Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Oct 2006 (Monday) 12:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20D re-focuses when re-composing

Ian ­ Trott
21 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 23, 2006 12:50 |  #1

Wondering if any Canon DSLR users out there in Cyberspace have run into this peculiar problem. Seems to happen after the camera has been in use off and on for a few hours - wedding photography. Anyway, what happens is ... I'm strictly using the center focus point, focus on my subject, shutter release depressed halfway, then I recompose the shot. Shutter release still being held halfway - no change in pressure being applied, and when I depress the shutter release all the way down there is a VERY noticable lag before the shutter activates and when it does the center focus point re-focuses on wherever it's now aimed a split second before shutter activation. All this after recomposing my shot. Now my subject is of course out of focus. This problem will almost certainly have to be investigated and repaired by Canon, but I'm trying to find out if anyone has ever had a similar problem and what the outcome was.
Thanks to all who respond.
Ps ... in all cases I've had a 550 EX flash attached but not necessarily turned on.

sponsored links
AirBrontosaurus
Goldmember
3,814 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 23, 2006 12:54 |  #2

I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work. If you have it in AI-Focus mode, the camera is supposed to try and predict the movement of its subject. That way, if you focus on something, and while you still have the shutter held down it moves (to a large degree, anyways), then the camera re-focuses so you don't miss your shot.

To fix this, I would first change it to one-shot AF mode. If that doesn't work, try using manual focus. Have the camera focus on what you want, and then switch it into manual mode. That way, it won't ever refocus because it can't.

Chris | My Flickr (external link) | AirBrontosaurus.com (external link) | Peleng 8mm Fisheye writeup (external link)
Body
: Canon 5D
Lenses: Canon 24-105mm f/4 L | Canon MP-E 65mm Macro | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 23, 2006 12:57 |  #3

Yup, AI focus will do that everytime, so will Servo.
Use custom function 4-1 and you don't have to worry about that.
If you are in One shot, then it's something else.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 23, 2006 13:05 |  #4

As Tee Why said, use CFn4-1 to separate the autofocus from the shutter button. It allows you to use the * button to AF, then use the shutter button to meter.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

Ian ­ Trott
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 23, 2006 14:30 as a reply to  @ cfcRebel's post |  #5

Sorry folks, forgot to mention one important point. I'm shooting in "one shot mode" (evaluative metering) with CF4 set to default "0". I just now tried setting CF4 to lock focus with the * button and lock exposure with the shutter release - can't remember which number that is. It works, but only some of the time, and just as often the shutter won't lock the exposure. That suggests my problem is with the shutter mechanism - at least to my way of thinking .... which isn't always the brightest.
Again, thanks in advance for any al all tips/suggestions.

badrotation
390 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 23, 2006 18:00 |  #6

Dirt in the shutter button.... Ran in to this problem with all my bodies... Easily fixed if you want to disect the camera, or just send it into canon.

braduardo
Goldmember
2,630 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 23, 2006 18:09 |  #7

I had dirt in my * button... Eventually I just decided to use a razor knife to pop the button out... Cleaned it up.. but had to use a drop of super glue to hold it back in place... Not a lot, just enough to keep it stuck to the button inside. Works like a charm now. I wouldn't do it if I had a better camera that would be worth the repair bill, but to spend $100-200 to fix a camera that goes for $300 give or take, I would rather just do the simple fixes myself.

:rolleyes: ----Brad---- :rolleyes:
www.nybergstudio.com (external link)
40D: EF 17-40 f4 L ---- EF 70-200mm f4 L ---- EF 50mm f1.4 ---- EF 85mm f1.8

sponsored links

1,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
20D re-focuses when re-composing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.