Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jan 2007 (Monday) 01:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

30D now or later?

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 29, 2007 01:51 |  #1

Not sure if this belongs in the right section, but what do you guys think:

Should I get the 30D now while the rebates are in effect (I would be getting double rebate) or should I wait till the 40D comes out and 30D prices drop? which do you think would be the better deal?

~Verent

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 29, 2007 01:58 |  #2

The 40D MIGHT come out this March.. remember those who truly know about the 40D won't tell you and those who tell you don't know.

The other factor is whether you want to pay full MSRP for the 40D or a discounted price for a 30D. I got a 30D at a good price so I bought one now, opting to forego the upcoming 40D.. it's only a second body anyway.

My guess is that the 40D will at least launch at the same price as the old 20D did.. $1499 or thereabouts. New is great.. but do expect to pay a premium at launch time or wait yet longer for the price to fall. Same with everything, 5D, 70-200 f/4L IS, 17-55/2.8 IS.. lots of other products came down in price but that was at least a few if not many months after launch.

Vermin87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 29, 2007 02:00 |  #3

I would think when the 40D comes out, rebates will no longer be offered on the 30D (like the 20D now) and so do you think the 30D will drop more than $200 when the 40D comes out, or will it be better to get the $200 off from rebates now?

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

Broncobear
Goldmember
2,415 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 29, 2007 02:02 |  #4

I bought mine after the price drop just post Christmas, no regrets and there won't be any after the 40D comes out either.

I bought the XT 2 months before the xti came out , not only did I avoid regret I actually preferred the Xt. might be the same thing with the 30 I think.

There is much more to a camera then MP's...Mp's means you need bigger Cf cards to hold the same number of pictures.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." " (external link)Marcel Proust (external link)

Gear& Frank's Flickr (external link)

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 29, 2007 02:03 |  #5

Vermin87 wrote in post #2617897 (external link)
I would think when the 40D comes out, rebates will no longer be offered on the 30D (like the 20D now) and so do you think the 30D will drop more than $200 when the 40D comes out, or will it be better to get the $200 off from rebates now?

Money today is always better than money tomorrow. That having been said I don't trust rebates.

Vermin87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 29, 2007 02:06 |  #6

I might not have been making myself very clear in the first post, but just making sure, I want the 30D, i just want to know if now or later is the best time to buy it. Thanks for the advice so far, Lightstream and Broncobear

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

EORI
821 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 29, 2007 03:13 as a reply to  @ Vermin87's post |  #7

Consider that the 20D apparently is still available new from Beach Camera for $900. Before they were discontinued, I recall they sold for between $1,500 at intro, eventually to $1,200 by the time the 30D debuted.

The 30D originally sold for $1,450, can now be bought for about $1,050 after rebate ($100 unless you're buying something else to get double rebate). Will the 30D be available new for $950 or less when the 40D debuts? It's quite possible, but don't you want to take pictures now?

I bought the 5D and 24-105L for $3,800 almost a year ago, before the current double rebate of $600 off, or $3k for the set. It'll probably sell for even less in another year. Do I have regrets? No, because I was able to take my new camera-lens combo to document a once-in-a-lifetime family vacation. But that's just me.

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 29, 2007 05:22 |  #8

Personally I can afford to wait and see what is or is not released next time but if you need a camera the coming few months the 30D is arguably the best value existing right now, especially with the current rebates.

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2007 05:42 |  #9

Wait for sure .. the 30D is almost certainly going to be upgraded and the announcement will come within a month (at the PMA). The existing stock of 30D's will be discounted in price ... how much will depend on the new 40D features (10mp, better AF, sensor cleaning) but they will certainly drop in price.

If PMA was a year away I'd say go ahead and buy now, but the wait is very short.
Mike

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,164 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 29, 2007 05:56 |  #10

Waite - just in case something good comes out .
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 29, 2007 13:56 |  #11

I don't see the 30D price dropping $200 when/if Canon releases a successor. At least not for several months after the new model actually ships. Plus you'll double the rebate on whatever else you get, too. So the 30D would have to drop somewhere between $210-$250 for waiting to pay off.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Broncobear
Goldmember
2,415 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 29, 2007 14:04 |  #12

Jon wrote in post #2620635 (external link)
I don't see the 30D price dropping $200 when/if Canon releases a successor. At least not for several months after the new model actually ships. Plus you'll double the rebate on whatever else you get, too. So the 30D would have to drop somewhere between $210-$250 for waiting to pay off.

This was my reasoning to get it now. I'm glad I did

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." " (external link)Marcel Proust (external link)

Gear& Frank's Flickr (external link)

Grey56
158 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 29, 2007 14:38 as a reply to  @ Broncobear's post |  #13

I've been wondering this very same thing. I have a coupon for Dell that expires 1/31/07 that would bring the price of the 30D to $850 AR ($200, since I already bought some lenses). I don't know if that's good enough??

It would be a second body, so it's not like I am missing out on any shots these days.

I would shoot myself in the foot if it's cheaper once this 40D comes out.

Jennifer

Jennifer
www.karindailey.com (external link)

10D, backup 10D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 18-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, 50/1.4, 100/2, 70-200/2.8IS, 430EX

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jan 29, 2007 15:04 |  #14

Verent, what camera do you have now?

If you have a camera and the 30D will solve a problem you can't with your current camera, the 30D might be the answer so you might as well buy it.

If you have a camera, think a 40D will be released shortly and can live with your current camera until then, why not wait and see what comes out. If the new camera has features you need and the price is right you can get it. If not you should still be able to find a a deal on the 30D when it is discontinued. All you are risking is that the deal won't be as good as the current discount.

If you don't have a camera and want to take pictures, the 30D is a good one.

Only you can know why you need a new camera, what features you need and how much you are willing to pay. Only Canon knows when a new model will be released, what features it will have and how much it will sell. Canon won't talk because they don't want to hurt sales for their dealers who hold inventories of the current model.

afletch
26 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 29, 2007 15:04 |  #15

You can wait to see what is released, or buy now and start enjoying your purchase. There will always be newer models. Become an expert with your 30D, then you can get the 50D...or whatever Canon releases!

sponsored links

2,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
30D now or later?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.