Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Feb 2007 (Sunday) 08:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

350D - worth upgrading to 400D/30D?

davidtan
31 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 18, 2007 08:04 |  #1

I've owned a 350D for two years now, and a 300D for a year before that, and am wondering if it's about time to upgrade to a 400D, or maybe a 30D if I can find the cash.

So in short, is the 400D a (vastly) superior camera to the 350D? Has anyone made the upgrade?

sponsored links
Pete-eos
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 18, 2007 08:06 |  #2

Personally, I'd say no, spend your money elsewhere, a new lens or something. Wait and see if a 40D is announced as see if you can upgrade to the 30D...

Big ­ WIll
"Slight breach of etiquette"
2,363 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 18, 2007 08:11 |  #3

Keep the 350d and buy some new lenses! Then I would personally wait for the new 30d, whether its called the 40d or whateva!

What is your current kit?

Computers blur the boundaries... We are being released from the suddenness of photography, the suddenness of the shutterhttp://www.photography​-on-the.net …p?p=1606920&pos​tcount=132

davidtan
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 18, 2007 08:25 |  #4

I've got a 350D, standard 18-55mm kit lens, Tamron 28-200 F3.8, Canon 380EX and just purchased a 70-200 F4L from kerso (which is absolutely stunning). I'm thinking about getting a Sigma 17-70 next.

When's the 'next' 30D model likely to be announced? I'm not someone who has megapixel mania, so the 8/10mp difference between the 30D/400D doesn't make such a big difference to me.

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 18, 2007 08:28 |  #5

It's likely to be announced in either a few weeks, or in 6 months time.

The 350D is a highly capable camera. I agree with others who say to spend the money on some good glass instead. As an example, for the money of a 400D, you could get a Tamron 17-50 and a Sigma 10-20.

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

JCR
dubiously affectionate
1,303 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 18, 2007 09:10 |  #6

I upgraded 350D to 30D (I use 99% M mode)

The image quality is very similar, not better or worse on either just a little different (hard for me to describe how) barely if at all noticeable.

The 30D is just nicer (little faster) to use, feels more substantial.
I have used spot metering quite a lot so far and can see benefit.
1/3 stop ISO can be useful too but no deal breaker and the joystick is a far better way of changing focal points.
If your shooting fast, ie candids/kids or sports, the 30D will give you more keepers. (assuming a decent lens)
The picture styles are handy now I am more competent/confident to shoot jpg (I use this for candids and family snaps sometimes, 0 pp needed.

Anyway, thats my experience from upgrading, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

There are 10 types of people that understand binary, those that can and those that can't.

Doug ­ Pardee
838 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 18, 2007 09:13 |  #7

What don't you like about the XT/350D?

Don't just buy stuff because Canon sticks it out there. Buy stuff because it satisfies some need that you have.

shaunknee
640 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 18, 2007 10:14 |  #8

I find the focusing ability of the 30D much better then tthe 350 I owned.

1DS2, 1DX, 24-70II, 70-200 2.8 IS II ,100 Macro, 1.4X, 430 EX II

NorCalAl
966 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 18, 2007 10:18 |  #9

I did the same upgrade for a couple of reasons: I have old-man eyes and the larger LCD was really needed; I like how the 30D feels in my hands (I have very big hands); the additional speed and ISO range and because my warranty was up on the XT.
Personally, I'd do it again any time. The reaons you upgrade need to be important to you and you shouldn't let others tell you what is important to you.

Gear List

Nikon, the dark adventure begins...

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 18, 2007 10:56 |  #10

My recommendation - stick with the XT (I have). Buy some better lenses and if you need to upgrade then upgrade to something decent instead of something half-way that you'll want to upgrade from later.

The XT is a great introduction to Canon. After the XT I recommend going to a 5D or a 1DsMk2. Anything else you'll want to upgrade from. Just go for the best or you'll waste time and money going for half-baked solutions.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk (external link)
www.sageworld.org (external link)
www.sagephotoworld.com (external link)
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavens (external link)

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Feb 18, 2007 11:26 |  #11

With the lenses you own, I'd say there's no need to upgrade to a 400D. The only compelling reason to go from a 350D to a 400D is if you own f/2.8 or better lenses, and like using them wide open. The focussing improvement in this case was enough for me to make that change.

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 19, 2007 01:02 |  #12

Unless you really want a feature on the 400D/30D, I'd stick with the 350D.
I've had them all, 300D, 350D, 400D, and 30D. The main difference is in the feel and features. Not much if any real world difference in the Image quality of prints.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

dschach
107 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 19, 2007 09:57 |  #13

I own a 350 and recently borrowed a friend's 20D. The big difference between the 350 and the 20D is handling and autofocus speed. The 20D is easier to change settings and it focuses faster and more accurately in low light especially in ai servo mode. I photograph basketball and most school gyms are poorly lit. If you plan on doing indoor sports then you will appreciate the 30D. For most shooting however you will not see a difference.

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 19, 2007 10:15 |  #14

gcogger wrote in post #2729675 (external link)
With the lenses you own, I'd say there's no need to upgrade to a 400D. The only compelling reason to go from a 350D to a 400D is if you own f/2.8 or better lenses, and like using them wide open.

I'd venture to add that the difference you get from buying an f/2.8 lens with the money you save by not going to the 400D is a lot more significant than any difference from upgrading the body :lol:

Seriously, as somebody else stated it very eloquently

somebody else wrote:
If you don't exactly know what the differences between the cameras are and how they will help you to get better picture, then chances are the upgrade is not really needed

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,607 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 19, 2007 10:17 |  #15

I believe it all comes down to what’s important for you. If IQ is your number one concern, than the switch will be disappointing as pretty much all of the 2 and 3 digit cameras have identical IQ and a photo taken from one will be indistinguishable from another as the biggest contributing factor is the glass you hang off of the body. But if you’re loosing shots and there is a feature that a 2 digit has that will solve your problem, then go for it. But I am with Rhys, the only real upgrade from any of the 2 or 3 digit Canons is to a single digit.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

2,282 views & 0 likes for this thread
350D - worth upgrading to 400D/30D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.