Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 29 Oct 2006 (Sunday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice Needed

cannylad
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 29, 2006 13:42 |  #1

I hope someone can give me a little advice on how can photograph some 60's album covers.

I recently joined my local photographic society, and they have a digital section that holds AV evenings to a theme.

The next is called A Splash of Colour, and i would like to use this event to post a small slide-show reflecting both the title and my various interests.

I usually photograph birds , plants, insects, so photography indoors is a new experience for me.

I love music so i would like to add a few album cover to show my tastes in music, but any advice on how to take a good pic will be gratefully received.

I have enclosed a quick test photo (hopefully).

Info as follows.

Canon 350D Sigma 105mm macro lens.

Stats.
AP priority.
TV 1/15.
AV 3.5
EXP Comp 0
ISO 200
White Balance Auto.

Room light + 2 60 watt spots.

Pic cropped in PS but not much else.

I am very new to photography so please go easy , I'm a birder who is gradually taking a bigger interest in taking better images.

Hope this is the right thread for this topic.

Regards brian.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brian R
Canon 5D, Canon 40D 24-70mm f 2.8 L usm, 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400mm L IS,
Canon 1.4 extender.

sponsored links
Athena
Must stop thinking
9,581 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 29, 2006 20:14 |  #2

I've not tried to shoot flat artwork before, so don't have a lot of advice. For the image you posted, based on the glare you have on camera left I'd suggest diffusing your light source. Or alternatively you could arrange a few of your favorite albums and shoot them as a still life?

www.athenacarey.com

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 30, 2006 15:13 |  #3

Thank for replying Athena, yes i will try diffusing the light source, i will just have to play around a little to see if i can make these flat surfaces more interesting.

regards brian.

Brian R
Canon 5D, Canon 40D 24-70mm f 2.8 L usm, 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400mm L IS,
Canon 1.4 extender.

MagicallyDelicious
Goldmember
4,083 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 30, 2006 15:15 |  #4

Ive photographed photographs before so i spose its the same thing.

I always found it was best to do it outside on a very dull day.

You dont get any of the shiny spots like on the top left corner of your album cover.

every mistake is a lesson learned

My Website (external link) Myspace (external link)
Canon 300D 18-55 Kit, Canon 35-80, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 500 DG Super,
Bits n Bobs
RAW FOR DUMMIES

Your Mind Is Like A Parachute.....Only Works When Open.

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 30, 2006 15:29 |  #5

MagicallyDelicious wrote in post #2191616 (external link)
Ive photographed photographs before so i spose its the same thing.

I always found it was best to do it outside on a very dull day.

You don't get any of the shiny spots like on the top left corner of your album cover.

Thanks for that, i was just wondering about trying to find somewhere outside as this is where i normally take photos with a plain background would make them stand out better.

cheers brian.

Brian R
Canon 1.4 extender.

D. ­ Craig ­ Flory
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 31, 2006 10:32 as a reply to  @ cannylad's post |  #6

I agree about photographing outdoors. You don't need to wait for a dull day. Just do them in open shade. Make sure you pick a spot that is mostly white or grey so the area doesn't affect your colors.

Make sure, first, about the copyright © on the album covers. The fines, and penalties, can be high.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog.,
ASP // loryphotog@mindspring.​com (external link)

sponsored links

1,399 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice Needed
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.