Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Dec 2006 (Tuesday) 03:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Maintaining print ratios. pls help

MikeMcL
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 12, 2006 03:35 |  #1

Here is my problem, im just going to use a random example.

I have a 5x7 print that I have prepared after cropping to 5x7, doing PP on it and all that.

I then apply "Mike's Framer CS2" to it to get an awesome looking frame around it... but it no longer fits the ratio to print on a 5x7...

Now, I know the hard ways to make this work, like counting pixels, and calculating what the framer is going to add... but i wonder if there is an easy fast way to maintain proportions, or at least a formula to plan for the proportions. Is there someting in the framer to supress ratio? is there a frame that might turn an 8x10 crop into a 5x7 crop or anything like that?

I can do it manually by just adjusting canvas size, and adding a manual border (adding 1.4 to one dimension and 1.0 to the other dimension) but this makes the manual frame fatter on one dimension than the other.

Sorry for the long post, TY in advance for the help.

350d, 5d, 28-70L, 70-200L, 430EX,
50 1.8, 85 1.8 - full alienbees studio set.

MikeMcLane.comexternal link

grego
Cream of the Crop
8,819 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 12, 2006 04:02 |  #2

With the crop tool, at the top you can set the size in terms of inches, pixels, etc.

Go UCLA (external link)!! |Gear|http://gregburmann.com (external link)SportsShooter (external link)|Flickr (external link)|

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Dec 12, 2006 05:10 |  #3

I would think that it's going to be a manual process. Pick a random crop, and add the frame. Zoom in and measure how many pixels the frame is adding to the shot. Subtract that from 5x7 and use the Marquee Tool set to the resulting particular pixel size. Now crop and add the frame to get to 5x7.

Assuming you're printing at 300 DPI, a 5x7 is 1500x2100. Let's say the frame script adds an 80-pixel wide frame (enabling Rulers can help, or the Measure tool), so that's 160 pixels for both sides. Set the Marquee Tool to crop 1340x1940, which is 1500x2100 minus 160 on both side. Crop a shot to 1340x1940, add the frame, and you'll have a perfect 5x7 @ 300 DPI. And don't worry if you're off by a few pixels.

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

mickle
824 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 12, 2006 06:51 |  #4

When I wrote the script it was intended mainly for images for the web, so keeping the aspect ratio correct when including a frame wasn't a priority. Obviously the actual picture keeps its correct aspect ratio all the time.

If you want to add a frame/matte to you pictue for printing, you need to crop your picture before running the framer. Also remember to untick the resize option in the framer.

As an example, if you want the final image to be 3000 x 2000 pixels (3 x 2 ratio) and you have the matte width in framer set to 100:

Crop the picture width to the final width minus twice the matte size.
3000 - (2 x 100) = 2800

If you have "Evenly matte all sides" ticked then crop the height to the final height minus twice the matte size.
2000 - (2 x 100) = 1800

If you have "Bottom x2" ticked then crop the height to the final height minus three times the matte size.
2000 - (3 x 100) = 1700

If you have "Bottom x3" ticked then crop the height to the final height minus four times the matte size.
2000 - (4 x 100) = 1600

If you add a frame as well then you need to take twice the frame width off of both the width and height when you crop.

Sounds more complicated than it actually is, honest........

Mike

Visit Mikes Scripts & Actions (external link) for:

Photoshop framing scripts for CS & CS2 & CS3

Framing Script for Photoshop 7 & CS
Dynamic Velvia script for CS & CS2
Framer Action Set for PS7
Framer Action Set for PS Elements
Mikes Framer thread

MikeMcL
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 12, 2006 07:41 |  #5

Thanks for the tips. I knew I could make it happen, I just wondered if there was an easier way. By guessing, it is always just a tad off.

The good thing is, i only have to figure it up once for each aspect ratio, then i can save all the settings for when i want to knock out a bunch of 5x7s (or whaterver size) Thanks!

350d, 5d, 28-70L, 70-200L, 430EX,
50 1.8, 85 1.8 - full alienbees studio set.

MikeMcLane.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,158 views & 0 likes for this thread
Maintaining print ratios. pls help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.