Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Oct 2006 (Monday) 13:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Is my old flash unit safe for my new camera? Here's how to find out.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 16, 2006 13:25 |  #1

This page on flash trigger voltage (external link) is very educational for those considering using an older flash unit. It explains the importance of knowing your flash unit's trigger voltage, has a long list of user-contributed voltage measurements of various flash units, and also explains how to measure the voltage yourself.

One caveat: The web page linked to above has not been updated since 2004, and many cameras introduced since then have higher tolerances for trigger voltage. Not all EOS cameras today have 6 volt limits. Check your camera's instruction manual for more information. Here's a section on trigger voltage  (external link)limits with EOS cameras from photonotes.org.

Before attaching an old flash unit to your camera, click the link above so you can determine if there's any risk.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

brivett
396 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 16, 2006 16:29 |  #2

The problem is that there is SO much bull**** around about this. many people have been misled wildly by people wanting to sell them shiny new lights.

As an example - If you own a 20D, 30D, 1D mkII or 5D...(plus other that I have not seen personally) Canon have been good enough to print in your manuals that their sync sockets are safe for flashes with sync of up to 250V ! It's there in print !

Any camera who claims a ISO hotshoe is safe for upto 24V on the centre (trigger) pin....

Yes, there are old Vivitar 283's ,and 20 year old studio heads that exceed these numbers... so, be carefull but don't believe everything people tell you about all Canon digital cameras being limited to 6 volts.

Barry Rivett

http://www.studioflash​.co.uk (external link)
http://www.hotshots.me​.uk (external link)

Canon digital bodies, lenses, flashes.
Bowens Esprits and Monolites
Elinchrom Style and Classics
Interfit and Portaflash

Nick_C
Goldmember
4,042 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 16, 2006 17:06 |  #3

Thats true what Barry has said, I know a Powershot Pro1 doesnt like anything higher than 6v but I dont think DSLR's are as fussy.

If you really want to play it on the safe side you could get a Wein Safe Sync.

Nick :-)

brivett
396 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 17, 2006 11:47 |  #4

Moderator : This "Sticky" should be removed. The page is links to is wildly missleading at best and just plain untrue in many cases. Canon have stated in print 250V for many of the EOS range, yet this shows lights as not "EOS safe" at just 15V (e.g. Bowens traveller)

I'd expect a legal case if I was hosting this information.....

Let's only be experts about what we know about and let's not assume everyone else on the web is an expert because they can type.

Barry Rivett

Interfit and Portaflash

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 17, 2006 12:12 |  #5

brivett wrote in post #2131883 (external link)
Moderator : This "Sticky" should be removed. The page is links to is wildly missleading at best and just plain untrue in many cases. Canon have stated in print 250V for many of the EOS range, yet this shows lights as not "EOS safe" at just 15V (e.g. Bowens traveller)

I'd expect a legal case if I was hosting this information.....

Let's only be experts about what we know about and let's not assume everyone else on the web is an expert because they can type.

All well and good, if you don't happen to have a D30, D60, 10D, G1, G2 G3, . . ., which will be fried by excessive voltages. The linked page is clearly dated 2004. Removing the warning could be seen as at least as actionable, especially as someone acting in good faith on the lack of a generalized caution (that a hazard may exist) and who possesses a "low-voltage" camera will suffer actual equipment damage. For that matter, are you prepared to post your contact information so that, should we follow your advice, we can direct all litigants to you?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

brivett
396 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 17, 2006 15:05 |  #6

Surely it's not your legal responsibility to post a "generalised caution" but by posting links to blatently incorrect information you devalue all of the other information that is acurate. You could of course post a generalised caution - This link is not generalised... It clearly states some model lights as harmfull to all EOS digital cameras. Not true.

It's your call as whether you wish to remain as a respected source of information or just another internet scare mongering rumour mill......

The real funny thing is I actaully have a finnancial interest in selling protection devices to those scared by the information on the page which is linked to.... I just chose to be honest about the threat and not to take advantage of those with less information. So yes.. keep the link... I need a new HiFi ! I'm also a sponsor of this site and totally believe in it... until now.

You will note that all of my contact information is available as part of my profile... I'm just saying let's not miss-lead the readers.... Bizzare

Barry Rivett

Interfit and Portaflash

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 17, 2006 16:09 |  #7

I have added a caveat to my original post concerning the somewhat dated nature of the linked page and the fact that more recent models have higher voltage tolerances. Since there are more than a few flash units on the list with reported voltage readings exceeding 250v, it still contains a lot of valuable information.

My purpose for posting this thread was to provide a relatively simple (though admittedly not completely definitive) way to answer a frequently asked question.

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

brivett
396 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 17, 2006 16:22 |  #8

Hi Curtis... Good move...

Thanks

Barry Rivett

Interfit and Portaflash

tiha
960 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 17, 2006 16:27 as a reply to  @ brivett's post |  #9

Are 20D, 30D etc. safe up 250V only on sync socket or on hotshoe too?

EOS 5D, EOS 30D, EOS 3, PowerShot G6
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, TS-E 90mm f/2.8, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Speedlite 580EX, Speedlite 430EX, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Transmitter ST-E2
PBase: http://www.pbase.com/v​_tihomir (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 17, 2006 16:38 |  #10

The 250V rating is for the PC sync socket, not the hotshoe. The hotshoe is what the 6V rating is for. I wouldn't be scared plugging in an old light into the PC socket (I plug a 300V light into my 20D), but the hotshoe is a different story.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 17, 2006 16:51 |  #11

The hot-shoe and the PC socket are connected on the same circuit (AFAIK)...so the rating is for either one.

I don't see the need to get worked up about posting a site like that. There is plenty of false information on this, and every other forum...and plenty of web sites. I don't see anything too wonrg there. As far as I know, the botzilla list was started as a list for film EOS cameras...which I assume were mostly rated at 6V. Hence the warning for anything over that. Using that list with new DSLR EOS cameras rated at 250V can hardly be dangerous...if it was a maybe at 6V...surely 250V is safe. If anything worries me about that list...is that some units get wildly varying ratings.

Either way, the updated warning is a good idea.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 17, 2006 22:53 |  #12

The first attachment below is an excerpt from the 20D instruction manual. The second is from the 350D manual. Both say not to use a high-voltage flash unit on the hotshoe. Neither one defines what "high voltage" means. One might assume that it means "higher than 250v" judging by what it says about the PC cord socket, but it is, at the very least, ambiguous in the 20D manual, and totally undefined in the 350D manual.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

brivett
396 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 18, 2006 03:55 |  #13

Also bear in mind that when a manufacturer refers to the hot shoe voltage it can mean any of the various pads. If Canon limit the dedication pads to 6volts that will not affect their compliance with the ISO standard for at least 24v on the centre trigger pin. |t would make perfect sense for the dedication pads to be limited to TTL (as in electronics not photo) levels... but this has zero importance to users of fire and forget studio lights.

Note on the scans above... in neither case do Canon suggest or warn that damage may occurr or warranties be affected...

Barry Rivett

Interfit and Portaflash

Pamela107
320 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Oct 20, 2006 08:43 as a reply to  @ brivett's post |  #14

So are you saying that I can use my Sunpak 422D with (canon AE-1,A-1,etc) module , that it is safe?

Is this problem just with non DSLR's ?

I have checked the trigger voltage , which shows 5.99.
I have the flash attached to my stroboframe, with a Sunpak ETX-09 extension cord to the hotshoe, on my Canon Rebel xt.

But , I havent tried using this as yet, until I know that it wont damage the rebel.

It would be interesting to find out what voltage is put out with any of the Canon flashes.

Canon Rebel XT
Canon 50 1.4
Canon 70-200 4L
Mamiya 645 Pro
www.exposedimages.net (external link)

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 20, 2006 09:33 |  #15

Pamela,

Unfortunately it's hard to get a straight answer.

Your measurement of around 6v agrees with a few others reported. And I have read that the RebelXT can handle 250 volts, but it is second-hand information. I haven't found any official documentation from Canon that specifies a voltage limit.

My cynical guess is that your flash will not harm your camera, and Canon refuses to be specific, just to scare people into buying new Speedlites. But that's just a guess.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

33,939 views & 0 likes for this thread, 22 members have posted to it.
Is my old flash unit safe for my new camera? Here's how to find out.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.