Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Sep 2006 (Tuesday) 18:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop Elements 5.0

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 12, 2006 18:02 |  #1

Adobe announced the release of PSE 5.0. They highlight features that may not be of use to people serious about photography, BUT upon digging further I found that it has "Color Curves" unsure about what other important features it has.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 12, 2006 19:51 |  #2

I recently updated to 4 from 2 and find its a marked improvement in my post processing. Version 5.0 looks like they are going more for the auto/fix type stuff and photo sharing. Anymore updates and I'll go with CS2 or whatever comes out to replace it but so far PSE 4 has done well for me.

Mike ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 12, 2006 20:30 as a reply to  @ Tsmith's post |  #3

Bluedog_XT wrote:
I recently updated to 4 from 2 and find its a marked improvement in my post processing. Version 5.0 looks like they are going more for the auto/fix type stuff and photo sharing. Anymore updates and I'll go with CS2 or whatever comes out to replace it but so far PSE 4 has done well for me.

Yes, PSE4 is good, You made a major upgrade. I went from PSE 3 to 4 and is more of a minor upgrade.

Mike R

Tsmith
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 12, 2006 21:10 |  #4

Mike if you don't have and need curves for PSE 4 let me know.

Mike ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 12, 2006 21:18 as a reply to  @ Tsmith's post |  #5

Bluedog_XT wrote:
Mike if you don't have and need curves for PSE 4 let me know.

Bluedog, Thanks for the offer, But I now shoot about 100% RAW and I use RSP which has it. I'm waiting for my free version of lightroom as promised by Adobe when they release 1.0, I just hope it is worth the wait. :confused:

Mike R

Tsmith
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 12, 2006 22:06 as a reply to  @ Mike R's post |  #6

Mike R wrote:
Bluedog, Thanks for the offer, But I now shoot about 100% RAW and I use RSP which has it. I'm waiting for my free version of lightroom as promised by Adobe when they release 1.0, I just hope it is worth the wait. :confused:

Same here _ I only use PSE 4 for final sharpening of images, cloning, applying frames and such. I do like the fact its supports working with 16 bit tiff also.

rdricks
574 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 13, 2006 10:48 as a reply to  @ Tsmith's post |  #7

I should have known they were going to release a new version - I just ordered version 4 two days ago - shipped today. Oh well. I looked over the changes and did not see anything mentioned that I would use - it appears most the changes are to give you additional ways of viewing images rather than more editing options.

-Ryan

-Ryan
Gear List
flickr (external link)

Timcannon
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 13, 2006 11:12 |  #8

Yea Rdricks! In the same boat here! At least you may be able to send it back if you dont open it. I? On the other hand finally broke down and bought ver 4.0 last Fri evening, AND opened it AND installed it! I'm sure CompUSA & Adobe are WAY more then happy to take it back for a refund right? LOL!!! Then to only find out a new relase in oct/06 is comming out. I mean hey we've all been down this road..but an digital SLR, new (better) one comes out (& to add insult to injury its sometimes is even cheaper), have an x-box they significalnly upgrade it, computers, software, etc. I know it wont ever end, and its also a sales $$$ profit issue for software companies. But I cant re-call buying something and three business days later, a new release comes out! Again I just would have easily waited until Oct/06 if I was aware of it.

However, I would like to see if the B &W conversion tool is a better option that the ver 4.0. doesnt have. Again relae you can remove the color, and make a ton of adjustements, but I'm curious how this specific tool will work, and if it will make it easier to get B & W correct. I have never gotten what I consider a correct B &W digital print. TIm

Cannon 20D
Kit Lens ES 18-55mm
Manfrotto 3021BPPRO
Manfrotto Ballhead 488RC2

Jakpro
320 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 13, 2006 11:47 as a reply to  @ Timcannon's post |  #9

You can upgrade on Adobe to 5.0 for $69 download.

PC Magazine has an article on it:

http://www.pcmag.com …le2/0,1895,2014​574,00.asp (external link)

Timcannon
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 13, 2006 13:05 |  #10

You know I saw that as well. I think its just the aspect I paid $99.00 + tax retail, last Friday, and now I will have to pay $69.00, to upgrade...so I will have spent close to $170.00 for photoshop elements 5.0 (which is a $99.00 program last I looked, without the video editing software).

Of course? Then there's the get over it no one's probelm but my own! LOL!!!

Cannon 20D
Kit Lens ES 18-55mm
Manfrotto 3021BPPRO

Jakpro
320 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 13, 2006 15:53 as a reply to  @ Timcannon's post |  #11

You could sell the 4.0 if you have 2.0 or 3.0-then you can still upgrade. That would recover some of the expense.

You could try returning the 4.0 depending on where you bought it.

Otherwise, join the club of technology! I cannot even imagine the number of times that I bought something and just a week after the later version came out!

Nortelbert
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 13, 2006 16:48 as a reply to  @ Timcannon's post |  #12

Timcannon wrote:
You know I saw that as well. I think its just the aspect I paid $99.00 + tax retail, last Friday, and now I will have to pay $69.00, to upgrade...so I will have spent close to $170.00 for photoshop elements 5.0 (which is a $99.00 program last I looked, without the video editing software).

Of course? Then there's the get over it no one's probelm but my own! LOL!!!

Sometimes there is a grace period; a lot of MS software used to have a statement that if you bought an item in the last 60-90 days, you could get the latest version free.

Jaime
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 13, 2006 17:15 |  #13

And for anyone interested I have 6 copies brand new of 3.0 witheir respective licenses that I am willing to sell for $25 each, with the upgrade of $69 you wind up with 5.0 for $94.

"My eyes see but a minute reflection of what my soul
longs to capture through the sensual art of photography."
Jaime E. Pagán
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=6253713#p​ost6253713

goatee
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 14, 2006 02:47 |  #14

Probably want to post them in the sell section KonTiki - that's a great deal, because PSE3 is a great package in itself - as someone else posted above, PSE4 is not a massive upgrade, and PSE3 will do enough for many people other than the pain to do curves or layer masks.

D7100, 50mm f/1.8, 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR, SB800
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=552906flickr (external link)

Timcannon
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 14, 2006 10:33 |  #15

Yea Goatee....interesting in that I went from Elements 2.0 to 4.0, and although its nice, I wasnt blown away by it. A few new nice features in 4.0 I like, elimated the fill flash for more finer adjustments for lighting (shadows, mid tones, etc) which I really like. What I hadn't formally used before was the Photo Organizer program, which has taken me awhile to get the swing of.

I looked at Dpreview web site & was able to search and found 4.0 was released last sept/05, SOOOO I should have put two and two together, and released 5.0 was going to come out anytime soon. Again it was somewhat my mistake (i'm generally fanatical about reviewing stuff beofre I buy) for not checking into things. And like all of us, I realize this wont be the first or last time (i.e. the new 400D canon). Its that love hate relationship you have to live with in the technology world!

Cannon 20D
Kit Lens ES 18-55mm
Manfrotto 3021BPPRO

sponsored links

2,916 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop Elements 5.0
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.