Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Nov 2006 (Friday) 18:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New member - from a Leica M3, Konica T3, Maxxum 7, to my 30D

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 03, 2006 18:04 |  #1

Just introducing myself, in the 1960's I learned photography from my dad with his Leica M3 rangefinder. Then I graduated to the other cameras as well. Currently I have the 30D with the 17-55 Canon lens attached. Believe it or not this is my first digital camera and boy what a positive change from my film days.

One quick question. Does anybody know why when I activate the pop up flash and aim at a doorknob about 6 feet from me, when I am in either shutter or aperture mode my viewfinder displays 1/8th at f2.8 but when I am in the program AE mode using the pop up flash I get 1/60 at f2.8? This is about 3 stops different and the program AE picture turns out better.

Thanks in advance and see you on the threads...

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

sponsored links
Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,723 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 03, 2006 18:24 |  #2

Welcome to P.O.T.N.
I don't have a 30D so I can't help you, but I'm sure someone will soon.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Nov 03, 2006 18:50 |  #3

Welcome. At one time Iused Konica SLRs too. They were one of the first to have a reliable auto-exposure mode. Too bad they never figured out how auto-focus works.

In Av or Tv mode your camera will try to expose for ambient light and only use flash for fill. At 1/8 of a second the light is dim so you are not going to get a bright picture, even with flash and camera movement will make the image soft if you hand hold.

In P mode your camera will switch to making the flash the main source of light. The flash will provide enough light to brighten the subject. The image will be sharper because the actual flash duration is probably much shorter than the shutter speed and any camera movement during the 1/60 second the shutter is open will not be exposed enough to be recorded and soften the image.

DeCarbe
51 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 04, 2006 14:27 as a reply to  @ ScottE's post |  #4

Just wanted to say welcome!:cool:

Canon 50mm/f1.8 Lens

http://flickr.com/phot​os/iamshe (external link)

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,723 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 04, 2006 16:57 |  #5

I must confess that I use Program mode most of the time when the flash is on my camera. The exception to that is in bright conditions behind my subject, or trying to eliminate the shadow from a baseball cap's visor. (Usually AV mode.)

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

RedSox
62 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 04, 2006 17:06 |  #6

Midlife Crisis wrote in post #2212841 (external link)
One quick question. Does anybody know why when I activate the pop up flash and aim at a doorknob about 6 feet from me, when I am in either shutter or aperture mode my viewfinder displays 1/8th at f2.8 but when I am in the program AE mode using the pop up flash I get 1/60 at f2.8? This is about 3 stops different and the program AE picture turns out better.

If you choose aperture or shutter priorty mode, Flash will act as fill in flash. If you choose program mode. Then flash could be either fill in or main light source, if the program decide the light is too dim and will cause camera shake.

BTW, I never get good result from the on camera pop up flash. If you are shoot lots of in-door stuff, i recommend you invest a hot shoe mount flash.

I usaually choose M mode indoor and AV mode outdoor for flash photography

Midlife ­ Crisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 04, 2006 19:00 |  #7

Thanks for all your advice! I don't normally use flash but I was just playing with the camera and noticed the differences so I thought I'ld ask. To keep this thread going...is there a way to extend the time the display in the viewfinder stays on? If I don't press the shutter to activate it the display turns off in about 3 seconds. I emailed Canon and they said there wasn't a way to extend the time. I was thinking maybe those Canon Hack sites could come up with something...

Don't let my "Midlife Crisis" name scare you. When we bought our last boat the wife said I must be having a midlife crisis.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,666 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 04, 2006 19:19 |  #8

Welcome. And welcome to one of Canon's interesting quirks (I am sure someone somewhere has a perfectly good explanation how the priorities would make sense for fill flash and not main light source, but I have never bought into that). When this happens I either step down to P mode, or up to M and set my own parameters.

30D is so far the best Canon I have owned (compared to 20D, 10D, and all other Nokin Film Cameras).

Cheers, and looking forward to some pictures !!...

--Mario
"Sensa luce non si vede nessuna cosa"--Lorenzo Ghiberti

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 04, 2006 21:58 |  #9

Midlife Crisis wrote in post #2212841 (external link)

Midlife:

I had a similar problem; in Av mode, with flash up, the shutter speed was 0"6 or 0.60 seconds.

When I changed Custom Function 03 (C.Fn-03 on page 168 of manual) to 1/250 second "Flash sync. speed in Av mode" it fired at 1/250 second.

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Nov 04, 2006 23:55 |  #10

I used a custom function to turn the display off so it does not come on after every shot. If I want to have a look I just push the display button and it comes on for as long as I want. If I am not going to look at the display, there is no point wasting battery power by turning it on.

sponsored links

994 views & 0 likes for this thread
New member - from a Leica M3, Konica T3, Maxxum 7, to my 30D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.