Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Feb 2007 (Thursday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just Got AB Beauty Dish, How To Operate?

nitekatt2006
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 22, 2007 23:18 |  #1

Hello shooters. We just got an AB beauty dish this week with 2 AB 800 lights and a female model has agreed to pose for us for some shots and allow us to experiment with it. We don't have a clue on how to use it, where to place it, how far from camera to subject. Any good tutorials around to guide a beginner? We only have experience with umbrellas and strobes.

Thanks katt:p

Canon 10D and 30D. Tokina 80-200mm Pro 2.8 zoom, Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 2 AB 800

sponsored links
Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 23, 2007 11:25 |  #2

He/she probably bought it in hopes of learning to use it. Reading what these things can do on AB's website makes you want to buy them to try them out.

nitekatt2006: Call AB and talk to them if nobody here wants to be helpful with good comments. I had good luck calling them to get me started when I got my stuff.

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 23, 2007 11:49 |  #3

Google led me to FM forums, which led me here (external link). Go Literature > download pdf > Simply Lit with Joe McNally.
Quite a few examples of different light modifiers. Might help a bit.
Apart from that: just use your eyes, and look how the light falls...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

nitekatt2006
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 23, 2007 11:49 |  #4

Someone said, "why did you get it then"? Then why would any of us here buy any photo gear and why do we have this forum and why do I give out help when I can and ask you all for the things I need help with. An answer like that helps no one. A bit sarcastic and insultive, I'm sorry I asked for help here, never mind katt

Canon 10D and 30D. Tokina 80-200mm Pro 2.8 zoom, Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 2 AB 800

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 23, 2007 12:07 |  #5

why would you adress the only negative comment?

after some research, i found this link:

http://photo.net …a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006xCb (external link)

which looks like it should be helpful enough.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

nitekatt2006
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 23, 2007 12:36 |  #6

I'm not only addressing that, but I have seen these answers given to others who ask for help here. And to awad, thank you for your research. I googled things like, how to use beauty dish, fashion and beauty dish, etc. There is an art to ask the computer how to look for help. To me, I get more help here or links to other sources.

Sorry I had to sound off, but this isn't the first time someone has made responses that don't help, belittle people etc. Not to me personally, but i know some people never came back here for help because of that reason. A bit over sensative perhaps, but I understand. And I have also seen other members here who have responded to someone's questions unfavorably. If we all knew the answers, then why ask anything.

Many people here take time out of their day, me included when I can and give someone a hand. To me, no question is stupid from a beginner. one guy asked here what an "f" stop was. Some people gave very insulting answers, where someone else explained and gave links to tutorials to help. No one that I know of has has a note attached in their diapers on why or how to do anything. Just a joke, had to liven things up a bit haha.

Anyway, if i feel someone has been disrespectful in a response, i will let that person know it, not just for me. but for others and you should too. Why respond at all if good advice or help can't be given

And the answer to the question as to why we got the beauty dish, is that I read many great fashion photographers use them, but so far i haven't seen any step by step tutorials, like diagrams which better help us understand by seeing in real time.

Now though there are several responders who have offered some help, so I have some places to go. And if i see a question asked here and i know the answer or where to find more help, I will post it.

Thanks to all of you who do help us positively katt

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 23, 2007 13:54 as a reply to  @ nitekatt2006's post |  #7

Hi katt,

Don't be discouraged or give up on the forums. We've all been in the position you're in, whether asking about equipment we want to purchase or have already purchased. Sometimes you get no response, other times tons of responses. Once in a while you get someone that contributes nothing and makes negative commentary. It happens. In many cases the negative comment is taken out of context or blown out of proportion. In can be very counterproductive and triggers the same "never mind" reaction.

There are no silly or stupid questions. I encourage you to ask about anything and everything and don't worry about those that offer nothing. For every one of them there are tens of members that will gladly help you, provide links, offer images or diagrams, and point you in a direction that gives you some help or understanding of the topic you asked about.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

nitekatt2006
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 23, 2007 19:22 |  #8

Thanks so much TMR Design for your support, just spoutin' a bit off this morning, I'm cool.

One related thing that was positive today and came in the nick of time was the book, Light Science and Magic which came into my library today. i have read many recommendations about this book here and I have skimmed over it and there is much info that we can learn that applies to using the beauty dish.

katt

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 23, 2007 19:40 |  #9

Make sure you post some results, because the AB beauty dish is next on my list to buy.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

nitekatt2006
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 23, 2007 19:49 |  #10

AWAD, if i get something this week on our shoot that looks pro, i certainly will post an image or 2. Unfortunately, the sock thingy that fits over the reflector wasn't ordered and that is supposed to soften the light even more. We'll see what happens and I'll keep ya posted

Now if we could just look over someone like Stephen Meisel's shoulder at one of his Vogue shoots, he certainly knows how they work, here that Stephen!!

katt

nitekatt2006
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 23, 2007 20:00 |  #11

To RENE about pdf Simply Lit, that's it DUDE! This is exactly what we needed, pictures and lighting rigs used with model in real time, Octos, beauty dish, etc. See, I knew someone here had the answers or could find it for us. I owe ya one!!

THANKSSSSSSSSS katt

charlesu
Goldmember
4,320 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 23, 2007 21:34 |  #12

The beauty dish is a nice tool. I have one. I treat it as almost a direct flash from t he camera. Straight on, more snap than using brollies or other mods.

here is an example.....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Thanks for stopping in and having a look.
Prints of my work are available for purchase. Please contact me offline or thru PM if you are interested.

sponsored links

7,464 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just Got AB Beauty Dish, How To Operate?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.