Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Feb 2007 (Wednesday) 21:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Homemade Lightbox

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 14, 2007 21:39 |  #1

It's not completed but, I just put this together to see how it would work. See what you guys think. Opinions and suggestions wanted! :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

sponsored links
pepperoni
980 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 15, 2007 00:39 |  #2

I can't tell for sure... is that a rubbermaid storage bin?
The photos look good!

Mamiya. Canon. Elinchrom.

Stump
THREAD ­ STARTER
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 15, 2007 07:41 |  #3

It is a rubbermaid storage thing. It's lined with posterboard and aluminum foil to reflect the light, and thanks!

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 15, 2007 08:21 as a reply to  @ Stump's post |  #4

I think the aluminum foil is overkill and unnecessary. I made my lightbox out of white foam core and it works great. There's no reason for additional reflection, much less from silver foil which can not only reflect the light but can also produce mirror like reflections of the subject/object.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Stump
THREAD ­ STARTER
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 15, 2007 14:38 |  #5

TMR Design wrote in post #2712583 (external link)
I think the aluminum foil is overkill and unnecessary. I made my lightbox out of white foam core and it works great. There's no reason for additional reflection, much less from silver foil which can not only reflect the light but can also produce mirror like reflections of the subject/object.

Okay, thanks. I was just trying different stuff. I think I'll replace the foil with posterboard.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 15, 2007 15:01 |  #6

Stump wrote in post #2714149 (external link)
Okay, thanks. I was just trying different stuff. I think I'll replace the foil with posterboard.

If it helps, you can also eliminate the tub altogether. I took the standard 20" x 30" pieces of white foam core sold in craft stores and just made a rectangular box. Then I take white poster paper and place it inside to create the sweep at the back corner. I'm using 4 100 watt fluorescents in clamp on holders with reflectors and it really works great for something so cheap and simple. I see people spending a lot of time and energy engineering complex lightboxes and I think a good deal of it is overcomplicating something that should and could be simple.
If you are doing product photography or are trying to achieve very special lighting effects that require a larger 'set' or one lit more like a portrait might be then I could see the extra effort but that would also be a much larger box or 'set'.

My lightbox has changed a bit over time and the pictures I had originally posted do not represent the box I have now. If I get some time this evening I'll post some pictures of the lightbox and lights and then some photos taken with the box.

Robert

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 15, 2007 15:04 |  #7

It's better to create a light box with a fine white cloth and shoot the light through it to diffuse the light. It helps to reduce the harsh shadow.

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 15, 2007 15:10 |  #8

Pasukun wrote in post #2714260 (external link)
It's better to create a light box with a fine white cloth and shoot the light through it to diffuse the light. It helps to reduce the harsh shadow.

Absolutely. If I was going to build a box from scratch I would probably have nylon ripstop on the sides and top but I work around this by pointing the lights up and at the sides and never directly at the object. It works well and I get soft shadows, if any. At the time I was going for ultra-cheap and ultra-simple and it was an expriment that just happened to turn out well.

Robert

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 15, 2007 15:39 |  #9

Here is some lightbox made of cloth..
It is written in Korean.. but it has a plenty of pictures to give you general idea.

http://www.slrclub.com …p?id=user_revie​w&no=17707 (external link)

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

Stump
THREAD ­ STARTER
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 15, 2007 20:51 |  #10

I just wanted to make this for fun and to take pictures of ebay items. I'm using 100 watt reveal light bulbs right now. I think I'll make a new one out of pvc pipe and maybe put the light through some cloth. What kind of cloth and where to get it is the next thing. Any pictures of some more lightboxes using cloth? Thanks!

Baadil
855 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 15, 2007 22:43 |  #11

Pasukun wrote in post #2714460 (external link)
Here is some lightbox made of cloth..
It is written in Korean.. but it has a plenty of pictures to give you general idea.

http://www.slrclub.com …p?id=user_revie​w&no=17707 (external link)

Hi,

This link does not seem to work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Canon EOS 400D Xti (Poor man's 1D,) Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6, Canon 18-55mm Kit; Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 16, 2007 09:17 |  #12

Baadil wrote in post #2716378 (external link)
Hi,

This link does not seem to work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Odd.. It seems to work just fine for me..

My Gears

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 16, 2007 10:00 |  #13

Pasukun wrote in post #2718306 (external link)
Odd.. It seems to work just fine for me..

It worked fine for me but since I can't read anything on the page it does me no good.

Robert

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 16, 2007 12:02 |  #14

You are not missing much.
He was hardly describing anything other than what's already on the picture.

My Gears

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 16, 2007 13:24 |  #15

here is a link written in what I hope is understandable english.

http://www.photography​-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=139812

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

sponsored links

2,793 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another Homemade Lightbox
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.