Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 05 Feb 2007 (Monday) 15:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Rebecca

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 05, 2007 15:04 |  #1

I've been "house bound" for over a week now getting over some surgery. I needed to do some practicing with my studio lights. Yesterday I fiddled with them some. I was wanting some low key shots of my girls.

Here are a couple I liked. The frustrating thing was I had another hour worth of shots of my other daughter and my wife and they did not save to the card, or heck I forgot to put the card back in, or who knows what.

I've rechecked the 5D and everything seems to be working fine now. I guess I should have been chimping.

Anyway, here are a couple of the shots.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i100.photobucke​t.com …/m16/taygull/IM​G_9858.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i100.photobucke​t.com/albums/m16/taygu​ll/becca2.jpg (external link)

One of the things I'd do different is pick a different bear next time as his black hair does get lost.

Thanks

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
Eyelikedurt
716 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 05, 2007 15:14 |  #2

can you switch your camera settings to disable shooting if there is no card in? i can with my 350d, so im guessing you'll have that feature aswell

In this house we obey the law of thermodynamics!!

Gear: 5D MKii w/grip | 18-55 Canon | 55-200 Canon(ancient) | 50mm 1.8 Canon | 10-22mm Canon (for sale!)| Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX | 24-105L Canon | 430Ex Speedlite |
www.markandrewphotogra​phy.co.uk (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,760 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Feb 05, 2007 15:19 |  #3

I like the poses and the general setup, but wish there was more separation between the subject and the background. The light falloff on the bench makes it fade into the background - which may have been your intent. A little fill from a reflector on that side would have provided some separation though.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 05, 2007 16:05 |  #4

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #2660131 (external link)
I like the poses and the general setup, but wish there was more separation between the subject and the background. The light falloff on the bench makes it fade into the background - which may have been your intent. A little fill from a reflector on that side would have provided some separation though.

Mark

Thanks,

Part of my PP also makes the shadows loose detail. I did want quite a bit of falloff but agree I'd like to see more edge detail in the bench.

McKinney, TX

ijohnson
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Feb 05, 2007 19:02 |  #5

I love number one. Good expression and good pose. What a cutie.

I would love to see more light in the background or at least on the bench.

www.trickoflight.net (external link)
http://www.pbase.com/i​tj12345 (external link)
Original 5D still ROCKS!!!

ABrownPhoto
Goldmember
4,676 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 05, 2007 19:05 |  #6

How old is the little princess? She look like such a sweet girl!

These shots are really good! I actually like the fall-off into the darkness! It adds to the composition because the subject can be seen clearly, and then you have the fall-off which to me, is just awesome because.....it just is!

He still has one more move.

ABrownPhoto.com (external link) | Full Gear List
Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT (x3)

Lynn ­ Minmei
110 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 05, 2007 19:12 |  #7

I usually ask parents to not pick shirts with logos or words on them, but since yours was a spur of the moment thing it's ok. Pics are great! As mentioned, some seperation between background and model would be preferable. Maybe a hairlight or BG light.

"Time heals all wounds, unless it's a rash. Then you're better off with ointment."
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 75-300 II
Canon 28-105
Canon Speedlight 430EX

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 06, 2007 07:21 |  #8

I actually picked the shirt with the logo and writing on it. I felt it better defines her and what is more "typical", same with the jeans and bare feet. The hairlight was used as you can tell the hat is lit up well and her face is also lit up nice with no shadows under the brim.

With respect to the background I did want to light to fall off into blackness I did not want a bunch of light on the bench as to keep the attention on her. She is 10 by the way.

I will be tinkering with this setup some more and might try and figure out how to get just a touch more light spilling over the back edges of the bench to give a little separation.

Thanks

McKinney, TX

sponsored links

1,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Rebecca
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.