Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Feb 2007 (Monday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Domke 4-4AF Mini Review

Pete
Cream of the Crop
38,607 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 26, 2007 15:03 |  #1

Just thought I'd share a little about this really nice bag. For a small bag, it really does carry a a surprising amount of equipment safely, and really easily to get at while you're wearing it.

Here it is, containing a 5D/25-105, 100-400, remote in the main compartment. 50mm, extension tubes, TC in the side pockets, and a flashgun and car reader in the front compartment.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i13.photobucket​.com …294/peteghia/DS​C00352.jpg (external link)

As you can see, it's tidyly compact and everything's easy to get to. It will even carry the 100-400 mounted without any problem at all. The internal compartment is well padded, but the outers are not, but things are fine if you pack well and look where you're swinging it.

The fittings are all metal - no plastic bits to snap off, and the straps are all very sturdy - the shoulder strap has rubber lines on the inside to keep it from slipping off your shoulder. The hand strap can be mounted in the top position or behind the bag (where it can be mounted securely on a wheely suitcase).

In all well worth it for practicality and durability.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

sponsored links
SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 27, 2007 08:57 |  #2

Pete, do you like having the pockets on the outside of the bag? Or would you prefer more room for stuff on the inside?

40D and a whole bunch of lenses
Canon 430EX, Kenko 1.4x, Domke F-3X, F-5XB, Zeikos grip
Zenfolio Discount Code: YGK-8U7-1GG (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 27, 2007 10:03 |  #3

Can't speak for Pete, but I like being able to reach things without having to open the whole bag up. My end pockets tend to catch things like sunglasses, card caddies, batteries, notepads, filters and the like that I reach for a lot.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 27, 2007 10:22 |  #4

Jon wrote in post #2783863 (external link)
Can't speak for Pete, but I like being able to reach things without having to open the whole bag up. My end pockets tend to catch things like sunglasses, card caddies, batteries, notepads, filters and the like that I reach for a lot.

Yeah, I see how that could be handy. The problem I foresee with the outside pockets is that it creates a smaller area for the camera/lens, yet a larger overall bag.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 27, 2007 10:23 |  #5

Well, unless you don't use the inside pockets you're still going to get smaller usable contiguous area than the overall dimensions would indicate.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 27, 2007 11:11 |  #6

Jon wrote in post #2783955 (external link)
Well, unless you don't use the inside pockets you're still going to get smaller usable contiguous area than the overall dimensions would indicate.

Ya know, the exterior dimensions of the Domke F-3X are really perfect for me -- but the side pockets make the interior dimensions not quite big enough (again, for me).

Domke F-3X
Exterior Dimensions 12.5 x 7.25 x 9.6" (LxWxD)
Interior Dimensions 8.5 x 5.5 x 9.0"

Bummer. :(

Pete
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
38,607 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 27, 2007 11:31 |  #7

Outside pockets make perfect sense to me. As stated, they're easier to get to for smaller items. I just use the inside compartment for the larger items. Also means that sandwiches/snack bars don't get crushed by lenses.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 27, 2007 18:42 |  #8

Pete wrote in post #2784293 (external link)
Outside pockets make perfect sense to me. As stated, they're easier to get to for smaller items.

Yeah, I can see the advantage of having outside pockets.

I just really wish the F-3X had a slightly larger interior... the exterior dimensions are perfection! ;)

Medic85
I just quoted Forrest Gump!
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 10, 2008 05:46 |  #9

I just bought this bag and got it early in the week. I like it but the problem I've encountered is that with the included inserts, my 70-200 f/4 with the hood reversed is a very tight fit in the dual insert. I can't fit my 85 with the hood in the other side of the insert. I've thought about buying the padded side inserts to go in the outside side compartments but I don't know if they will fit. According to the Domke site, the side inserts are for J series bags. I've never seen a J series bag before so I don't know if it will fit or not. Do you guys know about the side pocket inserts fitting on this bag? I like the bag so far but I've just had some issues fitting all my gear in there the way I want to. That being said though, I haven't really played around with it too much yet but I wanted to throw that out there for any suggestions. Oh yeah, I also noticed that if I ever put a grip on my 30D, I'll have to take out the main insert....at least it looks that way to me. Any thoughts?

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 10, 2008 16:25 |  #10

My simple advise is cram your stuff in. Its a Domke bag. If you wanted a super padded bag you should have got one. I have a Domke F6 that last night I stuffed a 70-200 2.8IS, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, Nikon 18-35mm with adapter, Lensbaby 2.0, and a Mark III on the inside, I kept my note book, filters, card reader, usb cable, cf cards, batteries, pocket knife, and biz cards in the outside pockets. I also put my 70-200 case on the strap secured it with a beaner.(the 70-200 will fit on the inside but when I'm shooting fast i find the 70-200 case convient for random crap). I have another beaner on the strap for my watter bottle and usually a few more in the pockets for other stuff.

Medic, I personally see no need for the padding in the outside pockets it just seems like it would take up space. Just my op. My thoughts about the battery grip on the 30D is to just squeeze it all in. I have noticed the longer you have these bags the more they seem to be able to fit.

To me the outside pockets rock it allows me fast access to what I need while doing my job. I like the outside pockets on my F-6 bag more then the ones on the F1-X but they both work great.

SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 10, 2008 16:26 |  #11

Bumgardnern wrote in post #4675422 (external link)
cram your stuff in.

:lol:

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 10, 2008 18:10 |  #12

My simple advise is cram your stuff in. Its a Domke bag. If you wanted a super padded bag you should have got one. I have a Domke F6 that last night I stuffed a 70-200 2.8IS, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, Nikon 18-35mm with adapter, Lensbaby 2.0, and a Mark III on the inside, I kept my note book, filters, card reader, usb cable, cf cards, batteries, pocket knife, and biz cards in the outside pockets. I also put my 70-200 case on the strap secured it with a beaner.(the 70-200 will fit on the inside but when I'm shooting fast i find the 70-200 case convient for random crap). I have another beaner on the strap for my watter bottle and usually a few more in the pockets for other stuff.

Medic, I personally see no need for the padding in the outside pockets it just seems like it would take up space. Just my op. My thoughts about the battery grip on the 30D is to just squeeze it all in. I have noticed the longer you have these bags the more they seem to be able to fit.

To me the outside pockets rock it allows me fast access to what I need while doing my job. I like the outside pockets on my F-6 bag more then the ones on the F1-X but they both work great.

I totally agree. Only way anything in my Domke outside pockets gets padded is that the flashes go in in their pouches. Most of the other stuff doesn't need padding. I didn't even pad for the 2 teleconverters and the 35 in the F-802 when we went to Greece or Italy.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

Medic85
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 10, 2008 18:16 |  #13

I never said I was looking for a super padded bag. I've never owned a Domke and wasn't aware of the fact that it will wear in a good way with time. Thank you for your advice.

Jon wrote in post #4676104 (external link)
I totally agree. Only way anything in my Domke outside pockets gets padded is that the flashes go in in their pouches. Most of the other stuff doesn't need padding. I didn't even pad for the 2 teleconverters and the 35 in the F-802 when we went to Greece or Italy.

Thanks, Jon. You always give great advice on these bags. Thanks again for the recommendation. I'll give these suggestions a try later tonight.

Medic85
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 11, 2008 08:54 |  #14

Ok, cramming the gear in seems to work...for now. I guess I'll give it a few days in the bag to hopefully stretch out a bit. Maybe then it won't be so difficult to get stuff in and out of the bag.

GizmoGarage
73 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 11, 2008 08:59 |  #15

Medic85 wrote in post #4671486 (external link)
I've thought about buying the padded side inserts to go in the outside side compartments but I don't know if they will fit. According to the Domke site, the side inserts are for J series bags. I've never seen a J series bag before so I don't know if it will fit or not. Do you guys know about the side pocket inserts fitting on this bag?

I have a J-1 and a F-4. The end pocket inserts for the J-1 are too big to fit into the end pockets of the F-4. As others have already said, the end pockets on a F-4 don't seem to need any extra padding. For my J-1, I usually remove the inserts and just leave the end pockets unpadded.

sponsored links

17,281 views & 0 likes for this thread
Domke 4-4AF Mini Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.