Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Feb 2004 (Sunday) 16:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

L glass ? What is that then ?

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 06, 2011 09:18 as a reply to  @ post 12712596 |  #16

I didn't even own a camera when this thread was started! :lol:

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

sponsored links
Inspeqtor
saying the wrong thing at the wrong time
10,932 posts
Gallery: 133 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 06, 2011 09:36 as a reply to  @ yourdoinitwrong's post |  #17

In the last hour this thread has more than doubled what it was 7 years ago!

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

w00tabulous!
199 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 06, 2011 09:47 |  #18

Here's a shuffle; can you dig it, fool :)

flickr (external link) | w00tabulous! photography (external link) | facebook page (external link)

RandyS
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 06, 2011 12:07 |  #19

ktownhero wrote in post #12712596 (external link)
With a BMW, you're more likely to actually use the warranty :lol: Of course, Hondas have no pep and sound like farts. I split the difference and go VW :)

Oh wait, what were we talking about again?

Of course you are.

The BMW warranty covers pretty much everything that wears out on all cars (oil changes, bulbs, brake pads, etc).

As for lenses ... if you like a lens and it doesn't say "L" on it ... so what? Shoot with it, don't look at it.

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 06, 2011 12:53 as a reply to  @ RandyS's post |  #20

Like the OP, I get excited about how certain lenses perform, not necessarily what color they are, or what letters are in the model number. My 17-55/2.8 is a good example; I could have easily had something with a red ring and "L" on it for the same price, and was indeed considering the 24-105, but it would have been as good a choice for my exact needs.

Usually though, you can't go wrong with the L, especially in longer focal lengths. Canon has a reputation for making optically decent wide and standard zooms (nifty fifty, 18-55 IS, etc), but piss-poor consumer zooms in the longer lengths. My 100-300mm USM was the worst lens I've ever used on any camera, owned or rented, and it's the reason all my teles have been L's since.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 06, 2011 13:00 |  #21

vitacura wrote in post #12712593 (external link)
Wow.. a seven year old thread revived!

And here I was just about to clean up some of my subscriptions on old, dormant threads. I guess you never know when one will come back to life. (I wasn't subscribed to this one, though.) ;)

Gear List

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 06, 2011 13:32 |  #22

yourdoinitwrong wrote in post #12712651 (external link)

Me too not even a P/S.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

xanavi
174 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 06, 2011 13:41 |  #23

90% of my lens are all L. I do say that L or non-L, does not make a difference. It is the skills within one photographer.

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,532 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 06, 2011 13:53 |  #24

a seven year old discussion continues ad nauseam...
HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 543258 does not exist. ]

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

The ­ Warlock
505 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 06, 2011 17:00 as a reply to  @ joayne's post |  #25

I dont think my L lenses count in this discussion, they werent made at the point this thread started,lol, if they had been ,the OP would have thought different:cool:

Canon 60D, Canon 1100D , 17-40 4L , 24mm 1.4L II,Zeiss Distagon T*2/35 ZE,50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 IS L, 50mm 1.8II, 18-55 III, 430 exII,TT Retrospective 20, Lightroom 4.
Set a pen to a dream, and the colour drains from it.
R.H. Barlow and H.P. Lovecraft
"The Night Ocean"

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 06, 2011 17:22 |  #26

lol wow... when this thread started i was still in college...

anyways, i have more lenses than i can use, and none of them are L. i'm very big on value, and L lenses are simply too expensive for my taste. although there are L lenses that i like, and it will be nice to have AF on my native canon mount, other alternative lenses are 20% the price of an equivilant L lens!

i'm thinking about consolidating my lens somewhat and go for a 135 f2... but i got the zeiss sonnar for 10% the price of the canon L, and it's an excellent performer!

Flickr (external link)

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 06, 2011 19:34 |  #27

The Warlock wrote in post #12715212 (external link)
I dont think my L lenses count in this discussion, they werent made at the point this thread started,lol, if they had been ,the OP would have thought different:cool:

Agree, there is no 70-200 f/4.0L IS and f/2.8L IS II. :D

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 07, 2011 13:11 |  #28

I have yet to meet a woodworker who didn't prefer sharp tools. You can put a sharp edge on any tool but some tools hold that edge longer (and for this you may choose to exchange some of your kids' inheritance.) Some tools fit the hand better, some are simply nicer to use. Some are simply primitive but owning them gives the woodworker a sense of wonder at the hands that once crafted something magical with nothing more complex....

I have no doubt that _in_the_right_hands_ superb images can result from modest equipment. Photography is as much an art as it is a craft - but there is craft too and I don't have the right hands. Nice glass - whichever label it carries - does bring with it a sense of "If the image is poor, there's no doubt that I need to work harder." So I will shoot blah images but I will look at what others are achieving with the same gear. I'll think about what they've done and next time my images may be a little better.

...and even if my images don't get better, I am _trying_damn_hard_ to improve. This grows me as a person. I'm happy to be nudged along by some fine optics.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 07, 2011 13:51 |  #29

yourdoinitwrong wrote in post #12712651 (external link)

neither did I :D
Though I bought my first camera about 5 months later :D

E.D. Sterns wrote in post #152450 (external link)
Obviously there's nothing wrong with your approach to buying photo gear. It's like anything else. A Honda will get you to the store just the same as a BMW, but which would you rather have if you could have either one?

Some people do get excited about fancy glass. Everyone has something they lust after. For some it's cars, for some it's optics. Different strokes.

I think it's wrong to compare photography equipment to cars simply because they are more like tools to create something rather than some object you want to show off :p

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

lonescout
155 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 07, 2011 15:22 as a reply to  @ FuturamaJSP's post |  #30

Now I have L lenses I can no longer blame my kit.

I just have to face the reality that I am a rubbish photographer..........​.....:(

Gear still the same. Wife drops in now and again though :cool:.

sponsored links

6,214 views & 0 likes for this thread
L glass ? What is that then ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.