Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Jan 2007 (Saturday) 08:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: PS Tutorial - Resizing Images Using Save For Web

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 31, 2008 16:52 |  #31

NO
Use sRGB.
Have a read in the link from my sig.

sRGB is a standard, your monitor is not.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
booju
Goldmember
2,314 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 13, 2008 17:10 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #32

Scottes...Thanks a bunch for the tutorial it worked like a charm on my first time around...excellent job:)

https://photography-on-the.net …57557&highlight​=canon+G12

cyrillo07
66 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 13, 2008 22:49 as a reply to  @ post 5139203 |  #33

How about Lightroom tutorial for this. Anybody knew?

CaptainPete
41 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 10, 2008 10:35 |  #34

For batch re-sizing for web and e-mail there is a free download from www.faststone.org (external link)
Very fast and simple.

Pete

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 12, 2008 05:45 as a reply to  @ post 3369705 |  #35

Resizing worked like a charm with CS3.

Thank you!!

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 15, 2008 17:06 |  #36

Scotts wrote:
Convert to sRGB
To make sure that the image's color display properly on the web you will want to convert to the sRGB colorspace. (If your working colorspace is already sRGB you can skip this.)

How do you know if you can skip this step or not?

Thanks!

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 15, 2008 20:00 |  #37

In Photoshop:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

makopf
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2008
Location: I live in the US in the Midwest. Our downtown was under at least 30 ft. of flood water this year.

Nov 15, 2008 21:18 |  #38

The information about controling the file size when compressing to a jpeg using 'save for web'! My only problem is that the largest file size it allows is 2 MB and I need to be able to get a 6 MB JPEG for an online submission. Does anyone have any thoughts?

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 16, 2008 07:33 |  #39

"Save as"?

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

hannaxt
367 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 10, 2008 21:40 |  #40

Scottes wrote in post #2955827 (external link)
It saves something like 1.8K, and the ICC info is useless to almost all browsers out there. AFAIK Safari is the only one that makes use of it.

First of, why leave it at 300ppi? and second other than Safari, so does the newest version of Firefox.

Not to put a damper but resizing to 800px W or H and leaving at 300ppi is not what works best for having many pic on a website.
Best resizing to a 72ppi image resolution and then to 800px is a 2 step process for maintaining a high quality fast loading image,
then simply use the "save for web" command.

If need be I will give the step by step, but I can get an excellent image at 72ppi at 800pixels (w or h) and have the same file you show at less than 1MB!!

5DMKII •EF50mm f1.4 •EF85mm f1.8 • EF100mm f/2.8 ISL • EF17-40mm f/4L •EF24-70mm f/2.8L •EF70-200mm f/2.8 ISL

hannaxt
367 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 10, 2008 21:47 |  #41

makopf wrote in post #6694926 (external link)
The information about controling the file size when compressing to a jpeg using 'save for web'! My only problem is that the largest file size it allows is 2 MB and I need to be able to get a 6 MB JPEG for an online submission. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Save as! leave quality at 12 even.

5DMKII •EF50mm f1.4 •EF85mm f1.8 • EF100mm f/2.8 ISL • EF17-40mm f/4L •EF24-70mm f/2.8L •EF70-200mm f/2.8 ISL

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 11, 2008 09:35 |  #42

hannaxt wrote in post #6854917 (external link)
First of, why leave it at 300ppi? and second other than Safari, so does the newest version of Firefox.

Not to put a damper but resizing to 800px W or H and leaving at 300ppi is not what works best for having many pic on a website.
Best resizing to a 72ppi image resolution and then to 800px is a 2 step process for maintaining a high quality fast loading image,
then simply use the "save for web" command.

If need be I will give the step by step, but I can get an excellent image at 72ppi at 800pixels (w or h) and have the same file you show at less than 1MB!!

Firefox assumes sRGB if no profile is attached. So an untagged sRGB image will look good.
Safari assumes monitor profile if an image is untaged. So *any* untagged image will look off.

dpi is *100% irrelevant* for screen display. 3, 72, 96, 300 or 30,000 won't make a lick of difference for web.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

hannaxt
367 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 11, 2008 09:51 |  #43

René Damkot wrote in post #6857349 (external link)
Firefox assumes sRGB if no profile is attached. So an untagged sRGB image will look good.
Safari assumes monitor profile if an image is untaged. So *any* untagged image will look off.

dpi is *100% irrelevant* for screen display. 3, 72, 96, 300 or 30,000 won't make a lick of difference for web.

I never said it was relevant other than if i wanted a web image at any size , resizing it at 300ppi would not be appropriate for file size management in general.
If you understand how Photoshop best resizes you'd know this,
but thanks anyway.

Also Firefox has to have it's color-management engine enabled (it's off).
And your mention of any image being "untagged" will look off I agree, I am all for icc profiles. From a selfish point of view I can't think of browsers that can't handle icc.
BUT if you use FF on Mac or Windows you need to enable color management via the config:filters

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 11, 2008 12:41 |  #44

hannaxt wrote in post #6857442 (external link)
I never said it was relevant other than if i wanted a web image at any size , resizing it at 300ppi would not be appropriate for file size management in general.
If you understand how Photoshop best resizes you'd know this

Might be I misunderstand what you are saying here, but I don't quite follow...

If I resize an image to 800px * 533px, it won't matter what DPI I set. a 300 dpi image will look, upload, and be identical in all other aspects on a web page as a 72 dpi image.

So, either I don't understand how Photoshop best resizes, or we don't understand each other... (I'd suspect the latter)

I know about CM being *off* by default in FF3, but since you were saying:

and second other than Safari, so does the newest version of Firefox.

I felt it safe to assume we were talking about FF3 with colormanagement enabled :rolleyes:

Also, just to make sure there are no misunderstandings, an untagged sRGB image will look good in FF3 (with CM enabled), since FF3 assumes sRGB if no profile is embedded.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Brensunrose
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 15, 2008 15:32 |  #45

You can use a light box html that enlarges it on the same page. It is great

sponsored links

133,103 views & 1 like for this thread
PS Tutorial - Resizing Images Using Save For Web
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.