Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Jan 2007 (Tuesday) 06:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

quick metering question

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 16, 2007 06:45 |  #1
bannedPermanently

I have to take some action shots tonight at my schools basketball game. I looked through my manual etc but I have a question =) what type of metering would you perfer if any? Evaluative/Partial or uh center-weighted..etc? If you give me an answer could you explain why?

thanks =)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 16, 2007 06:46 |  #2

M since it's consistent. Meter once, set it, concentrate on the action.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,163 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 16, 2007 06:57 |  #3

cdi-ink.com wrote in post #2549352 (external link)
M since it's consistent. Meter once, set it, concentrate on the action.

i AGREE :)
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 16, 2007 06:58 |  #4

Oh and invest in a grey card, set a custom white balance, and save yourself a lot of work in post.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Bill ­ Ng
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 16, 2007 08:40 |  #5

merp wrote in post #2549344 (external link)
I have to take some action shots tonight at my schools basketball game. I looked through my manual etc but I have a question =) what type of metering would you perfer if any? Evaluative/Partial or uh center-weighted..etc? If you give me an answer could you explain why?
thanks =)

Sports photography is tough. I don't mean this offensively, but it sounds like you are fairly new to photography so I'm going to lay this out and word it accordingly.

First off, as other's have mentioned, your best bet for metering a sports game is to meter it once, before the game starts, lock that exposure into your camera by setting it in M mode, and leaving it there the entire night. There are too many different luminocities on the court that will fool your camera's internal reflective light meter into picking differnet exposure values for you the entire night.

Take your fastest lens to the game, set the lens wide open (fastest aperture, lowest f/number), find the shutter speed for that aperture and ISO combo, and verify that it's going to be fast enough to stop the action and prevent motion blur. If it's not enough shutter speed, raise ISO until you do have enough shutter speed.

Once you find the correct shutter speed/ISO ... keep it locked in and keep shooting.

Bill

Billy Ng
1 Body
4 Lenses
3 Strobes
Never enough time

Steve-M
210 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 16, 2007 08:50 |  #6

Don't be afraid to try your flash as well. I've been shooting high school sports basketball all season using a flash and have had NO complaints from players or coaches. I will often times set my focus on a particular zone as well and switch my lens to manual focus and wait for the action to come into that zone. Sometimes the autofocus just can't keep up on my 300d with Canon 28-105mm USM 3.5 lens. Hope this helps.

Canon 20d/30d, Canon EF 28-105 II USM 3.5-5.6, Vivitar 283 Flash x 2, Wein Safe-Sync.

merp
THREAD ­ STARTER
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 16, 2007 12:38 |  #7
bannedPermanently

Yep I'm a beginner, and I usually do use M. I took volleyball shots eariler in the year and they came out pretty well but not as good as I wanted. I was reading my manual last night and I was just wondering. Thank you guys for the imput - I am still trying to figure out this whole white balance thing-along with a couple other things.

thanks again

canoflan
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 16, 2007 15:41 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

If the action is moving between different lighting situations, I would use the "almost" spot meter (since the rebel doesn't have spot metering abilities) and set on Av (or aperture priority) set on the widest aperture your lens with go and at ISO 1600. Then ensure you use the center focusing point, not the guessing game of using them all, put that center focus point on the subject and you will at least have your subject exposed well. If the lighting is consistent, I would set to Manual, take some test exposures to ensure the histogram looks good (mostly everything in the middle), with the ISO at 1600 and the aperture at your widest.

You will find experimenting and making mistakes improves your abilities little by little. By the time you have taken around 10,000 shots, you really will know your way around the camera. I know that may seem like a lot, but ask any pro about the time it took for them to get real comfortable with the camera and handling differing situations.

sponsored links

1,241 views & 0 likes for this thread
quick metering question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.