​a.jpg (external link)

Now on to some test crops. As I said, I don't have time at the moment to go out and take proper 'real world' shots, so these are just 100% crops from test images taken from my back garden! I've compared the pics in each case to the Canon 70-200 f/4 L, at f/2.8 and f/4 on the Sigma and f/4 on the Canon. I've not posted f/5.6 shots since the ones I took were more variable (the lenses are so sharp that camera shake at 1/1000 was the dominating factor). It's not a scientific test - these were all handheld (although at 1/2000 or better) and I didn't get the focal lengths identical for each comparison. They are crops from max quality JPEGS with sharpness/contrast/sat​uration at 0.

Sigma at f/2.8, 150mm, centre crop:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Sigma at f/4, 150mm, centre crop:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon at f/4, 140mm, centre crop:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Sigma at f/2.8, 150mm, corner crop:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Sigma at f/4, 150mm, corner crop:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon at f/4, 140mm, corner crop:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Sigma at f/2.8, 67mm, centre crop:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Sigma at f/4, 67mm, centre crop:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon at f/4, 70mm, centre crop:

IMAGE: http://www.gcogger.dsl​.pipex.com/stuff/can_4​_70_centre.jpg

I'm not sure the corner crops help much, as it's so dependent on exactly where the camera focussed.

My personal conclusions are:
It's a damn good lens and, assuming I find no problems, I'm keeping it :) The focal range suits me better than the canon, and the f/2.8 is handy for portraits. Does anyone want to buy a Canon 70-200 f/4 L in the UK? :) :D

If we're pixel peeping, I'd say the Sigma at f/2.8 is softer than the Canon at f/4 (as you'd expect). With both at f/4 I'd say the Sigma was a touch sharper in the centre and about the same in the corners at 150mm. At 70mm it's the same story but I think the Canon is better in the corners with both at f/4 - my test shots were not good enough to prove this, which is why I haven't posted them. At f/5.6 I think the lenses are pretty much the same but, again, I don't have reliable enough shots to prove this.

If I find any problems with it, I'll report back on this thread.

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

sponsored links
gsewell
414 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 09, 2006 08:17 |  #2

how much for your canon?

Canon 30D/Sigma 17-70/Canon 50mm 1.4 USM/Elinchrom D-Lite 2 kit

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 09, 2006 08:56 |  #3

I'd have to agree with your findings, very impressive lens! Wonder what a 1.4tc would do to it.

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 09, 2006 09:07 |  #4

Thanks for the excellent comparison and set of photos! The 50-150 looks like a very impressive little lens indeed. Your antenna shots show more detail with the Sigma at f/4, and better contrast with the brick wall.

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 09, 2006 09:10 |  #5

I'd love to see it in action, potrait's, landscapes and what not! Does it have FTM?

Mike
Gear List

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 09, 2006 10:55 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #6

Mr. Clean wrote:
Does it have FTM?

Yes it does, being an HSM unit. It also has internal focusing, which is nice. I'm surprised that it is so much smaller than the f4L. Nice post here and enjoy the lens.

gcogger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 09, 2006 11:45 as a reply to  @ gsewell's post |  #7

gsewell wrote:
how much for your canon?

Well, I must get around to putting this on the "for sale" forum :)

I'd be looking for £360, plus P&P (£5.70 or £7.40, depending on total weight) plus paypal fees if applicable (about £12). The lens itself is in mint condition but, as usual, the hood has some slight scuff marks (greatly exaggerated in the pic above!). It has the caps, hood and soft case. (Feedback on ebay under the same name). If you're interesetd, let's discuss via PM as this is supposed to be a thread about the Sigma :oops:

Graeme

gcogger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 09, 2006 11:52 as a reply to  @ Lightstream's post |  #8

Lightstream wrote:
Thanks for the excellent comparison and set of photos! The 50-150 looks like a very impressive little lens indeed. Your antenna shots show more detail with the Sigma at f/4, and better contrast with the brick wall.

I agree, on the basis of the above pics, but I wouldn't read too much into the contrast difference. While the exposure was kept the same, the lighting was changing very slightly between shots. My gut feeling at this stage is that it's too close to call on saturation and contrast. That, of course, makes the Sigma a very good lens indeed :)

You can, however, see the usual colour difference on the corner crops. The Canon has a little more blue and the Sigma a little more yellow. Both were done on auto white balance.

Graeme

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 09, 2006 12:12 |  #9

Looks good and I'd agree with your conclusions.

Once again we can see L's are 'only human' when faced with some decent competition. Any differences between the two is insignificant either way.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

gcogger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 09, 2006 12:53 |  #10

I couldn't agree more. Both lenses are good enough that the differences are irrelevant in practice. Any preference should be based on other criteria.

The Sigma suits me because of size, focal range and f/2.8. Others may prefer the Canon for metal construction, focal range, full frame compatability, focus speed (probably), the fact that it's white/an L and its proven track record.

Graeme

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,933 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 09, 2006 13:24 |  #11

It's an interesting focal range as well, I kind of wish that Sigma had tried to stretch the focal range at the wide end just a tad more, say 35mm, rather than simply reproduce the 70-200mm in 1.6x land,.. but that might have resulted in a very different package. Thanks for the great review. It's been added to the review links in the FAQ/Sticky.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 09, 2006 13:56 as a reply to  @ LightRules's post |  #12

fStopJojo wrote:
Yes it does, being an HSM unit. It also has internal focusing, which is nice. I'm surprised that it is so much smaller than the f4L. Nice post here and enjoy the lens.

Nice. Pair this with the Tokina 16-50 and youve got a great little travel kit.

Mike
Gear List

tuan209
236 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 09, 2006 14:01 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #13

Nice....This is going to my next purchase!:)

Bodog
Goldmember
1,306 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 09, 2006 14:31 as a reply to  @ tuan209's post |  #14

Anyone seen a U.S. price yet?

JimE
Color? It's all relative...

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 09, 2006 17:24 |  #15

629 at sigma4less, slightly more ?679 at B&H (site down)

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

sponsored links

87,478 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 50-150/2.8 first impressions (56k beware!)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.