Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Mar 2007 (Friday) 03:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ZoomBrowser 5.x CameraWindow does not open

amplitron
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 09, 2007 03:31 |  #1

Hi,

I have installed a brand new ZoomBrowser EX v 5.7 supplied with my new G7 and the CameraWindow does not open. It flashes and disappears. ZB does not communicate with the cameras – I tried G7 and S50. Both cameras are perfectly recognized by the PCs. I upgraded to ZoomBrowser EX v 5.8a and still have the same problem. I have tried the software on two different WIN XP SP2 PCs and the effect is the same – no Camera Window. When using the ZB EX v 4.6 I have no problems whatsoever. Any suggestions how to make CameraWindow in Zoom Browser EX v 5.7 or 5.8 working ?

Greetings, Amplitron

sponsored links
MaxZoom
316 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 09, 2007 11:49 |  #2

For some reason the Canon service does not start automatically on some Windows XP systems. Try the following kick start and see if this is the case on your PC.

Right-click on "My Computer" elect manage (possibly 4th item down on list)

In the computer management console which opns select "Services and Applications" in the right hand frame by double-clicking it.

Double click on "Services" probably the first item in the right hand frame.

Scroll down to the service named "Canon Access Library 8", right click on it and select start. If start is disabled then the service is already started and you need someone better than me.

A dialog shoud appear for a few seconds saying "Starting..."

Try opening the CameraWindow again.

The next trick is to find some one who knows how to cure the non start situation. If anyone knows the permanent solution to avoid this kick start stuff, please share I for one would love to know.

Max :rolleyes:
There's no such thing as a bad photo, just the wrong audience.
EQUIPMENT: Canon Powershot S3 IS, 2x Transcend 2GB x150 SD, 2x 4GB Class 4 Dane-Elec SDHC, LensMate 52mm Adapter Tube and lots of stuff to hang on it.
A couple of flashes and a couple of strobes. My other camera is a Sony DSC-P200.

amplitron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 09, 2007 12:20 |  #3

Hi MaxZoom
Thanks for the reply. I already know the reason why the ZB 5.x does not work on some XP machines (thanks to Wklee on the DPreview.com forum). This is because ZB 5.x requires that the SSDP - Simple Service Discovery Protocol- was active. On some machines SSDP is diabled by the security software, and for a good reason.
To turn it back on you'll have to go to Start/Run/ and type services.msc. Find SSDP and turn it back on. This also makes your PC a little less secure because of the way it works - creates a security hole in the system.
This remedy worked for me, but as I said, compromises the security.

Greetings, JJ

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 09, 2007 12:36 as a reply to  @ amplitron's post |  #4

On our mac's the reason zoombrowser wouldn't open was because another program (in our case, aperture) over rode the command....so to me it sounds like a software issue. One of your photo programs is the "primary" program to open when a camera is connected. We solved this by reloading zoom browser and making it the one to open when a camera or card reader (and just closing it when we wanted to use aperture)...there should be an option upon loading that will say "make this your (whatever) program to open these files"

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

LoneEmperor
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 11, 2007 13:08 |  #5

This solved my problem with a PowerShot S5 on an XP system :D I suspect that the SSDP service was turned off by NOD32, the anti-virus s/w that I use and like a lot. Does anyone else have this combination?

amplitron wrote in post #2843203 (external link)
Hi MaxZoom
Thanks for the reply. I already know the reason why the ZB 5.x does not work on some XP machines (thanks to Wklee on the DPreview.com forum). This is because ZB 5.x requires that the SSDP - Simple Service Discovery Protocol- was active. On some machines SSDP is diabled by the security software, and for a good reason.
To turn it back on you'll have to go to Start/Run/ and type services.msc. Find SSDP and turn it back on. This also makes your PC a little less secure because of the way it works - creates a security hole in the system.
This remedy worked for me, but as I said, compromises the security.

Greetings, JJ

Oldaggie
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 26, 2007 13:31 |  #6

Thanks for the help amplitron it work once I changed the setting Thanks again.

sponsored links

11,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
ZoomBrowser 5.x CameraWindow does not open
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.