Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Mar 2007 (Thursday) 16:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Crop factor/sensor math

fuzzygraphics
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 08, 2007 16:03 |  #1

I have Rebel XT and the kit lens (18-55mm). If the Rebel XT has a crop factor of 1.6 for the smaller sensor, does that mean that my kit lens is really 29mm-88mm? Or is the 18-55mm already taking the crop factor in to account?

I'm trying to compare the 17-40L to the 18-55 kit lens in terms of how wide it will shoot. As I understand the 17mm aspect of the 17-40 will actually be closer to 27mm because of the crop, but I'm wondering if that is still slightly wider than the kit lens or not.

http://www.fuzzysgraph​ics.com (external link)

sponsored links
Jarrad
801 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 08, 2007 16:11 |  #2

yes, 27.2mm is wider than 28.8mm :)

.com (external link)

chris ­ clements
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 08, 2007 16:11 |  #3

Crop factor has no relevance.
What can't you compare between 17 and 18, or 40 and 55??

* I'm wondering if your question might have been asked here before - you DID 'search' before posting, didn't you ???

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 08, 2007 16:12 |  #4

The 17-40 is 1mm wider than your kit lens.

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Mar 08, 2007 16:21 |  #5

On a crop camera, 1.6 mm wider :wink:

If you compare the field-of-view on your new digital camera with the field-of-view you got on your old digital camera, then you are absolutely correct.

The 18 mm lens on the digital camera will give you the same field of view that using a 28 mm lens on a 35 mm film camera would give you.
So for the sake of convenience, if you are used to using a 28 mm lens for something on your film camera, use an 18 mm lens now.

Don't get confused by those that will come to this thread and

- point out that the actual focal length of the lens will not change (They' re right. It will not change. But it will give you a different image :p )

- or who will tell you that a picture taken with film with a 28 mm lens will be different to the image taken with the 18 mm lens on a digital camera
(they're right, too. Using the same aperture and a shorter lens, the digital camera will give you larger depth-of-field. If you want to have the same, just use f/1.8 with the digital camera to get a similar effect to using f/2.8 on the longer lens on film).

But don't let them confuse you or tell you you are completely wrong.

You are *basically* right with the effect of the focal length on the image you will get :wink:.

Best regards,
Andy

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

AeroSmith
Goldmember
4,578 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 08, 2007 16:27 as a reply to  @ Andy_T's post |  #6

Once Andy has spoken I think we can lock the thread. ;)

Josh Smith

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 08, 2007 16:29 |  #7

fuzzygraphics wrote in post #2838690 (external link)
If the Rebel XT has a crop factor of 1.6 for the smaller sensor, does that mean that my kit lens is really 29mm-88mm?

If it was really a 29-88, it would say 29-88.

But it says 18-55, because that's what it is.

And the 17-40 says 17-40 because it really is 17-40.

And my Tamron 17-50 says 17-50 because it really is 17-50.

I hope that clears things up.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,698 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 08, 2007 17:03 |  #8

The 'crop' effect is due to the difference in sensor size (36mm vs. 22.5mm horizontal, 24mm vs. 15mm vertical) So if you put a 28mm lens on the FF camera, you need to use a 17.5mm lens on the APS-C camera in order for the same FOV to be captured in the final image.

A 17mm lens is really a 17mm lens on any camera body, it is merely the FOV that can be captured by the film/sensor within the boundaries of the frame edges which changes!

Using 17mm on APS-C will result in the same FOV being captured in the frame as using a 27.2mm lens on FF camera.
Using 18mm on APS-C will result in the same FOV being captured in the frame as using a 28.8mm lens on FF camera.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

fuzzygraphics
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 08, 2007 17:23 |  #9

Wilt wrote in post #2838990 (external link)
The 'crop' effect is due to the difference in sensor size (36mm vs. 22.5mm horizontal, 24mm vs. 15mm vertical) So if you put a 28mm lens on the FF camera, you need to use a 17.5mm lens on the APS-C camera in order for the same FOV to be captured in the final image.

A 17mm lens is really a 17mm lens on any camera body, it is merely the FOV that can be captured by the film/sensor within the boundaries of the frame edges which changes!

Using 17mm on APS-C will result in the same FOV being captured in the frame as using a 27.2mm lens on FF camera.
Using 18mm on APS-C will result in the same FOV being captured in the frame as using a 28.8mm lens on FF camera.

Thank for explaining this. This is where I was getting hung up. I'm looking at a lot of amazing photos taken with the 17-40L and just wondering if the wides are all with FF sensors. I guess I'm just trying to avoid buying a new lens and not being able to go as wide as I'd like.

fuzzygraphics
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 08, 2007 17:27 |  #10

Curtis N wrote in post #2838819 (external link)
If it was really a 29-88, it would say 29-88.

But it says 18-55, because that's what it is.

And the 17-40 says 17-40 because it really is 17-40.

And my Tamron 17-50 says 17-50 because it really is 17-50.

I hope that clears things up.

It does. Does anyone have the number for 411?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,698 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 08, 2007 17:30 |  #11

fuzzygraphics wrote in post #2839108 (external link)
I guess I'm just trying to avoid buying a new lens and not being able to go as wide as I'd like.

Yeah, that was an adjustment for me, too, after 40 years of shooting with 35mm film SLRs. OTOH, all of the other film format cameras I also have, the idea of buying lenses to suit was never a bother! Everyone is simply spoiled at being able to re-use 35mm SLR lenses on APS-C dSLR!

The only thing that makes it a bother now is the relative scarcity (two years ago) of truly wide lenses and fast apertures at more reasonable prices that would provide UWA on APS-C. (Can you readily find a 15mm f/2 lens for APS-C at the same price I can buy a 24mm f/2 lens for 35mm?)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

1,460 views & 0 likes for this thread
Crop factor/sensor math
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.