Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 08 Mar 2007 (Thursday) 22:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Little Fella - Less Fortunate

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2007 22:25 |  #1

This is one of those shots that I hope moves the viewer as much as it moved me. This was taken on a South Texas border town this last weekend.

This little fella was playing in the street next to his mother. She could not have been more than 17 and was holding a very small baby while begging for coins.

If you get a chance give someone a hand tomorrow.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i100.photobucke​t.com/albums/m16/taygu​ll/sm.jpg (external link)

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
speedtest
176 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 08, 2007 22:31 |  #2

cute kid, i feel bad fo him. seems a little dark but i think this montior sucks.

Brett L.
Canon EOS Rebel XTI
EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Kit lens
EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 III
EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 II zoom

morlia
733 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 08, 2007 22:33 |  #3

I really think the ruddiness (darkness) of the photo really works. If it were brighter it would be a happier image and that it is not. I really think it's great though.

not a lot of gear, but I have endless amounts of energy!

http://www.madchenstud​ios.com (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2007 22:40 |  #4

Thanks.....yes the darkness is what I was after....the conflict is....cute kid, cute Disney type hat, rough street, and the grit.

McKinney, TX

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 08, 2007 22:47 |  #5

The border towns are a very interesting blend of cultures...You probably noticed the many major manufacturer corporations right inside Mexico, across the border...

Some of our Resort Staff found housing in Brownsville... I visited through Matamoras a few times...

However, I actually lived in Rosarito, Baja CA MX for several months, and the village has it's locals and there are the retired Americans and a substantial turnover of tourists...
The border towns also pick up inlanders, from way inland MX looking for a better life...
At least the weather is not freezing ice cold for them while they face all the other hardships of transiency and trying to find employment... I found soccer to be the international language, surfing is too, and lets not forget baseball...the kids all love their sports.

It's a very nice picture of the reasonably well dressed child... It shows that the mother is spending her monies on the little fellow, and that's a good sign.

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

jamesdean007
666 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 08, 2007 22:50 |  #6

I like the shot. Providing us with the story around the picture helps build an even bigger picture. For me it sure hit home that no matter how bad things may be - bad day - bad boss - bad whatever - I know that there are many people who would love to trade up to your (my, our) problems. Thanks for sharing it.

James - Canon 3ti, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 70-300 4-5.6 IS, Grip, 580EX II,Westcott Softbox, Sto-fens

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2007 22:54 |  #7

Sure James,

I bounce images off a very close friend who is a great artist (singer/songwriter), he will assist me in some shoots as well. He in fact swapped cameras with me during this shoot because I saw the kid but was holding my 1D Mark IIn with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS on it and need my 24-70L that was on my 5D.....

I sent him this shot tonight for a preview and he said exactly the same thing you did....only that he needed to see it 4 hours ago because it was such a rough day...it helped him realize and remember what the two of us saw just a few days ago.

McKinney, TX

kalee
111 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 08, 2007 22:58 |  #8

in regards to the little boy and his situation...
i'm glad to see he's dressed well and looks clean.

in regards to the image...
it's a wonderful picture and really depicts the reality that's his at the moment.
great job!

Rhinotherunt
Looking for a Rock
7,129 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 09, 2007 03:45 |  #9

The image a beautiful capture of the human condition. I think it may be slightly over sharpened, but still works.

Ryan McGill
My Gearhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=592450

skade
Goldmember
4,341 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 09, 2007 04:50 |  #10

I love it... the story breaks my heart!

Raindancer
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 09, 2007 05:21 as a reply to  @ skade's post |  #11

It's a nice shot Chris that really does tell a story........

Roger

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." J.R.R. Tolkein

Canon EOS 5D
Canon EOS 20D
Canon EF 70 - 200mm F/2.8L USM
Canon EF 17 - 40mm F/4L USM
Canon EF 24 - 70mm F/2.8L USM
Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM
580EX Speedlite

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 09, 2007 07:15 |  #12

Rhinotherunt wrote in post #2841470 (external link)
The image a beautiful capture of the human condition. I think it may be slightly over sharpened, but still works.

Part to this specific PP does call for an bit of an oversharpening, that is what makes the grit stand out.

McKinney, TX

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 09, 2007 07:24 |  #13

I personally think this is an outstanding image! Stepping away from the techincals which we all get caught up in sometimes. I mean when does a photo of a fly's rear end become a great photo just because you can see each individual hair without any halos? haha... but I digress(as I tend to do quite often).

Anyway... this image just stands out to me because it does tell story. The story it tells may be a little different to each individual who views it, but it does tell a story.

Technically... I love the picture. The dark gritty feel is great. And the level of depth and volume is terrific. Oversharpened? Maybe... I don't personally think so... but I could see why others would.

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

kato1
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 09, 2007 07:25 |  #14

Very much to my tase this one. A nice capture.

EOS 40D + BG-E2N, EOS 10D + BG-ED3,
50mm f1.4, 17-40 L f4, 70-200 L f/2.8 IS,
580EX II, 550EX, 420EX,
Manfrotto 055XPro tripod/808RC4 head.
Sekonic L-308s

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 09, 2007 07:30 |  #15

Thanks forkball and kato1.

Great comments forkball...for the last year I have been so worried about the technical side of photography (and that is OK, you must know the technical side) that it sometimes gets in the way of the image telling a story. Now that my technical side is pretty good I find myself digging deeper into the art of of the image......

McKinney, TX

sponsored links

1,876 views & 0 likes for this thread
Little Fella - Less Fortunate
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.