Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Oct 2006 (Thursday) 18:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10-22 broke in half! How much is this going to cost me? HELP!

4830Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 26, 2006 22:44 as a reply to  @ post 2175033 |  #31

Lightstream wrote in post #2174904 (external link)
Ouch...

I *HIGHLY* doubt that the 17-40 would have survived that, mind you. I've owned both, sold my 10-22, miss it, hope it did not come to a bad end in the evil world.

The only good news I can tell you is... I believe Canon designed the lens mounts to be breakaway, even on the L's. I think someone broke their 17-40 the exact same way. This is to minimize catastrophic damage and make it easier for them to fix. (doesn't mean they'll charge any less but that's a separate issue). The flexboards are on field-pluggable connectors, and if the connectors are broke they might probably change the PCBs. Just my speculation.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

MrChad wrote in post #2174962 (external link)
??? Where do you get this?

My 24-70L was dropped a week into ownership. the focus ring and front element was broken, in addition to some damaged internal collar parts. My repair total was under $200 total.

The repair rate is usually a ratio of the lens total MSRP value. My guess would be someting more like 25-50% of total lens value for this repair.

But it is repairable, Canon will provide an estimate usually within a week of recieving the lens?

These are both very comforting comments... it does look like the rear part was ment (in one way or another) be separated in such a situation... as for the parts that need to be replaced it looks like only the plastic inner mount that the front part (where all the glass is held in) of the lens and the ribbon wires... it seems to zoom just fine and seems to manual focus smoothly... Also I will be sending it CPS which has a 3 day turnaround time so the estimate will come in the day its received...

Thank you all, I needed some comfort... for im a money-ill college student who has a serious hobby in photography... ill keep you updated...

Justin

Canon 5D \ Grip \ EF-S 17-40mm f4L \ EF 24-70mm f/2.8L \ 70-200mm f/4L \ 50mm 1.4 USM \ blah, blah, blah...

sponsored links
A01
522 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 26, 2006 22:48 |  #32

You HAVE to be joking?! It looks like you threw it at the ground not dropped it!!!

Aaron
FOR SALE
- My Gear - Some of my Work (external link) - POTN Aussie Club -

kram
obvious its pointless
2,611 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 26, 2006 22:56 |  #33

It really hurts looking at it.

You should have added the mandatory warning - some of the images may be disturbing - viewer discretion is advised.

all the best with the repairs - hope its lower than your wildest hopes.....

Canon 7D , Canon 6D, 100-400 L, 24-105 F4 L, 50 F1.4, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 1.4X Extender
My Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 26, 2006 23:08 |  #34

4830Deuce wrote in post #2173985 (external link)
So i dropped my 10-22 today... it broke in half at the manual focus ring all the internal glass is still intact but some of the electric ribbons were ripped off and the inner mount was broken.... See pictures.... Is it fixable?.. and will it cost me less then just buying a new one?

It's fixable. Send it to Canon and get a quote. I don't know if it will cost more than a replacement or not, but since the glass and most of the lens is intact, it will likely require replacement of only a few parts. Won't be cheap, I'm sure. $300+ is my guess, and that's only a guess.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

BradT0517
I almost caught fire
3,010 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 26, 2006 23:47 |  #35

dputz wrote in post #2174989 (external link)
It's just a flesh wound.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

gah why does this seem so familiar

My Website (external link)

BradT0517
I almost caught fire
3,010 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 26, 2006 23:51 |  #36

Well you can just save a whole lot of by going for a 1DsMII and a 16-35 so much cheaper

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 27, 2006 00:17 |  #37

MrChad wrote in post #2174962 (external link)
??? Where do you get this?

Some personal experience with canon. :D

I would charge the same thing. Just as much to not make the customer buy a new item.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

cjm
Goldmember
4,786 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 27, 2006 00:24 |  #38

Hate to say it but it looks like an unrepairable lens. Often stores will exchange a P&S camera rather then send it away, when they do this they throw the unworking camera on the ground and smash it. This lens looks very similar to smashed electronics I have seen.

Really sorry for your loss. You can try to get it replaced but there are no guarantees I think.

Christopher J. Martin
imagesbychristopher.co​m (external link)

calicokat
Cream of the Crop
14,720 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 27, 2006 01:16 |  #39

Sorry to hear and see this :(

"You are going to fall off a cliff trying to get a better shot someday"- My hopeful and loving wife :eek: :twisted:

My Gear

Calicokat 1990-2007 RIP My Loving Kitty

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 27, 2006 02:44 as a reply to  @ post 2174429 |  #40

Did you drop it from your roof;)

Gear List

EOSAddict
Book Committee Immortal
6,091 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 27, 2006 04:04 |  #41

I feel your pain! Dropped my 30D and Toki on Wed, only from less than a foot - thank god for magnesium body - only a tiny scratch on the paint! But my heart stopped for more than a few seconds! Hope it all works out, let us know. After recent thread on Col_M's 'scrap off ebay' 24-70L I expect Canon will recover it!

Al
My Gear, My Website: www.endofthetrailphoto​graphy.com (external link)

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 27, 2006 10:10 |  #42

This looks really easy to fix. Replace the ribbon and the parts that have sheared off can be unscrewed and the new part screwed back on.

The only issue is if the elements have shifted.

I should be a lens repairer.

Photos from Iceland (external link) | London (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

4830Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 27, 2006 11:12 |  #43

curiousgeorge wrote in post #2177198 (external link)
This looks really easy to fix. Replace the ribbon and the parts that have sheared off can be unscrewed and the new part screwed back on.

The only issue is if the elements have shifted.

I should be a lens repairer.

Exactly... And from what i can tell the elements seem to be in place I taped it back together and it seemed to be in good order... I actually tried to take a picture with it... but got an Error 99...

-Justin

Canon 5D \ Grip \ EF-S 17-40mm f4L \ EF 24-70mm f/2.8L \ 70-200mm f/4L \ 50mm 1.4 USM \ blah, blah, blah...

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 27, 2006 11:33 |  #44

BradT0517 wrote in post #2175487 (external link)
gah why does this seem so familiar

because it is the greatest scene in movie history? Monty Phyton and the holy grail.... and the guy with no arms or legs is the black knight.

Reefbone
929 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 27, 2006 12:25 |  #45

malla1962 wrote in post #2175980 (external link)
Did you drop it from your roof;)

The OP says in the fifth reply on this thread....

" yeah... it was more of a fling, it caught on to my backpack when i was putting it on my back and it traveled about 8 feet before it hit and brick wall then the cement ground..."

Come back here.. I'll bite your knee caps off!

Rebel XT, EF-S 17-55IS f/2.8, EF-S 17-85IS f/4-5.6, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX, Manfrotto Anchor, I9900

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death" - Stephen Colbert

sponsored links

8,224 views & 0 likes for this thread
10-22 broke in half! How much is this going to cost me? HELP!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.