Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 21 Nov 2006 (Tuesday) 01:52
Search threadPrev/next

Jason Cole - You asked for it ...

Jason ­ Cole
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 29, 2006 14:54 |  #46

Yes I had a lot of people against me too Sissi. When I told everyone I wanted to give up Engineering (A stable well paid job) completely to do photography I got some odd looks. The thing is its my life and I want to be happy, so I made my choice, had some tought times, then things started to get better. You just have to set your goal and go for it, dont let anyone tell you no. Thats my advice :-) Thats my 20c.

In Australia we also have whats knows as the "Tall Poppy Syndrome". Its where some people that get jelous try to bring down the succesful people. Even though I always put myself out there and make myself available to anyone for questions etc. there are still some very nasty people who make it their job to discredit succesful people. Its all part and parcel of having success in a very competitive arena.

I love my work, I love my art, and im going to do it for as long as i can.. until my last breath, hence my business SLogan "The Passion of the Art".

Cheers, Jason Cole
nfo@colestudios.com.au (external link)
Canon EOS 1DS MK III, L Series lenses, Broncolour Studio

sissi
764 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 29, 2006 19:50 |  #47

my dad nearly killed me when i left my daily job back in 2004, but started to talk to me again when i had to return back to repay my incredible liabilities since i failed the first time. He was screaming in happyness when i had to sell my PC, cameras, glass, even tripod heh. I am pretty sure that when i will be on feet again in few months, i will try to go back to my life's hobby again. Maybe also thanks to You. I already started to look for half time job as some step inbetween :-). Maybe my slogan should be "Life for art" because if i will my dad that i left my job again, second time, he is definitely going to kill me, definitelly.

(Canon 50e:p, ND300:oops:, 50/1.4, Tokina MF 80-200/2.8 Gallery is private now.http://steinerart.net/ (external link)

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,905 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 29, 2006 20:35 |  #48

Jason Cole wrote in post #2460688 (external link)
In Australia we also have whats knows as the "Tall Poppy Syndrome". Its where some people that get jelous try to bring down the succesful people.

We have it here as well. Must be a southern thing :(

https://500px.com/tony​searle/galleries (external link)

sissi
764 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 30, 2006 04:29 |  #49

weka2000 wrote in post #2462078 (external link)
We have it here as well. Must be a southern thing :(

We have it here as well. Must be a international thing :(

...here fixed that for you...

(Canon 50e:p, ND300:oops:, 50/1.4, Tokina MF 80-200/2.8 Gallery is private now.http://steinerart.net/ (external link)

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 30, 2006 04:36 |  #50

It's everywhere ... to live on your own terms you need either no ego or a tough skin. I respect anyone who makes the choice to be who they are and do what they love. My experience is that, short term hassles aside, doing the right thing with absolute integrity and staying focused will achieve the results you want. Godd luck to y'all ;-)a

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 30, 2006 10:09 |  #51

Sissi, how about putting your continent in your profile!? :-)

About being "put down", I had a guy comment on my photo blog that any Brooks student with a Kodak Brownie and $20 could shoot better images than me ... I didn't disagree but did point out that I am being paid. :-)

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

sissi
764 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 30, 2006 10:38 |  #52

DwightMcCann wrote in post #2464157 (external link)
Sissi, how about putting your continent in your profile!? :-)

The old continent :-)

DwightMcCann wrote:
I had a guy comment on my photo blog that any Brooks student with a Kodak Brownie and $20 could shoot better images than me ... I didn't disagree but did point out that I am being paid. :-)

owned

http://www.pbase.com/t​urbo4s/image/18034956 (external link)

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,905 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 30, 2006 15:03 as a reply to  @ sissi's post |  #53

Ive got to much attitude for this "Tall poppy syndrome" I worry about what I think and the rest of the world can take a flying leap.

On my death I want it known to the world that here lays a man who did not live in fear of what other thought.

Like Jason I am steping out to follow a dream despite what others think ( I do listen to my wife). If i fail at least I had the guts to try. Better to live with failures than to never have lived.

https://500px.com/tony​searle/galleries (external link)

Cybnew
Goldmember
2,010 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 05, 2007 00:40 |  #54

DwightMcCann wrote in post #2464157 (external link)
About being "put down", I had a guy comment on my photo blog that any Brooks student with a Kodak Brownie and $20 could shoot better images than me ... I didn't disagree but did point out that I am being paid. :-)

Jealousy can be powerful Dwight, I am pretty sure I would hire someone with real world experience over a brooks graduate anyday (and i was thinking about attending brooks!)

Gear List
Well, my name is Mat, but most people call me... Mat.

Adaptive
don't defend yourself, call modday
1,018 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 05, 2007 00:49 |  #55

Jason Cole wrote in post #2460688 (external link)
Its where some people that get jelous try to bring down the succesful people. Even though I always put myself out there and make myself available to anyone for questions etc. there are still some very nasty people who make it their job to discredit succesful people. Its all part and parcel of having success in a very competitive arena.

I just read this and I would like to quote it on my website or someplace in the future! This is great! I'm not even 5% as successful as you are and I also have met my fair share of jealous people in the past. But the way I see it, I'm still VERY young and unexperienced, they're all VERY old and have more experience so for them to be jealous of me makes me happy and makes me want to make them even more jealous! I have a feeling you and I could be good friends dear Jason. :cool:

I will have to come back and read the whole thread later, it's sleepy time for me right now though :(

Jason ­ Cole
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 05, 2007 01:22 |  #56

I think the thing is always to be modest :-) It doesnt matter how good my work is or how much success I have, im still an oridinary bloke and doesnt make me a better person or a better contributor to society than someone else. I hate snobs. People do very much get jelous. I had two emails from this forum from random people bagging me out. One of them commented that his 4 year old takes better photos. Thats fine, everyone else is entitled to their own opinion and if its someone just being nasty, I have very much learned the "art" of switching off :-) With success comes jelousy. Its a sad part of life.

Cheers, Jason Cole

toddb
792 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 05, 2007 02:52 |  #57

Hey, what are you saying, my 4 year old does take pretty good photos, lol. Your are defiantly the cream of the crop in my book and I defiantly appreciate all your contributions to this forum. Thanks for continuing to inspire a fellow engineer and maybe if I play my cards right an ex-engineer, lol.

You asked about Raw images and advantages, one thing to consider is that the Raw converters are getting better all the time. The one in PhotoShop CS3 has allot of improvements which is one of my top reasons I started shooting raw a few years back. With LightRoom about to release, that might not be that much of an issue anymore. I admit thought I rely on the flexibility a little too much and I am working on getting the image right the first time all the time like the way you seem to always do.

Keep up the great work Jason and if you ever need an assistant when you come into the Seattle area, let me know because I'd work for you for free (for as long as my wife would let me, lol).

10D, EF17-40L, EF50F1.4, EF28-135IS, 550EX [AlienBees 2xB800 and 1xB400 with large softbox and reversible umbrella] Sekonic L-358

Jason ­ Cole
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 05, 2007 04:55 |  #58

Thanks Todd :-) I would pay you. I dont ever let anyone work for me for free. I just dont do it. But next time im over your way... We have a couple of overseas jobs later this year (possibly) so i might be getting over your way soon anyways :-)

Cheers, Jason Cole

deezeljuice
139 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 05, 2007 08:45 as a reply to  @ Jason Cole's post |  #59

Hmmm. I see a trend here. I'm an engineer too. I'm going to walk down the hall right now and tell my boss to take this job and shove it... Well. on second thought, I may wait till Monday... :) For me and those who frequent this forum, photography is very easy to get passionate about. But as Jason said earlier, it's about 30% taking photos and 70% marketing and PR. If it were the other way around, I would be telling my boss to stick it today. But after more than thirty years, engineering has been very good to me. I'm going to put up with it for six or eight more then I'll start my photography business. And if I'm not as successful as Jason it won't matter, because at least I'll be having the time of my life.
I do appreciate you sharing your story and your work with us Jason.

C. Lewis
http://home.comcast.ne​t/~cclewis76/site/ (external link)

toddb
792 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 05, 2007 10:21 |  #60

Jason Cole wrote in post #2492223 (external link)
Thanks Todd :-) I would pay you. I dont ever let anyone work for me for free. I just dont do it. But next time im over your way... We have a couple of overseas jobs later this year (possibly) so i might be getting over your way soon anyways :-)

Hold on a second...are you saying you can be paid for this kind of work? This will be great once my job is outsourced. It would be fun to see what a real shoot would be like. Based on your story it sounds like that is a really good way to test the waters.

10D, EF17-40L, EF50F1.4, EF28-135IS, 550EX [AlienBees 2xB800 and 1xB400 with large softbox and reversible umbrella] Sekonic L-358

35,937 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jason Cole - You asked for it ...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.