Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Feb 2007 (Sunday) 23:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Linux saved my life!!

NewbieXT
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 25, 2007 23:19 |  #1

Ok, maybe a little melodramatic, but check this out. Was having trouble getting my dvd burner to give me reliable backups of my photo files, so rather than back up nearly 50gig on cd after cd, I procrastinated.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and and get the pics organized and backed up. Spent days yanking picture files from every partition on my hard drives, and then going into every folder to delete the duplicates created by ZoomBrowser.

Needed to go buy some CDs, so backing up would have to wait till the weekend.

Fired up the Computer the next morning, to find that some how Windows had lost my Photo partition. Discouraging but, I have needed to recover "accidentally" deleted partitions before. I broke out my linux "System Rescue CD" and ran a little program called "testdisk". Not the most linux savvy person out there so it took me a minute to remember how to recover a partition. YATZEE, rewrote the partition, now back to windows to backup my pictures...
Not, so much.

Windows takes it upon itself to delete 1000's of "Orphan Files". Ever notice how many people sell software to compensate for Windows problems?

Well it is no longer an issue of recovering a deleted partition, I need to undelete files. After some research, and not wanting to buy some overpriced software (that may or may not do the job), I discovered that the same people who gave us "testdisk", also gave us "photorec". This program will recover fies from any file system. The down side is that it doesn't recover the file name, it assigns a new one. It also recovers all files, duplicates and some whatever else it finds that has not been rewritten on. Was origionally created to recover files from memory cards, another bonus.

Still in the middle of redeleting duplicates and deleting recovered files if I have a backup with the origional file name, but I think I managed to get back most of my photos back. Some of my files apparently had become corrupted before the devastation, and I have no way to recover them.

SO, mostly I'm just trying to say Linux saved many irreplaceable photos, But nothing works like...

BACK UP YOUR FILES OFTEN!!

sponsored links
amsm
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 25, 2007 23:37 |  #2

NewbieXT wrote in post #2775313 (external link)
BACK UP YOUR FILES OFTEN!!

and then back up the backup !  :p

A USB hard drive specifically for the purpose is well worthwhile. As an addition to the CD and DVD backups, not instead of.

Andrew
1D Mk II * 70-200 f/4L * 70-200 f2.8/L * 28-70 f/2.8L * Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro * Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EXDC * Kenko 2X TC * 430EX * IXUS 500 * Powershot S50 + Underwater housing * AE1+, Sigma 50 f1.4, Kiron 80 - 210
Redbubble (external link) | Picasaweb (external link) | Great Ocean Road (external link) | When to use than and when to use then (external link)

NewbieXT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 25, 2007 23:45 |  #3

amsm wrote in post #2775442 (external link)
and then back up the backup ! :p

A USB hard drive specifically for the purpose is well worthwhile. As an addition to the CD and DVD backups, not instead of.

Just purchased a 250 gig usb hard drive. and a laptop with a different dvd burner. Any one else have trouble with LiteOn? Have two in my desktop and neither can read their on writing any more.

woffles
438 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 26, 2007 00:14 |  #4

One tip, if you get an external get a firewire. Much faster then external usb drives. I learned the hard way also and had to spend money to get back about 6 months of pictures. Only a few were lost but most were recovered. Now I'm just waiting on blu ray to drop in price or HD, whichever becomes the standard to make further backups.

Film is what you get when you don't brush your teeth.

NewbieXT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 26, 2007 01:23 |  #5

blue ray disks are like $20.00 usd each. It would tick me off to make a twenty dollar coaster. I will give it a few years also.

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 26, 2007 01:34 |  #6

As i read this I'm backing up to my craigslist sourced new in bos xor $150 500 gig usb drive.

My DVD backups aren't very reliable I'm finding...

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 26, 2007 01:37 |  #7

woffles wrote in post #2775606 (external link)
One tip, if you get an external get a firewire. Much faster then external usb drives. I learned the hard way also and had to spend money to get back about 6 months of pictures. Only a few were lost but most were recovered. Now I'm just waiting on blu ray to drop in price or HD, whichever becomes the standard to make further backups.

If I recall, USB 2.0 is actually faster than firewire. USB 2.0 can download at 480mbps. Firewire is only 400mbps.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

grphx
724 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 26, 2007 01:47 |  #8

asysin2leads wrote in post #2775899 (external link)
If I recall, USB 2.0 is actually faster than firewire. USB 2.0 can download at 480mbps. Firewire is only 400mbps.

That's true, USB's transfer rate is higher than firewire, but USB has more overhead than firewire, and in the end, if you timed from the moment you clicked "Paste" till it said it was done copying, firewire would finish first.

Also, I work for Seagate tech support and I keep getting calls of photographers loosing their backups. It makes me sad to hear that, since I'm a photographer too. Please people back up your stuff. I had one lady loose her stuff becaue she saved her stuff on an external drive and it cost her $3k because it was a wedding shoot she just did.

Canon 50D, 6D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
www.jarcophoto.com (external link)

vel
47 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 26, 2007 01:47 |  #9

asysin2leads wrote in post #2775899 (external link)

Ahh... the mythological creature "maximum speed"....

These numbers, while correct for a certain value of correct, are theoretical maximum throughput. Not average, and not necessarily your data. This is where firewire wins.

USB has a much higher overhead in data transfer. This means a lot of it's throughput is used up transferring meta-data (data about the data).

Long story short: Take a external drive that supports USB2 and Firewire, transfer a set of files over firewire and time it. Transfer the same set of files over USB and time it. USB will lose every time.

Still, both are pretty fast. Hmmm... must find Firewire 800 hard-disk enclosure...

--
Canon 7D, 20D and other stuff.

strmrdr
Goldmember
1,853 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 26, 2007 03:18 |  #10

I used to use Linux recue CDs all the time to recover data for clients at $500 a pop its good money.
KNOPPIX is usualy what I used because I had to teach the other techs to use it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 26, 2007 03:26 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

firewire 800 > firewire 400 > usb 2

Costco has a 1TB Western Digital My Book Pro Edition External Hard Drive for $400.

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 26, 2007 10:29 |  #12

NewbieXT wrote in post #2775489 (external link)
Any one else have trouble with LiteOn? Have two in my desktop and neither can read their on writing any more.

Got two LiteOn drives (DVD reader + writer) 4 years old now without any issues. Suggestion for your fix might be to update or reflash the existing firmware.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 26, 2007 11:17 |  #13

NewbieXT wrote in post #2775489 (external link)
Just purchased a 250 gig usb hard drive. and a laptop with a different dvd burner. Any one else have trouble with LiteOn? Have two in my desktop and neither can read their on writing any more.

Bluedog_XT wrote in post #2777456 (external link)
Got two LiteOn drives (DVD reader + writer) 4 years old now without any issues. Suggestion for your fix might be to update or reflash the existing firmware.

Agree! I have one at home and two at work plus I put one in my wife's grandmother's computer at Christmas. All have worked with no issues at all. (knocks on wood)

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

NewbieXT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 26, 2007 11:46 |  #14

strmrdr wrote in post #2776186 (external link)
I used to use Linux recue CDs all the time to recover data for clients at $500 a pop its good money.
KNOPPIX is usualy what I used because I had to teach the other techs to use it.

I use "System Rescue CD" for partitioning and to use dban and some other utilities. Mostly for partitioning because partimage in knoppix makes me reboot after every step, but srcd lets me do all of it at once. I do use knoppix alot and for Windows systems BartPE is awesome for very helpful.

My new knoppix replacement is becoming DreamLinux. It is setup so that you can use windows drivers for wireless lan card, and it uses debian's apt-get to install programs with minimum know how. It also has a Mac look with little overhead due XFCE and Engage. Runs from live CD and looks good.

NewbieXT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 26, 2007 11:55 |  #15

In2Photos wrote in post #2777718 (external link)
Agree! I have one at home and two at work plus I put one in my wife's grandmother's computer at Christmas. All have worked with no issues at all. (knocks on wood)

I think the problem I am having with these drives is due to them being "Media Picky". For example Memorex... Ain't happening. Nero under windows will write but the drive won't read the disk half the time. Other DVD drives and DVD Burners can read the disk sometimes but not these two liteOns. I was able to recover alot of pics with the Optiarc drive that came with my laptop, from disks that I thought were coasters.

Yes both firmwares are up to date.

sponsored links

2,789 views & 0 likes for this thread
Linux saved my life!!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.