Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Feb 2004 (Sunday) 16:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

L glass ? What is that then ?

The ­ Warlock
505 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 07, 2011 16:52 |  #31

lonescout wrote in post #12720574 (external link)
Now I have L lenses I can no longer blame my kit.

I just have to face the reality that I am a rubbish photographer..........​.....:(

Lol, agreed, cant hide behind a "bad" lense and put blame on it anymore. I like having good gear and then learn how to use it, than having crap gear and only learn it's limits.

Canon 60D, Canon 1100D , 17-40 4L , 24mm 1.4L II,Zeiss Distagon T*2/35 ZE,50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 IS L, 50mm 1.8II, 18-55 III, 430 exII,TT Retrospective 20, Lightroom 4.
Set a pen to a dream, and the colour drains from it.
R.H. Barlow and H.P. Lovecraft
"The Night Ocean"

sponsored links
Rayk
Goldmember
1,858 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 07, 2011 16:57 |  #32

What about image quality????

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- CPAGB - HON CPE - ACA - Adobe Certified Associate
www.rakphotographic.co​m (external link)
Follow me on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link)

The ­ Outlaw
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 07, 2011 16:57 |  #33

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #152546 (external link)
I concur Ian.. in fact;

Lenses I have used that were optically as good as any others.. (including L)

EF 50mm f/1.8
EF 85mm f/1.8
EF 135mm f/2.8
EX 70-200mm f/2.8
EX 50-500mm
EX 500mm f/4.5

...and I know I'll find more as time goes by...

7 years have gone by... what do you have to add lol :D

Nothing to see here....

jwicaksana
456 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 09, 2011 04:24 |  #34

JohnB57 wrote in post #12712350 (external link)
Who's been digging in the archive..?

Kevin - you were a lad of ten when this thread started!

Quite a digger he is. LOL

Cheers! :D
Jonathan's Gear List and flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,124 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 18, 2011 09:52 |  #35

The Outlaw wrote in post #12721135 (external link)
7 years have gone by... what do you have to add lol :D

Scratch the 50 1.8 off that list, and I'm still happy.
But I'm not saying WHICH "L" they compare well with !!! ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 18, 2011 11:34 |  #36

iwatkins wrote in post #152380 (external link)
Sorry :twisted:

Lot of threads running on this at the moment.

However, I just can't get excited about fancy glass. I couldn't give a monkeys what colour a lens is, what colour the little ring is or even what maker's name is printed on it. I care even less if it has the letter L stamped on it somewhere.

I will buy a lens purely based on whether it meets my particular requirements. I will weigh up the costs/features/benefit​s offered by several makers offerings and then decide based on that. It is a tool, just like the body.

Of the six lenses I have bought in the past 1.5 years, using these simple rules, only one of them is a Canon lens and that isn't stamped with the letter "L".

I still produce good pictures and I still enjoy myself. Hey, and I still have savings in the bank I can use for other things.

Am I wrong ?

Cheers

Ian

(DISCLAIMER - If you are a Pro and you do need to produce the absolute best quality you can to earn money to put food on the table, then I fully understand the reasons to go for L glass. In addition, if you are not a Pro but have loads of cash (or don't mind starving), then by all means, buy L, it is your money).

Someone has some unresolved inferiority complexes to get over.

L costs more cuz it does more... you pay for the privilege to do more. You pay professional prices to get professional equipment.

The same goes @ Home Depot, same goes @ Car dealerships, same goes @ Watch dealers. You pay more to get more. The question is, is the "more" worth it to your pocket. Some of us have deeper pockets, some of us just want the best and are willing to save our pennies for it, and some of us make money with our equipment and must rely on it and are willing to pay for that reliability.

But to make such a loud statement that says nothing is kinda childish.

Lastly, but not least, there is a MAJOR difference between the money invested into bodies and lenses... because Lens prices always go up (especially on the higher-end gear), while bodies are like cars and lose value the minute you buy em, and decline precipitously from month-to-month and year-to-year.

And mind you, this is coming from a guy who only owns 2 L's out of an arsenal of over 30 lenses. And I don't make money from my photography.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 18, 2011 11:39 |  #37

KVN Photo wrote in post #12712315 (external link)
bw!

He's a witch! Burn the thread necromancer at the stake!

My Gearlist

Foreboding
243 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 18, 2011 12:01 |  #38

lonescout wrote in post #12720574 (external link)
Now I have L lenses I can no longer blame my kit.

I just have to face the reality that I am a rubbish photographer..........​.....:(

LOL - good on ya mate!

My fLiCkr (external link)
5dmii, 5dmiii & 24-70L f/2.8 II ~ 70-200L f2.8 ~ 16-35L f/2.8L ~ 50L f/1.2 ~ Canon Speedlite 580EX II

PHughes
392 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 18, 2011 12:04 |  #39

iwatkins wrote in post #152380 (external link)
Sorry :twisted:

Lot of threads running on this at the moment.

However, I just can't get excited about fancy glass. I couldn't give a monkeys what colour a lens is, what colour the little ring is or even what maker's name is printed on it. I care even less if it has the letter L stamped on it somewhere.

I will buy a lens purely based on whether it meets my particular requirements. I will weigh up the costs/features/benefit​s offered by several makers offerings and then decide based on that. It is a tool, just like the body.

Of the six lenses I have bought in the past 1.5 years, using these simple rules, only one of them is a Canon lens and that isn't stamped with the letter "L".

I still produce good pictures and I still enjoy myself. Hey, and I still have savings in the bank I can use for other things.

Am I wrong ?

Cheers

Ian

(DISCLAIMER - If you are a Pro and you do need to produce the absolute best quality you can to earn money to put food on the table, then I fully understand the reasons to go for L glass. In addition, if you are not a Pro but have loads of cash (or don't mind starving), then by all means, buy L, it is your money).

No you aren't wrong, but good glass will improve the quality of big enlargements more than a new body. There are good lenses that are L lenses and good ones that are not. You see a difference in good glass if you do large prints though. All that said, you have to have the skills to produce good images and the glass won't help that. You can take "wow" images with just about any camera, but there is an advantage to quality lenses.

I have a 70-200 f/4 L IS, but I have taken many very good images with my 18-55 II kit lens I got with my old 350D. I have the model that came just before the IS version. The images from the 70-200 though are noticeably better though in terms of contrast, color and overall sharpness though.

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 18, 2011 12:16 as a reply to  @ Foreboding's post |  #40

I buy the new M glass. It's a level above L.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 18, 2011 12:17 |  #41

AbPho wrote in post #12779317 (external link)
I buy the new M glass. It's a level above L.

It's a level below. You want the K-glass.

My Gearlist

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 18, 2011 12:18 |  #42

Darn. I thought the salesman was a little shady.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

genjurok
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 18, 2011 12:23 |  #43

I love the 28-75 tamron much more than the 24-70L simply because the IQ is similar to my eyes, however the weight of 24-70L alone is a huge turn off.

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

bahnhof
87 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 18, 2011 13:43 |  #44

when I was a kid, I liked playing ping pong. first with paddles provided by school. on my way going to school and back from school, i used to stop by a department store and stare over the counter window at the "double happiness" bat which costed 5 yuan (my dad earned 55 yuan a month at the time). it was my dream paddle. I finally got the bat and was extremely happy with it. In my high school and college days, I got to know that professional ping pong players always used custome-made rubber with custom-made glue on custom-made blade. so I searched for and played with different rubber on different blade till I found a combination that goes with my feel. I was well aware that a good player would beat me with any paddle he could get, even a blade without rubber (yeah, I played with guys from shanghai sports university - i think institute of physical education would be a better translation - who majored in ping pong, and it was a excruciating experience to be beaten whatever you tried). But I still prefer a good paddle that makes me feel happy. I think that's part of the game, and part of the fun.

5D2+Grip | EF 17-40 L, EF 24-70 L, EF 70-200 F4 L IS, EF 50 L, EF 100 L Macro | Zeiss: 2/25 ZE, 2/50 MP, 1,4/85 ZE, 2/135 APO | 430EX II

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 18, 2011 13:51 |  #45

Man, I can't wait for Canon to release the 20D...

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

sponsored links

6,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
L glass ? What is that then ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.