Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Jan 2007 (Monday) 17:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Auto Focus "Vibration"

Detrimental
303 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 29, 2007 17:01 |  #1

Please excuse me if this is not the correct place for this. Today while at the beach when I tried to autofocus on this building the lens started vibrating very quickly, I guess shifting very rapidly between to different focus settings. It did this when the focal point was over the rails. I found this very odd as it has never done something like that before. Is it safe to assume it was just the slight camera shake combined with the autofocus system switching back and forth betweent he rail and the area behind it?

It would not even have made me wonder had it not been for the very fast and intense shaking or vibration that occured when this focus ihit this point. It would not settle on either focus point and would shift as long as I was holding the focus button while aimed at the railing. I thought my IS had just started to malfunction until I moved the focus away from the rails and it locked perfectly.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

What do you think?

5D Mark II w/grip
85L f/1.2 II

sponsored links
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jan 29, 2007 17:05 |  #2

Sounds odd to me. Was it repeatable? I mean it sounds like rapid focus hunting, but there should have been enough contrast in the rails to allow it to lock on. Did you try it on anything else with a vertical pattern like that?

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

Detrimental
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 29, 2007 17:08 |  #3

It was repeatable on that particular building and rails at the time, I did it like 3 times each break to focus on a part besides the rail to see if it would lock focus (which it did). I did not do any more testing than the few moments wondering what was going on and getting the focus to lock a few times and seeing how the rails caused issues..

5D Mark II w/grip
85L f/1.2 II

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 29, 2007 17:10 |  #4

all those lines may have confused the AF system.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Jan 29, 2007 17:12 |  #5

Detrimental wrote in post #2621652 (external link)
It was repeatable on that particular building and rails at the time, I did it like 3 times each break to focus on a part besides the rail to see if it would lock focus (which it did). I did not do any more testing than the few moments wondering what was going on and getting the focus to lock a few times and seeing how the rails caused issues..

Were you using a single focus point, or were all focus points enabled? If the latter, I suspect the camera couldn't decide which focus point plane to use.

Mark

Mark
-----

Detrimental
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 29, 2007 17:26 |  #6

I may actually have been in AF Servo from previous shots which makes more sense as to why the camera would have such a hard time picking one focus point and could get confused. I am actually pretty certain that was the problem now. Still it was a really weird activity that surprised me.

5D Mark II w/grip
85L f/1.2 II

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Jan 29, 2007 17:40 |  #7

Detrimental wrote in post #2621738 (external link)
I may actually have been in AF Servo from previous shots which makes more sense as to why the camera would have such a hard time picking one focus point and could get confused. I am actually pretty certain that was the problem now. Still it was a really weird activity that surprised me.

That would make a lot of sense.

Mark

Mark
-----

sponsored links

1,674 views & 0 likes for this thread
Auto Focus "Vibration"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.