Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 09 Mar 2007 (Friday) 20:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why have a website?

chartbin
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 09, 2007 20:42 |  #1

Why is it that people spend their time and $$$ creating and maintaining website to show their gallery?
Does it increase $$$/business?:eek:

http://m2moi.deviantar​t.com/prints/ (external link):lol:

sponsored links
coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 09, 2007 20:46 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

some for fun, others have businesses and either want to sell their images directly or to attract potential clients.

and of course the status aspect of haivng a site to show off

it definetly attracts more business though

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,173 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 09, 2007 20:47 |  #3

It's an excellent marketting tool if you do weddings, social events, sports photography, fine are landscaping prints, etc. It gives credibility at a time when the consumer expects it as part of their shopping experience.

I should have had mine set up years ago, and I'm sure that cost me business. Now when I get calls from interested parties I can point them to the online galleries and samples, and it will help in the prescreening process. - Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

newton
568 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 09, 2007 21:04 |  #4

I do it for self expression. I don't want to take pictures and keep them to myself. Most people want to show the world their artwork. Only the strong can accept honest criticism. :)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 09, 2007 21:06 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

It should be your #1 marketing tool, and everything else you do in terms of marketing should drive people to your website so they may see your portfolio and contact info.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,173 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 09, 2007 21:08 |  #6

It's the next best thing to a physical art gallery - but available to everybody in the world at the click of a mouse, and for a only a fraction of the usual floor rental space. Plus it's a lot easier to change or expand the exhibit.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 09, 2007 21:30 |  #7

A website with samples of your work, contact details and prices as well as availability would be very useful. BUT people won't come looking for you because of your website. They will look because of:
1. Word of mouth.
2. The Yellow Pages (or whatever they're called in your area).
3. Business cards left in various locations.
4. Flyers posted in shop windows.
5. The sign on the side of your vehicle.

Many people won't bother looking online at anything.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk (external link)
www.sageworld.org (external link)
www.sagephotoworld.com (external link)
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavens (external link)

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 09, 2007 21:57 as a reply to  @ rhys's post |  #8

We do it solely to share pictures with family and friends. And because it's fun.

That may change, though. I'm in the process of doing some writing (now that I am finally retired), and it will be a good place to auto-publish.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,173 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 09, 2007 22:11 |  #9

Prior to it's construction, prospective B&G's would call and ask to see my website with samples of my wedding work. By the tone of their voice, I could actually hear them lose interest in me as a potential photographer when I said that the site was still under construction.

These days, right or wrong, most of the public EXPECTS you to have a web presence if you are serious about promoting your business. A website is no guarantee of being successful, but many count it as a strike against you if it doesn't exist.

GEAR LIST

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,842 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 09, 2007 22:49 |  #10

I started mine up just because I could. First go at one. My intent at first was just for a hobby...and to beable to show my work off to family and friends. But as time went on, I started shooting various sporting events at the school I teach....then started posting the shots for kids to see. I wasn't interested in 'nickel and diming' selling shots...so just told kids to feel free to download what they want and get them printed.

Now THAT....has led to some good paying jobs. Been a great PR tool. Parents and friends have seen my work...and are calling me now for family portrait shoots and weddings.

Give...and it shall be given back to you. :-)

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

sponsored links

848 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why have a website?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.