Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jan 2007 (Tuesday) 11:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #101 - Your Favorite Photo from Last Year

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 09, 2007 11:38 |  #1

Challenge #101 - Your Favorite Photo from Last Year - WINNERS

Thank you very much for your submissions.
For most of you if not for all, the theme was not a challenge asking to take a new photo to submit, it was the challenge to find one picture that represent your own likes or dislikes of all the pictures shot during the last year (probably several hundreds).

My initial ambitious plan was to find the possible composition rules applied to the photos and ask your confirmation. As always the time available proved to be too short for the task.

I am still curious about that. It would be interesting to read your comments about the composition rules on your own photo and if that rule or rules were deliberately followed or if it was a valuable intuitive composition instead.

The guidelines I planed to use are here in Two Pilots (external link) and here in Luminous Landscapes (external link)

Judging a topic with no specific theme proved to be harder, at least to me.

I divided this specific group of pictures in three categories for initial ranking and comparison:

• People for friends or close relatives.
    May I includ Jake in this category? :)
  • Landscapes and outdoors
  • Urban for cities and people in the city.

Submisions

Click the names to see the pictures.
  • Don1Night Lights

Beautiful colors and perspective. Amazing quality for a night shot with the G3. As this one was the firs picture posted, I got from it the idea of composition rules comparison as it seems to me that the rules of thirds was carefully accomplished. Am I right?

• rowdyred94The Weight of the World

The weight of the world or a carefully inspection at a wonderful world of dreams. I love his expression. The balance of the light coming from his left and the shadows is subtle, but enough to create volumes in his face.
    A lower point of view would be better, but then the camera may draw his attention. Very well done.

• Bouttytraffic

The blurred images seem to tell the tale of the speed of life in the big cities. I also like how the white lines frame the people inside the image. A minor drawback (for me) is that the lines also draw the attention to the overexposed store in the top. Do you think that a tighter crop in the top will work?

• andrewaaa5...why do birds suddenly appear...

At the beginning I classified this picture as Landscape but after examining the window frame and the lady behind the glass I moved it to People. The blurred parts of the image, a typical style of andrewaaa5, work much better for me in this particular image. The process inside the upper crystals makes me think that she is a very special person for andrewaaa5. I also love the placement of the window corner in the upper corner of the picture. It would be interesting to know how many images were used and a brief description of the process involved.

• gkuenningMmmm mmmm goood!

Interesting expression: pleasure, concentration. The light coming from the upper left and slightly behind him separates the subject from the background. It is difficult to achieve a shallow depth of field with the powershots, so I think this particular setup of distances to the subject and to the background was deliberately arranged. The bright yellow T shirt nicely contrasts with the mild colors.

• KC JewelFly on the 4th

That seems to be a fast moving kite. The steep angle of the camera and the lines of the kite reinforce the idea of fast flying. The sky in the background has the correct exposure as well as the kite. That is a difficult balance (I know that, I also fly and photograph my kites)
    Perhaps some element to link the kite to the ground controller/pilot might add interest to the picture.

• nvidia5700Gettysburg

A beautiful place. The horizon placed low in the picture works because of the elements at right. The shadows are too deep in the black side, but I remember me saying something similar of another of your pictures, so it may be just a matter of different preferences.

• alans220Jake

A lovely dog. Have we seen him in another of your pictures? Yes! In his home if my memory serves me well.

Black and white for a color picture is a real challenge. You got perfect exposure to the whites and beautiful detail in the black hair.

I can see intelligence in that picture, that’s why I placed it within People :), also because there were no more pets submitted. It would be better to see his left ear complete in the picture although my list of top winners will be even more crowded.

• mariecolleen at local festival in winter's chill

Another fantastic candid/portrait from marie. She is a beautiful girl with wonderful eyes and marie puts his Pro1 to its best. Perfect exposure for the face, the eyes and those brightly colored hairs. The color from the hairs blends with the face but just in the right amount and every detail is awfully sharp. At 1/50sec. f3.2 some blur and a really shallow depth of field would be expected.

• saraLone gondola man

You surprised me. I use to think of Venice as full color, but black and white worked quite well. The vertical format better describes the narrow spaces and buildings and the almost vertical hat hiding the face of the ‘gondoliero’ makes it a special picture.
    I’m thinking in color again. How about a selective color just for the hat and the red band on it? The typical T shirt is back and white anyway :)

• gewbSpiritual Reflection

Beautiful colors and concept. The water level almost in the middle enhances the idea of mirror reflection, and the absolute still water makes the reflection somewhat unreal. There are almost no shadows in the visible side, no clouds in the sky, definitely, a Spiritual Reflection.

• richardbruceCalligrapher & Birdman in Nanjing, China July 2006

An interesting subject with an attitude difficult to find in our western cultures I think. I like a lot the lighting in his face, the neutral, almost gray background and the white clothes framing his face and hand that become the most colored areas in the picture. The tiny bird almost hidden is there just to justify the ma’s gesture.

I think the top crop is too tight though.

• Maureen SouzaBubble Maker

Nice to see you again in the challenges Maureen. I read that your Pro1 was working hard in Boston.
    Bubbles are always nice subjects with plenty of reflection, but it is not easy to make them photogenic.
    Yours come out really nice enhanced by the colorful bubble maker on one side and the boy paying attention to them on the other. The blurred far objects make a good background. I would like to see another version whit the focus on the boy just to compare.

• Stephen MartinWaterfall

It is a beautiful waterfall. I like the tight crop on the top and the alignment of the diagonal with the foremost waterfall edge. The slightly overall underexposure prevents washed out whites and the comparatively large motion blur smoothes nicely the water surface and the reflections.

Winners

This should be a theme to share the pictures without assigning places at all.
Of course andrewaaa5, marie and Stephen Martin won on his own right, but I was forced to leave aside a group of pictures capable of winning challenges by themselves.

Congratulations, this was a superb collection of pictures. I understand that they are your favorites, but I can also remember pictures of many of you that are as beautiful as these samples.

rafael

Challenge #101 - Your Favorite Photo from Last Year

Absolutely simple: Submit your favorite photo shot from January 1st, 2006 up to date.
Yes. The first days of 2007 are included to allow participation of those who got their cameras as a Christmas gift.

I will do a subjective judgment on the subject, general quality, message involved if any and basic composition rules or the lack of.

Enjoy this little rehearsal for another year of speed challenges.

I wish you a Happy New Year.

P.S.
  • To write the Photo Title in the message subject line as asked by the rules, in the quick reply pane at the bottom of the thread’s page click ‘Go Advanced’ then you have a title box AND an editing box.

• Remember the camera model and picture must be in your post; optionally, a brief relevant EXIF data and no other comments.

• Rule # 2 is slightly altered for this challenge due to the topic:

2. Time -- any photo taken between January 1st 2006 and January 15th 2007 is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

• Read and follow all other rules (see Photo Submissions below)

To submit, click "Post Reply" and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 15th January 2007.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1,G2,G3,G5,G6, G7) or Pro 1 only.
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
  3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 640 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging" (about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
Don1
Cream of the Crop
6,410 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 09, 2007 20:48 |  #2

Night Lights

IMAGE: http://www.ve3xd.com/canon/brampton_23sm.jpg
G3, Aperture priority 5.6, 1 sec, ISO Auto

Don
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon G9, EFS 15-85mm 3.5-5.6, EF 70-200mm F4 L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 II, EF 40mm F2.8, Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM
See my photos on My Flickr (external link)

rowdyred94
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 09, 2007 22:23 |  #3

The Weight of the World

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

G3, f/4.0, 1/100

~ Clint :: Galleries (external link) :: Marketplace Feedback (external link)

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 11, 2007 05:56 as a reply to  @ rowdyred94's post |  #4

traffic

G6 - 1 sec, f/2, ISO: 50

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 11, 2007 06:56 |  #5

...why do birds suddenly appear...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Canon g.3..

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 12, 2007 04:14 |  #6

Mmmm mmmm goood!

Canon G3

IMAGE: http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/friendpix/potn/P2006.07.26-19.36.02-1699-small.jpg

(Note: this image may be unavailable at times on 12 Jan 2007 due to server maintenance. Just keep trying!)

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

KC ­ Jewel
107 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 12, 2007 22:27 |  #7

Fly on the 4th

Canon G6

HOSTED PHOTO

G6, 420EX, Converter W/filters, 2X Xtend-a-view, 45mm red dot speed sight with Photosolve Xtend-a-sight mount.

nvidia5700
24 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 13, 2007 02:18 |  #8

Gettysburg

Canon Powershot G6

HOSTED PHOTO

G. Li

Canon EOS 30D & Canon EOS XSi

Welcome to my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/photozerg/[/U (external link). ;)

alans220
90 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 13, 2007 11:55 as a reply to  @ nvidia5700's post |  #9

G6..

HOSTED PHOTO

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Jan 14, 2007 06:59 as a reply to  @ alans220's post |  #10

colleen at local festival in winter's chill

pro1
1/50 f3

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

sara
109 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 14, 2007 09:20 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #11

Lone gondola man

G6-

HOSTED PHOTO

http://www.sophoto.ca (external link)

gewb
706 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 14, 2007 10:39 |  #12

Spiritual Reflection

Pro1

HOSTED PHOTO

90D / 60D / Pro1 / A85

richardbruce
49 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 14, 2007 13:00 |  #13

Calligrapher & Birdman in Nanjing, China July 2006

Canon G6 - f 3.5 | 1/80th sec. with flash

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 40D, 70-200 f4 ISL, 17-55 f2.8 IS L, Sigma 105 macro, Kenko 1.4 teleconverter, Canon G6, 580EX II, 420ex, Omnibounce, Lensmate Adapter, Panamatic 360º tripod mount, Mac Book Pro 17", iPod Touch 32 Gig

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,255 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 14, 2007 15:07 as a reply to  @ richardbruce's post |  #14

Bubble Maker

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Stephen ­ Martin
186 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 14, 2007 19:59 |  #15

Waterfall

-G6

HOSTED PHOTO

-Stephen
Canon 30D, Canon EFS 10-22, Sigma 17-70 DG Macro, Sigma 70-200 APO Macro, Canon EF 1.8 50mm

sponsored links

9,242 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #101 - Your Favorite Photo from Last Year
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.