Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Feb 2007 (Thursday) 08:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G3 - 52mm or 58mm?

webrunner5gt
90 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 15, 2007 08:22 |  #1

Hello all and excuse me bringing back an older subject that I have already read many posts in this forum regarding G3 lenses, filters and adapters, but there is one thing that I can't clarify. More or less every brand mentioned (Raynox, Kenko, Tiffen, Hoya etc.) manufactures both 52mm and 58mm elements. If I have got it straight they differ on the diameter of the thread that is screwed on the adapter (LA-DC58B which is 58mm).

What I can't understand is the pros and cons between the two, if there are any, e.g. Canon Close-Up lens 250D 58mm vs the 52mm one.
Also, some are using the adapter mentioned above with 52mm lenses. How is this possible?

The G3 operators' manual indicates 58mm lenses (WC-DC58N, TC-DC58N, ...) but there is a great deal of choices on 52mm elements, used by many in this forum.

English is not my native language, so feel free to laugh with any mistakes. It was a lucky coincidence to find this forum, you are all very informative and have done a great job. Well done

gallery (external link) - gear (current, WTS and WTB)
---------------
dreamlucidandalwaysremember

sponsored links
twalker294
665 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Feb 20, 2007 10:55 |  #2

The "official" Canon adapter is 58mm, which is why they specify the 58mm accessories. However there are plenty of 52mm adapters made by third parties, such as the Lensmate which I have on my G3. Many prefer the 52 because it blocks less of the viewfinder and is more compact than the 58, and 52mm filters are cheaper.

Todd Walker
http://twalker294.post​erous.com/ (external link)http://www.twphotograp​hy.net (external link)
Canon 40D, 10D, G9, SX20IS, and SD500

mattjs
114 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 20, 2007 11:05 |  #3

twalker294 wrote in post #2741714 (external link)
Many prefer the 52 because it blocks less of the viewfinder and is more compact than the 58, and 52mm filters are cheaper.

I have the 52mm on my G3 for exactly those reasons. The 52mm also blocks the built in flash less than the 58mm.

- Matt
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dmspics (external link)

webrunner5gt
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 20, 2007 18:43 |  #4

Given that there is no difference, at least a major one, on the quality, I guess 52mm is indeed a better solution.

Thank you for your answers

---------------

mikecr
39 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Feb 21, 2007 19:13 as a reply to  @ webrunner5gt's post |  #5

Through lensmate you can buy a package which will give you both a 52 and 58 adaptor.I bought the set so you can have the best of both and I found it better as my local camera shop sells used filters so it gave me a way better range and could find all the filters I needed.Most the aftermarket add-on lenses are 52mm but canons are all 58mm.

webrunner5gt
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 22, 2007 05:39 |  #6

I visited lensmate but unfortunately the 52mm adapter is not available! Is there any other reseller of lensmate products? Lensmate also manufactures a 52 to 58mm step up ring which must be a handy option if you want to use both diameters.

---------------

mattjs
114 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 22, 2007 09:03 |  #7

If lensmate won't have the 52mm for the G3/G5 anymore, you can get one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com …30059QQrdZ1QQcm​dZViewItem (external link)

- Matt

webrunner5gt
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 22, 2007 09:47 as a reply to  @ mattjs's post |  #8

hmm, interesting, the e-mailed notification shows 2 ebay listings in your reply but here I see 1... anyway I checked both, thank you. I've been looking on eBay for a week or so but I'm kind of unlucky till now, with one or two exceptions. Most sellers are from the US and another thing is that I "suffer" from peculiarity and I prefer a silver one to match the camera body colour with no strange fonts on.. funny but true. Judging from the success though I think I'll have to minimize that peculiarity.

have a nice day Matt and thank you for the links

---------------

mattjs
114 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 22, 2007 09:58 as a reply to  @ webrunner5gt's post |  #9

That's pretty funny :D I edited and deleted the other link after I realized it was a black colored adapter geared for the G5 (I figured you wouldn't want it for your G3). You have to match the color so I only left the link for the silver one. You're not peculiar at all on the color. The black one would look wierd on the G3. It looks like that silver one says they ship Worldwide.

- Matt

webrunner5gt
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 22, 2007 10:12 as a reply to  @ mattjs's post |  #10

This is another great thing about forums, its like homeopathy between people of a kind! I already watch the silver one, it has those terrible fonts on but... what the heck.. I'll wait for a couple of days and if I don't find any better alternative I'll go for it.

best regards

---------------

sponsored links

2,450 views & 0 likes for this thread
G3 - 52mm or 58mm?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.