Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Nov 2006 (Tuesday) 11:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #92 - Stones

rpolitsr
5,949 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 07, 2006 11:53 |  #1

Challenge #92 - Stones - WINNERS

Many thanks to all the participants. This week I had the time to follow the submissions one by one as they were posted, and after every entry the difficulty to pick the winners increased.

I will do my best to comment each picture. While I would like to be proficient evaluating photography, some of you, older in these challenges, already know that I am not, so take the following comments mainly as encouraging criticism and as a description of my own thoughts and feelings rather than an absolute scoring of the pictures.

I hope each of you (participants and visitors alike) will comment the entries, so that by the end of this week we will have a better understanding of each photo submitted.

Submisions

Click the names to see the pictures.

• Action_ManUntitled

A wonderful opening.
    Although I was criticized before for an out-of-focus foreground on a picture of mine, I think that the slightly blurred stones in the first row help to frame the main group of sharp focused, beautifully textured and colored stones next to them, which are clearly the main subject.
    The horizon line high in the picture also helps to draw the attention to the main subject.
    The splashes of pale red add life to the picture dominated by the light blue and green tones of most of the stones.
    If that was a centered crop, a previous rotation of the image to avoid the slanted buildings of the background would be great for my obsession to keep the vertical lines near to the true vertical.

• AndreyDStoned to oblivion

Another horizon line high in the picture to keep the attention toward the ground.

The individual stones are less conspicuous, but it is still a nice shot of the crowd :) . The stone’s color contrast with the green grass and the bright yellow flowers bring life to the picture and draw some of the attention due to the stones.

The hill side and the large focal length (I think the lens was zoomed-in) make the picture a bit flat, but the trees sunk in the other side counteract that feeling. An interesting capture.

I realized that it was recycled from ‘Abandoned’, which is perfectly legal, and fits this proposed theme quiet well.

• Bouttybrazilian Citrine?

You surprised me twice. I asked for gemstones, and you surprised me with assembled jewels. They are part of the possible subjects, of course.

I thought of clever light angles to enhance the stone’s textures and your shot use the light to enhance the transparency.

There is a pleasant contrast from the upper side with slightly out-of-focus and overexposed gems to the lower side showing warmer tones and slightly underexposed faceted round gems.

The light gray reflective table is the perfect companion for the necklace.
    As this is a staged picture, I think these are not coincidences but a deliberate work of the photographer. Nicely done.

Brazilian Citrine? May be, I am pretty far from being an expert jeweler.

• an33sh"Darkened Brightness"

A beautiful picture with the border between light and shadow mathematically placed within the rule of thirds’ line. The glow of light in the upper side is almost mystic and contrasts with the dark silhouettes of the group of stones outlined by the light with the lower one having an extra brush stroke of light to show its texture.
    I think the emphasis is drawn a bit from the stones to the path of light that evades them, as if it is walking in bare feet, and spreads through the leaves that seems to me as new live at the start of the spring, or after a long time without rain, or just growing sparingly below the always present shadow of the trees.

• mariea helping hand on the stepping stones

A beautiful small river with huge stones it is.
    One may think that the hard light from the upper right will darken most of the things facing to the camera that are almost backlit, but the balance between the lighted side and the shadowy side is great. This nicely shapes the tree trunks in the background and the stones all over there, mainly the two foremost stones where the two girls are standing, and enhances with a darker shadow what seems to be a small water fall just bellow scene.
    The action catches the attention and the cute young ladies surrounded by crystalline water and wonderful stones become the main subject.

• andrewaaa5cruz de piedra

In Spanish the word stone piedra and the word tombstone lápida are phonetically different. It was not a surprise to see your picture though because many tombstones are made of stone.
    A cruz de piedra (stone cross) is frequently part of burial monuments in the Christian cultures and your picture has many of them.

It resembles an old scanned print, ‘healed’ cracks and rips included, but I will assume it is all post processing (pp).

I will not dare to guess what is pp and what not or how you made it, but let me say that I like it. The mood created by the tombs, the iron fence, the trees, the snow and those ‘old’ colors, the grain and the blurred parts of the picture enhance the presence of stone (old carved stone?) there. Very well done.

• nvidia5700Yellow Diamond Ring, in National Museum of Natural History, DC

As already said to Boutty, I am pretty far from being an expert jeweler.

From a photographic point of view the crystal-like reflections and transparencies are difficult to deal with. As regards to them, I can see a good job: correct exposure with just very small overexposed points, mainly light spots, I guess.
    The black background allowed seeing the hidden edges and faces of the diamond and that is another difficult point adequately resolved.

It seems that in an attempt to keep the background as dark as possible some shadow information of the jewel was clipped to black.
    Moving the ring to the right and allowing a wider black space on top will make a better composition in my opinion.

I can assume that it is a somewhat special diamond from its size, its color, its shape. The fact that it is owned by a museum, I learned from the title, because the last part of it is almost a description. I would be happier with just ‘Yellow Diamond Ring’ or ‘Yellow reflections’ or whatever you think makes a nice title without providing information impossible to find from the picture alone.

• JapaneezyBlowhole

A nice picture. I can see attention to detail in the leveled sea’s surface, in the framing of the main objects inside the picture, in the timing with the waves and the blow. It has the sunny background well exposed and has some level of detail in the clouds, with the drawback of darkened rocks in the foreground, which should be the main subject.
    I think I like the pole in the place it is in a picture without a specific theme, but it catches the attention more than the water blow and more than the stones.

• teekaySculpted By The Sea

Can I describe it as an almost perfect portrait of a stone? Its light color, subtle texture shine over the dark, moistened sand and tiny pebbles. The footprints behind provides a reference for its size and the shape of the stone brings it to life in an attitude similar to a crab that, with his eyes popped up, pays close attention to the camera aiming to him.

• alans220Stony Silence

The almost neutral, misty background, the horizon line high in the frame of the picture, the water reflecting the gray sky in the center of the image draw the attention to shallow waters were the colored stones of the bottom are the main subject. Beautiful shot.

I wonder if the motion blur on the static stones produced by the water movement can be avoided.

Is it a picture on the same lake you posted before? or, are you are lucky enough to have more than one beautiful lake near home?

• Reed Goodwin"The Third Morning"

Another group of tombstones in a quite different cemetery. Certainly the foremost stone is important but I think the flowers behind it are still the main subject.

The warm and rich colors of the right and the long shadows make an interesting picture. It would be even better without so much glow in the sun glare from the left side.

Perhaps I missed something, but the title “The third Morning” has no special meaning to me. Would you mind explaining it?

• IainBStony Batter

I have no practice at all with Infra Red (IR) photography, but I really enjoy it in general and your picture in particular.
    It seems quiet to me (contrary to your title? Not sure that I fully understand ‘Batter’).

I like the ‘right’ exposure of the stones and how their texture is enhanced by the distorted tonal rendition.

Are those the ‘natural’ colors obtained with the IR filter right from the camera or are they ‘developed’ in post processing?

The small overexposed areas of the grass are not a big problem for me, but the large white and flat cloud bothers me a little.

Winners

It was hard to pick up the winners because of the high quality of each photo entry.
Many thanks to all the participants. Please feel free to post your constructive comments.

Challenge #92 - Stones

From small pebbles passing through gem stones to building rocky blocks or even rocky mountains :) .

Let stones be the main subject of your picture, show their textures, show them enhanced by clever light angles, show the work of mankind on them or show them as natural as it gets. Be creative.

Read carefully the rules below in this post and follow them.

Enjoy

P.S.
To write the Photo Title in the message subject line as asked by the rules, in the quick reply pane at the bottom of the thread’s page click ‘Go Advanced’ then you have a title box AND an editing box.

Remember the camera model and picture must be in your post; optionally, a brief relevant EXIF data and no other comments.

To submit, click "Post Reply" and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, November 13th 2006

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1,G2,G3,G5,G6, G7) or Pro 1 only.
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
  3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 640 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging" (about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
Action_Man
Goldmember
2,561 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 07, 2006 15:16 |  #2

Canon G5

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gordon
http://www.justmacro.c​om (external link)

AndreyD
708 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Nov 08, 2006 02:02 as a reply to  @ Action_Man's post |  #3

Stoned to oblivion

PowerShot G6

HOSTED PHOTO

Andrey
Moscow, Russia
flickr (external link)|blogger (external link)|facebook (external link)|livejournal (external link)|project365 (external link)

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 09, 2006 04:59 as a reply to  @ AndreyD's post |  #4

brazilian Citrine?

Canon G6

HOSTED PHOTO

an33sh
140 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 09, 2006 20:41 |  #5

"Darkened Brightness"

PowerShot G2
1/125 F/4

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …A%20PICS/196-9685_IMG.jpg (external link)

[Rebel XT. Canon 28-80 III. Canon 55-250 IS. 50mm 1.8 MKII. Speedlight 380EX.](HARD EARNED UPGRADE!)
And a G2. No bazooka lenses.Vision. Passion.
A littl bit of skill.And a world to capture.
www.an33sh.deviantart.​com:D (external link)

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Nov 10, 2006 18:08 as a reply to  @ an33sh's post |  #6

a helping hand on the stepping stones

pro1
1/125 f/4

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/70009123/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 11, 2006 08:49 |  #7

cruz de piedra

.g3.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

nvidia5700
24 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 11, 2006 21:18 as a reply to  @ andrewaaa5's post |  #8

Yellow Diamond Ring, in National Museum of Natural History, DC

Canon Powershot G6

HOSTED PHOTO

G. Li

Canon EOS 30D & Canon EOS XSi

Welcome to my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/photozerg/[/U (external link). ;)

Japaneezy
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 11, 2006 23:57 |  #9

Blowhole

G7 7mm 1/320 f4

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i15.photobucket​.com …iftahxs/blowhol​e25061.jpg (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
2,972 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Nov 12, 2006 10:28 as a reply to  @ Japaneezy's post |  #10

Sculpted By The Sea

G1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

alans220
90 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 12, 2006 10:29 as a reply to  @ Japaneezy's post |  #11

Stony Silence

G6.

HOSTED PHOTO

Reed ­ Goodwin
Goldmember
1,148 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 12, 2006 19:15 |  #12

"The Third Morning"
Pro1
1/400th f3.2

HOSTED PHOTO

My devices for capturing visible light
My Gallery (external link)

IainB
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Nov 13, 2006 03:50 |  #13

Stony Batter

G1 Hoya IR 72

HOSTED PHOTO

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,949 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 13, 2006 06:00 |  #14

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit_2/pictures/potnresized/thumbs92/92_00_stopposting_8528.gif
Stop posting!

Challenge #92 – Stones – is closed for judging.

Thanks to all for submitting those wonderful photos.
Results will be announced as soon as possible.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,949 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 14, 2006 04:52 |  #15

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit_2/pictures/potnresized/thumbs92/92_13_winnersannounced.jpg
Winners announced on top

Your comments are welcome and encouraged.
Thank you very much.

rafael

sponsored links

6,846 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #92 - Stones
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.