Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Feb 2007 (Saturday) 18:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Q about Canon EF 1.4x II and Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 converters

daletu
324 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 17, 2007 18:38 |  #1

I am thinking about getting a 1.4x converter for my Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L.
It's going to be either Canon 1.4x or Kenko 1.4x Pro 300.
But I have some questions before I decide which one I want to get.

I know AF will not work on both converters unless I use the tape trick.
And I also heard using tape trick on Canon 1.4x converter will have risk of destroying the AF motor.

I don't understand why?
What about Kenko 1.4x?
Will tape trick on Kenko 1.4x have risk too?

Dale
www.daletuphoto.com (external link)
1D MK III / 5D MK II / 35mm F1.4L / 50mm F1.4 / 85mm F1.2L II / 16-35mm F2.8L II / 24-70mm F2.8L / 70-200mm F2.8L IS / 1.4x II Extender / 580EX ... more

sponsored links
Big ­ WIll
"Slight breach of etiquette"
2,363 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 17, 2007 18:47 |  #2

Can you explain the Tape trick?

I believe the Kenko gives very good results, the Canon version is slightly better but at a lot more money!

I just bought a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x converter off eBay! So will be posting some shots soon!

Computers blur the boundaries... We are being released from the suddenness of photography, the suddenness of the shutterhttp://www.photography​-on-the.net …p?p=1606920&pos​tcount=132

daletu
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 17, 2007 19:12 as a reply to  @ Big WIll's post |  #3

I read somewhere saying that you cann tape the first 3 pins on the converter to make AF work.

Thanks! I will love to see some shots.

Dale
1D MK III / 5D MK II / 35mm F1.4L / 50mm F1.4 / 85mm F1.2L II / 16-35mm F2.8L II / 24-70mm F2.8L / 70-200mm F2.8L IS / 1.4x II Extender / 580EX ... more

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 17, 2007 19:21 |  #4

In good light, I can achieve AF with the Kenko and the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS at 300 mm.

My Gear

jrsforums
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 17, 2007 23:02 |  #5

daletu wrote in post #2726459 (external link)
I am thinking about getting a 1.4x converter for my Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L.

And I also heard using tape trick on Canon 1.4x converter will have risk of destroying the AF motor.

I don't understand why?
What about Kenko 1.4x?

Both TC's will act the same way. The Kenko is good, but a bit soft on the edges. The Canon is much sharper all around.

As you look at the end of the TC which attaches to the lens, you will see a row of of 11 pins. These are electrical contacts to transmit info from the lens and the camera. Tape off the 3 left-most pins. I use a small bit of gaffers tape, but any non-residue tape will work.

This will fake the camera into not "seeing" the TC and you will have AF....somewhat slowed, particularly in low light, but it will still work. The 100-400 seems OK with the 1.4x...with 2x it hunts too much.

Actually I do not tape the pins on the TC. On the 100-400 I tape the pins on the lens (mirror image to the TC pins). This way the TC works on the 100-400 "faking" the camera to think it is still max. f/5.6 at 400mm, but will properly report it's (TCs) presence when used with the 70-200 f/2.8.

The "hunting" is what could damage the AF motor...if the person doing it was silly enough to keep trying to use the lens that way...i.e. continually failing to AF properly and "hunting" from end to end.

John

Gear List

jrsforums
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 17, 2007 23:07 |  #6

runninmann wrote in post #2726633 (external link)
In good light, I can achieve AF with the Kenko and the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS at 300 mm.

The 70-300f/4-5.6 does not have the extra pins (total 11) to report the presence of a TC, so no TC pin taping is required. The only Canon lenses that due are those which will work with Canon TCs.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ts/canon1_4xExt​ender.html (external link)
(needs to be updated to include '70-200 f/4.0 IS L')

John

Gear List

daletu
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 18, 2007 04:54 |  #7

jrsforums wrote in post #2727576 (external link)
Both TC's will act the same way. The Kenko is good, but a bit soft on the edges. The Canon is much sharper all around.

As you look at the end of the TC which attaches to the lens, you will see a row of of 11 pins. These are electrical contacts to transmit info from the lens and the camera. Tape off the 3 left-most pins. I use a small bit of gaffers tape, but any non-residue tape will work.

This will fake the camera into not "seeing" the TC and you will have AF....somewhat slowed, particularly in low light, but it will still work. The 100-400 seems OK with the 1.4x...with 2x it hunts too much.

Actually I do not tape the pins on the TC. On the 100-400 I tape the pins on the lens (mirror image to the TC pins). This way the TC works on the 100-400 "faking" the camera to think it is still max. f/5.6 at 400mm, but will properly report it's (TCs) presence when used with the 70-200 f/2.8.

The "hunting" is what could damage the AF motor...if the person doing it was silly enough to keep trying to use the lens that way...i.e. continually failing to AF properly and "hunting" from end to end.

Thank you very much for your detail explanation.
It makes much more sense now.

So if I tape the pins, I should probably still use manual focus to avoid the lens trying to hunt for the focus point.

Dale

Adi7r
945 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 18, 2007 07:15 |  #8

daletu wrote in post #2726459 (external link)

I don't understand why?
What about Kenko 1.4x?

Here's a link with the Kenko Pro 300dg attached to a Sigma 50-500mm. Tripod mounted.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=276947
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=273768

Adi
flickr (external link)
ephotozine (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 18, 2007 07:27 |  #9

daletu wrote in post #2728573 (external link)
Thank you very much for your detail explanation.
It makes much more sense now.

So if I tape the pins, I should probably still use manual focus to avoid the lens trying to hunt for the focus point.

Just don't tape the pins, and use manual focus. If you're going to use manual focus anyway, there's no reason to risk buggering up the connectors with adhesive.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

2,800 views & 0 likes for this thread
Q about Canon EF 1.4x II and Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 converters
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.