Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Mar 2007 (Wednesday) 15:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can I set focus level in 20D autofocus mode

chartbin
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 14, 2007 15:50 |  #1

More specifically, can I fine tune the level of sharpness in the 20D when I use the autofocus mode?
Nothing in the Menu looks obvious to me:confused:

http://m2moi.deviantar​t.com/prints/ (external link):lol:

sponsored links
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 14, 2007 16:47 |  #2

Can you fine tune auto focus? No. Can you manually fine tune focus after achieving auto focus? Yes. There are no menu adjustments for auto focus. You can tell the camera which focus point to use, but that's it. Are your pics out of focus? If they just aren't sharp in the view finder, play with the diopter adjustment.

KevC
Goldmember
3,154 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 14, 2007 17:04 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #3

If your lens has ringUSM that usually means you have full time manual focus (FTMF). You can "tweak" the focus while in AF.

If not, just switch the AF to MF and turn the focus ring.

Too much gear...
take nothing but pictures .... kill nothing but time .... leave nothing but footprints

chartbin
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 14, 2007 17:55 |  #4

Here are some test shot at f2.8 and f16.0

They look ok here, but my shots are usually soft-focussed, bugs me!:(

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 15, 2007 14:05 |  #5

Post some examples with EXIF data.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

rowdyred94
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 15, 2007 14:35 |  #6

What lens? A 2.8 max lens won't be razor sharp at 2.8.

~ Clint :: Galleries (external link) :: Marketplace Feedback (external link)

chartbin
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 15, 2007 15:05 |  #7

How to attach with EXIF data?:confused:
I used a Tamron zoom 28-70 mm at 70mm.:)

chartbin
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 15, 2007 15:08 |  #8

I found the "parameter set 1 to 3" setting. Any exprience with them?
I did not see much difference, if any.
I set parameter set3 to have the highest sharpness setting.

StewartR
"your nose is too big"
4,269 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 15, 2007 16:13 |  #9

chartbin wrote in post #2871640 (external link)
...but my shots are usually soft-focussed

So show us some examples. There are loads of reasons why your shots might be soft focussed, and without being able to see them we have no way of helping you.

EXIF data is automatically attached to your photos by the camera and is preserved by most software packages. Don't use 'Save for web' in PhotoShop because that removes it.

www.LensesForHire.co.u​k (external link) - complete with matching POTN discussion thread
Photos: Cats (external link) | London by day (external link) | London by night (external link) I My POTN photo sharing threads (external link) | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive (external link)
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4

chartbin
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 15, 2007 17:54 |  #10

Thanks, StewartR. Here goes...

HOSTED PHOTO

StewartR
"your nose is too big"
4,269 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 15, 2007 18:35 |  #11

OK, the EXIF says f=32mm, 1/125th @ f/9. One thing that sometimes causes "softness" is camera shake, but we can rule that out here. (And the softness in the picture doesn't look like camera shake.)

Next, DOF is sometimes an issue. However in this picture there's nothing that is precisely sharp so it's not just DOF that's the problem.

Here's one suggestion though, which is related to DOF. I'd judge that the horses are about 0.5m from the camera. Then DOFMaster (external link) says the DOF is (roughly) +/-4cm, which isn't much. Were you using a tripod? If not, it's possible that you might have moved a few cm between getting the focus lock and taking the shot, and that would be enough to throw everything slightly OOF.

Other suggestions: Were you inside the minimum focussing distance for your lens? Have you sharpened the picture at all after it came out of the camera? (DSLRs are designed so that images need some sharpening...)

Here is another thread where a forum member had focussing issues which might be similar to yours.

www.LensesForHire.co.u​k (external link) - complete with matching POTN discussion thread
Photos: Cats (external link) | London by day (external link) | London by night (external link) I My POTN photo sharing threads (external link) | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive (external link)
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4

chartbin
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 15, 2007 19:32 |  #12

StewartR wrote in post #2877460 (external link)
Were you using a tripod?

YES

Were you inside the minimum focussing distance for your lens?
YES

Have you sharpened the picture at all after it came out of the camera? (DSLRs are designed so that images need some sharpening...)
NO, this last statemt I have heard about DSLR especially 2oD, is there a way around it?:)

twebster
Account closed at Users request
97 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 16, 2007 04:16 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

You can change the amount of in-camera sharpening through the parameter settings. However, I do not find the Canon sharpening algorithms to be all that good. Sharpening the image should be the last step in your post-exposure processing work flow. The amount of sharpening applied to an image will vary depending on the size and resolution of the final image. If you set the 20D to apply some in-camera sharpening then later on resize the image and sharpen again, you run the risk of creating over-sharpening artifacts, the little halos around subject details. You can set some in-camera sharpening but I would recommend against it.

Tom Webster
Tom Webster Photography (external link)
Gift Store (external link)

overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 16, 2007 09:54 |  #14

Try the test again and focus on a particular part of one horse, like the eye for example. Then do a 100% crop and post that. A 100% crop is where you would just crop out a section, say 400x400 or so of the picture and just post that without resizing or reducing the quality.

sponsored links

3,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can I set focus level in 20D autofocus mode
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.