Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Feb 2007 (Sunday) 23:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help: B+W CPL stuck to UV filter

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 04, 2007 23:08 |  #1

So we were out shooting whales and dophins and it was too gusty to take off the UV filter so I mounted the CPL on top of it. Now it just seem stuck to it. Wont come off no matter what I do. The UV+CPL came off the lens but they are just not separting.

Any suggestions?

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

sponsored links
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,592 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 04, 2007 23:13 |  #2

You can get a pretty good grip if you use a pair of latex gloves. Also, make sure you don't squeeze the ring of the filter since it will deform enough to make it seize.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,787 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Feb 04, 2007 23:15 |  #3

Have you tried using jar openers (those circles of rubbers) to grip each filter and provide steady pressure to release them. Latex or rubber gloves may work as well - just be careful to grip the filters equally around the circumference as not to deform the circle.

A trick I've used in the path is to run hot water over the inner filter (the UV in this case). That will cause some expansion of the metal ring and may loosen the filters enough to release them. However, in this case, I wouldn't recommend this since the circular polarizer is comprised of two rotating assemblies and you can get water trapped between the assemblies. A hair dryer might work though.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Twitter (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

gjman
THREAD ­ STARTER
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 04, 2007 23:20 |  #4

Yep I tried the jar opener (rubber circles) first and I have sore fingers and palms from wrestling with it. I was thinking about running hot water on the UV side....whats the worst that could happen the CPL screeches while it turns, I can live with that. No way in hell am I gonna shell out another $240 for 77mm B+W.

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 04, 2007 23:26 |  #5

Put them back on the lens. Hold the inner filter and lens securely in your fingers of one hand. With the other hand, turn the outer filter. Should come right off with just a little effort.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

gjman
THREAD ­ STARTER
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 04, 2007 23:36 |  #6

No luck with running hot water over UV surface (for 5 mins) Or reattaching it back on the 70-200. Its almost like I over torqued to such a level that the CPL is fused to the UV.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 04, 2007 23:41 |  #7

That's a bummer. I've had that happen to me twice with my CPL and ND filters. Both times I've been able to get the CPL off of the ND by screwing it back on the lens, holding the ND filter snug with the lens (i.e., using the lens as additional grip), then turning the CPL. You must have done a bang-up job of getting those two together.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

gjman
THREAD ­ STARTER
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 04, 2007 23:59 |  #8

Grrrrrrrrrrr....I am going to freeze the suckers. As prescribed here:
http://www.earthboundl​ight.com …filter-stuck-on-lens.html (external link)

If that dont work imma gonna take them to Canoga (its a new month, I need to spend half my moolah there anyway)...and perhaps invest in a filter wrench.

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 05, 2007 00:19 |  #9

but wait just a minute _ B+W filters are made of brass and don't get stuck _ I couldn't resist that. Tap them evenly on a hard surface, of course protected with a cloth as the vibration might just dislodge them.

gjman
THREAD ­ STARTER
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 05, 2007 00:27 |  #10

You guys wanna know something really funny. I just went to the Schneider Optics site to see where their service center is located. Its like 3 miles from where I work, but I think its for lenses not filters. Will see what they have to say tomorrow before I truck to Canoga.

LoganWade
68 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 05, 2007 00:40 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #11

Just a note on stacking filters, Its probably a good idea to stack only same brand filters. Different brands may use different metals which may not mesh favorably.

Best Regards,
Logan

Pixel9ine
861 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 05, 2007 00:57 as a reply to  @ LoganWade's post |  #12

I've also had trouble with my CP filter getting stuck; stretching an elastic band around the non-rotating part of the filter helps grip and gets it unstuck pretty easily.

Andre B :: gearlist
www.pixel9ineexternal link.com

gjman
THREAD ­ STARTER
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 05, 2007 09:56 |  #13

They are BOTH B+W 77mm MRC.

I tried that elastic band...didnt work. The electrical wire...no luck.

Finally I froze them overnight in a saucer with the CPL side down with the water level only covering the CPL not the UV. This morning it wouldn't budge for a while when it was still frozen in the saucer, then it came off the saucer and after a little wiggle it came loose as if nothing had happened.

Now lets hope that all this man handling has not damaged the filters.

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,787 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Feb 05, 2007 09:59 |  #14

Well, at least you got them separated. I think they will probably be fine. I know your situation (whale watching and salt spray) didn't leave you much choice, but I've always avoided stacking filters for just the reason you've just endured.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Twitter (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

gjman
THREAD ­ STARTER
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 05, 2007 10:15 |  #15

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #2658307 (external link)
.......I know your situation (whale watching and salt spray) didn't leave you much choice, but I've always avoided stacking filters for just the reason you've just endured.

Well the catamaran was pretty fast and you did have to hold on, it was really not the kinda of place where you can lazily unzip your pack and rummage through filters and their boxes. So I thought it was a good idea to stack them, but I guess every time I turned the filter it was just getting torqued harder.

The other downside to a stuck CPL is that you end up having to use it when you DONT want to. Not very useful when you are running a 2x TC and know that the CPL that is stuck is really NOT helping by cutting down 1-2 stops of light.

sponsored links

16,540 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help: B+W CPL stuck to UV filter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.