Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 09 Jan 2004 (Friday) 00:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

S45 vs A80

jun-tao
37 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 09, 2004 00:13 |  #1

I've comparing the two all day and can't seem to find which is a better buy. I know the A80 is much newer but I can get the s45 about $90 cheaper. Plus the specs look about the same.

Which do you think is the better deal?

raziel055
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 09, 2004 01:19 |  #2

S45 vs A80

Hey man I am having the same dilemma however its between the S50 and the A80. I would go for the S45 definitely, it was my first choice but i cannot find any legitimate places that are offering the S45 camera. That is why i am looking at the S50. I found the S50 for $371 and the A80 for $359. All the S50 reviews say that the S45 and the S50 are identical except for the S50 having 5mp and the 4.1 digital zoom. The S45/s50 have better movie modes than the A80. I would go with the S45 definitely. Here is the link to the review for the S50...it lists the very small difference at the top and highly recommends both the S50 and S45.

http://www.dcresource.​com …ot_s50-review/index.shtml (external link)

If you could i was wondering if you could let me know the place you are getting the S45 from. It would be a great help, because it would definitely be my choice. Hope this helps.

PeterS45
518 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Jan 09, 2004 02:19 |  #3

With the A80 you'll miss the possibilty of shooting in RAW-mode and use manual settings, but if you don't need that who bothers. The advantage of the A80 is the use of AA Nimh batteries where the S45 use it's own (expensive) power cell.

EOS 350D/Rebel XT, Sigma 18-125 & 55-200mm.

S45_fornow...
530 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jan 09, 2004 09:19 |  #4

You might find the link below interesting. I bought an S45 for this very reason...

http://forums.dpreview​.com …orum=1010&messa​ge=7217150 (external link)

BTW, A80 does have full manual controls, a swivel LCD, and accomodates add on lenses/filters more readily than S45. S45 does have RAW and a few other features similar to the G3/G5 that are not found on the A80 (intervalometer for instance).

jun-tao
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 10, 2004 01:52 |  #5

raziel055 - go to http://www.staples.ca …tegoryId=3&skus​etid=16025 (external link) and add the camera into your cart. then input coupon codes: 58273 and 68347

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,002 views & 0 likes for this thread
S45 vs A80
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.