Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 22 Sep 2006 (Friday) 15:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

..:: TUTORIAL : Product shot : Lighting : Perfume bottle::..

henry_b
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 22, 2006 15:01 |  #1

Hi everyone, here is a tutorial i made on how to light a bottle of perfume.

it covers only the basic but if you have any doubt feel free to ask

this is my first tutorial so dont be to harsh =)

NOTE: i know this shot is not perfect, maybe the bottle is not very clean or minor errors, but i made this shot only to ilustrate this tutorial

well, here we go!

1. put a black cloth for the background
2. on top of the cloth you have to put a glass, i lift it just a little to separete it from the cloth and get the reflections (youll see what i mean) all the way to the bottom.
3, put a strobe with a soft box on the left at 45 degrees.
4 with a black cardboard block the light fom the soft box to the background (this is to be sure we get a pure black background)
5 meter your light and shoot

this is what i get so far

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i112.photobucke​t.com …5/henry_b/faren​heit_1.jpg (external link)

ok, now we can se our bottle lighted, but still not good enough, so next step is to put aour fill light on the right

6. put a piece of white cardboard to the right of the bottle, this will have 2 purposes fill light and to add another white reflection on the right like the one created with the softbox. put it as close as you can without seeing it on the frame.

this is what we get

http://i112.photobucke​t.com …5/henry_b/faren​heit_2.jpg (external link)

nice right? but still not good enough because our bottle is not black , so what we have to do is

7.cut a piece of white cardboard with the shape of the bottle and put it just behind the bottle, the cardboard has to be smaller than the bottle so our camera dont see it.

this is what our final shot will look like

http://i112.photobucke​t.com …175/henry_b/far​enheit.jpg (external link)

now we have our bottle with a nice lighting, Actually i like the way the bottle blends with the background, but if you dont like it you can move both your softbox and your fill cardboard more to 80-90 degrees, that way you will have your reflection all the way to the sides.

this is a shot of how my set up looks like ( i dont have very expensive equipment so dont laugh at my set up =) )

http://i112.photobucke​t.com …henry_b/farenhe​it_tut.jpg (external link)

this set up can be uses with a lot of similar things like beer, soda , etc

Well, now you know how to shoot a bottle of perfume, so take your camera and make yor own shot, oh and come back here and show us your results =)

Thats it, hope you like this tutorial
fell free to ask any questions about this tutorial

thanks for watching, ill try to make some more tuts as soon as i have the time

cheers

Flickr (external link)https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=218885

sponsored links
WilliamL
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 22, 2006 17:07 |  #2

thanks... i enjoyed this

7D * 40D/w 24-70 L * 20D*17-85 mm*Canon 100-400L IS *Canon 70-300mm*580EX
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

http://william1956.smu​gmug.com/ (external link)

henry_b
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 22, 2006 20:13 |  #3

thanks WilliamL Glad you like it =)

Flickr (external link)https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=218885

Thomas_K
134 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 23, 2006 09:47 |  #4

Very cool. I'll give this a try later today.
Thanks, henry_b

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=1924928&pos​tcount=219

edcs2
82 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 23, 2006 13:00 |  #5

Great ideas Henry, thanks.

Ed

Canon EOS 30D, Rebel XT, 18-55mm kit lens, 10-22mm Wide angle, EF "nifty" Fifty, EF 70-300mm USMII, 50-500mm Sigma, 70mm Macro Sigma, extension tubes

WilliamL
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 23, 2006 13:47 |  #6

Henry.. I've been trying this and it has been turning out pretty good.. by no means as good as yours... but on my bottle i get the image of the softbox... what am i doing wrong?? also i tried putting a piece of white paper behind the bottle and it didn't work like yours...

7D * 40D/w 24-70 L * 20D*17-85 mm*Canon 100-400L IS *Canon 70-300mm*580EX
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

http://william1956.smu​gmug.com/ (external link)

pacific
290 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 23, 2006 14:36 |  #7

thanks for taking the time to put this together. It's raining outside and I was trying to figure out what to do so now I will try this.

Canon EOS 20D
Canon EF 50 f/1.4 USM
Canon EFS 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 70-200
Canon 100mm macro
Canon Remote Switch and 420EX and 580EX
Sekonic L-558, Interfit 600ws lights

TeeJay
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 23, 2006 15:01 |  #8

At step #7 you mention cutting a piece of white card to the shape of the bottle, but I cannot see this in you pic of the setup. Is it there but I just can't see it?

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

Servo'd
337 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 23, 2006 15:06 |  #9

i dont understand...

eau de toilette is french for 'toilet water'

[Canon EOS 5D] [Canon EOS 350D] | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 | Front lens cap | Rear lens cap | Manfrotto Camera bag| B+W 67mm filter | Box for filter | B+W warranty| Shutter cap | Box for 50mm | Box for 350D | Canon EOS neckstrap | 350D Manual | 350D Warranty | CD w/ Drivers | Bubble wrap | CF card case | Battery charger | USB transfer wire | Power cable

stupot
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 23, 2006 15:08 |  #10

TeeJay wrote in post #2026794 (external link)
At step #7 you mention cutting a piece of white card to the shape of the bottle, but I cannot see this in you pic of the setup. Is it there but I just can't see it?

he explains:)

henry_b wrote:
7.cut a piece of white cardboard with the shape of the bottle and put it just behind the bottle, the cardboard has to be smaller than the bottle so our camera dont see it.

ta da!

Nice tutorial henry.

Canon EOS 350D, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f4L, 300 f4L IS, Kenko 1.4x pro300, 430EX, Apple Powerbook G4
Free filters for your flashgun!

Athena
Must stop thinking
9,581 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 23, 2006 23:55 |  #11

Actually, I think it may be the piece of white card with a toothpick laying on the upper right side of the set-up image. Perhaps the toothpick is used as a support to hold the cut-out against the back of the bottle.

This bottle is fabulous BTW. Have you played with underlighting it too? :)

www.athenacarey.com

Servo'd
337 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 24, 2006 00:11 |  #12

anybody, any idea why it is called toilet water?

[Canon EOS 5D] [Canon EOS 350D] | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 | Front lens cap | Rear lens cap | Manfrotto Camera bag| B+W 67mm filter | Box for filter | B+W warranty| Shutter cap | Box for 50mm | Box for 350D | Canon EOS neckstrap | 350D Manual | 350D Warranty | CD w/ Drivers | Bubble wrap | CF card case | Battery charger | USB transfer wire | Power cable

peterdoomen
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Lier, Flanders (northern, flemish speaking part of Belgium)

Sep 24, 2006 01:15 |  #13

Mmm, I figure it must work well with my self-made tabletop studio. Thanks for sharing that!

P.
PS. See footer for tabletop studio.

Canon EOS 20D | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS + Hoya UV Filter | Canon Extender 1.4x | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 85 f/1.2L mk II | Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-f/4| Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tokina 100 f/2.8 macro | Kenko extension tubes | Canon Speedlite 420 EX & Sto-fen Omnibounce| 80GB Flashtrax | Manfrotto Tripod 190 pro B & Joystick 322RC2 | Lowepro Micro Trekker 200
PDFs: Make money with ShutterStock (external link) - Make your own Tabletop Studio (external link)- Glass Buying Guide (external link)
My ShutterStock Gallery (external link)

peterdoomen
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Lier, Flanders (northern, flemish speaking part of Belgium)

Sep 24, 2006 01:17 |  #14

Servod wrote in post #2028648 (external link)
=Servo'd;2028648]anybo​dy, any idea why it is called toilet water?

Because toilet has two meanings:

http://thesaurus.refer​ence.com/browse/toilet (external link)

P.

Canon EOS 20D | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS + Hoya UV Filter | Canon Extender 1.4x | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 85 f/1.2L mk II | Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-f/4| Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tokina 100 f/2.8 macro | Kenko extension tubes | Canon Speedlite 420 EX & Sto-fen Omnibounce| 80GB Flashtrax | Manfrotto Tripod 190 pro B & Joystick 322RC2 | Lowepro Micro Trekker 200
PDFs: Make money with ShutterStock (external link) - Make your own Tabletop Studio (external link)- Glass Buying Guide (external link)
My ShutterStock Gallery (external link)

henry_b
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 24, 2006 08:53 as a reply to  @ peterdoomen's post |  #15

thanks everyone for your comments,

williamL wrote:
Henry.. I've been trying this and it has been turning out pretty good.. by no means as good as yours... but on my bottle i get the image of the softbox... what am i doing wrong?? also i tried putting a piece of white paper behind the bottle and it didn't work like yours...

Can you post a pic to see how the soft box looks, because thats the idea, to show the reflection of the softbox to get the white reflection on the side

TeeJay wrote:

yes sorry, is not on the setup shot, i just notice it right now, is on the side of the shot, i took this shot of the setup before i put it for the last shot, but is just the piece of cardboard on the back, maybe a little rotated to the side of the softbox

peterdoomen wrote:
Mmm, I figure it must work well with my self-made tabletop studio. Thanks for sharing that!

P.
PS. See footer for tabletop studio.

yes, i think it will work great, just put a glass on the bottom and a black background, great idea BTW, i think ill build my own too =)

sponsored links

61,965 views & 0 likes for this thread
..:: TUTORIAL : Product shot : Lighting : Perfume bottle::..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.