Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Jan 2007 (Wednesday) 08:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Radio Slaves" Pocket Wizard or Micro-Sync

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 24, 2007 08:12 |  #1

Tired of being leashed to the lights. I know that Pocket Wizard has been around for awhile, and has set the standard for slaves. Micro-Sync, I believe by Tamron, could also be a choice. At around the same price, any pros and cons on both products would be of much help. Thanks

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 24, 2007 08:19 |  #2

I believe the Micro-Sync is made by Tamrac, not Tamron. I haven't used one but I do know someone that owns it and from the discussions I've seen here they have limited range and are not 100% reliable, especially outdoors. There are lesser expensive ebay units, Impact has a system, Alien Bees has a wireless set up. There have been various reviews and many of them work quite well.
If you have the cash to drop then the Pocket Wizrds are great and have been proven reliable. If you have strobes with optical slave triggers then you can get things going with 2 Pocket Wizards (one for the camera and one for the first strobe) and that will enable you to fire all your strobes wirelessly.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Kostyanych
449 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 24, 2007 10:36 |  #3

Another advantage of Pocket Wizards is some Sekonic lightmeters can trigger PW with a radio module.

Canon 7D | EF-S 10-22 F/3.5-4.5 | EF 24-105 mm F/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 F/2.8L IS USM | EF 50 mm F/1.4 USM | EF 85 mm F/1.8 USM | 580EX II| TC-80N3 | Gitzo G2220 tripod | Manfrotto 329RC4 head | Dynatran AT-CF992 tripod | Newton Bracket Di100FR2 | 2 x POTN Op-Tech Strap | 4 x Hensel Integra 500 Pro | 2 x PW Plus II | Sekonic L-758D | Dynatran AS-014-2

sboerup
841 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 24, 2007 10:48 |  #4

Microsync's max sync speed is 1/180s. They also run off proprietary batteries. If I had not bought into PocketWizard already, I'd have a long hard look at Elinchrom's Skyport (the universal ones). Supposed to be awesome, and they are much cheaper.

Microsync is also the same price as PW, so the no brainer to me is PW. Might end up selling the PWs for the Skyport as they are smaller, and $100 cheaper for a set. That's a pretty big difference. But Kosty has the point. My L358 Sekonic meter will run the PWs seamlessly, that's a big bonus.

Cap'n ­ Keel
23 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 24, 2007 12:26 as a reply to  @ sboerup's post |  #5

Saw a prior post on cheaper Ebay units. I took that posters advice and bought one each of these for each light- http://cgi.ebay.com …ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcm​dZViewItem (external link) Been working pretty darn good for a month now (drop tested even.) Not plugging this specific brand, but works great with my ABs. I plug one of the transmitters into my Sekonic light meter and let it dangle. Works fine. Price is best part.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Radio Slaves" Pocket Wizard or Micro-Sync
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.