Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 15 Mar 2007 (Thursday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which of the after images do you prefer"
63.2%
36.8%

19 voters, 19 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Your vote needed......Before & After as well

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 15, 2007 22:26 |  #1

OK guys,

I've been on a large commercial project now with about 80 hours of photoshop work building a 42 page album. I hope to share it with you guys in the next month.

The theme has to do with Texas and the entire attitude that is Texas.

On the images below there will be logo that will go in the bottom right that has to do with the project.

I'd be curious which of these two you like better.

I'm also going to do something that I don't normally do and that is show the before any edit straight from the camera and my final image. I feel I've gotten pretty good at doing this as it only took me about 45 minutes from start to finish.

There is one very specific thing I don't like about one of the images and I'd be curious if anyone picks it out. I would bet Rene would.:lol:

I've actually already submitted one of these for the cover shot and it is at the printer but I could change it if I had to. I don't think I will but I'd be curious what you guys think.

I am keeping the name of the project confidential at the request of the client.

#1 Before

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i100.photobucke​t.com …m16/taygull/bIM​G_3635.jpg (external link)

#1 After

http://i100.photobucke​t.com/albums/m16/taygu​ll/cover1.jpg (external link)

#2 Before

http://i100.photobucke​t.com …m16/taygull/bIM​G_3646.jpg (external link)

#2 After

http://i100.photobucke​t.com …ygull/cover_no_​guitar.jpg (external link)

Here is some very cool history on the mic used in the shoot. It gave me goose bumps just touching it!

Story as told by the current owner, a good friend.

The microphone is an old Shure 55SW. I received it from a Memphis session player (we'll call him T-Bone to preserve his identity) who spent a majority of his life playing, singing and sometimes even "fixing" well-known performer's parts who were not "up-to-snuff" on some of the most famous recordings to come from that area.

In 1985, T-Bone worked as a "go-fer" for Sam Phillips at the world-famous Sun Studios during the sessions for the "Class of '55" Reunion record (Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison and Carl Perkins). According to T-Bone, this mic was used in the studio for many years, with many famous and infamous singers cutting tracks with it. At one point, Sam had the microphone gold-plated and subsequently stashed it away to preserve it's "mojo"! As a token of Sam's appreciation to T-Bone for his work not only during the sessions, but as a mainstay of the Memphis music scene, he gave T-Bone this microphone that was tucked in his desk drawer in a faded green velvet Chivas Royal Salute bag!

As with all good stories, there are always some embellishments that accompany those tales through time, but the provenance that has been provided to me along with the acquisition of the microphone lead me to believe that "...if this mike could talk..."

It is believed this mic has been used by all the greats that have gone through Sun Records including Elvis and those mentioned above!

Here is a shot of the mic.

http://i100.photobucke​t.com …gull/webSunReco​rdsMic.jpg (external link)

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 15, 2007 23:19 |  #2

I've added a shot of the mic to the thread.

McKinney, TX

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 15, 2007 23:26 |  #3

I voted for #one...

#two, looks staged, canned, phony...not like a singer reaching a high note, or singing a loud note...it looks like some guy shouting...high, or loud notes aren't shouted, they are sung...

(Since, for many years, I sung with some of the best musicians and TV/movie celebrities in the country... I can tell a shouting person from a trained singing person...)

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

Grey56
158 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 15, 2007 23:37 as a reply to  @ johnstoy's post |  #4

I voted for the first one because as a photograph, it's more about your subject - I feel that the second one is more about the artist himself. Because you can't see the face in the first, you are more able to take the info you're given (namely the AWESOME hat) and infer that it's all about Texas.

Hope that made sense.

Jennifer
www.karindailey.com (external link)

10D, backup 10D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 18-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, 50/1.4, 100/2, 70-200/2.8IS, 430EX

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 15, 2007 23:40 |  #5

johnstoy wrote in post #2878939 (external link)
I voted for #one...

#two, looks staged, canned, phony...not like a singer reaching a high note, or singing a loud note...it looks like some guy shouting...high, or loud notes aren't shouted, they are sung...

(Since, for many years, I sung with some of the best musicians and TV/movie celebrities in the country... I can tell a shouting person from a trained singing person...)

John,

Then you don't know country music...Texas style.

He was actually singing acupala...he is a tremendous talent. He was a staff writer in Nashville for 10 years has multiple CD's and written with the best including Rodney Crowell......

His live shows are as energetic as the image above....

Maybe they don't don't shout up there but they sure do here...ever see Garth Brooks?;)

McKinney, TX

hauff
POTN Wildlife Photographer 2005
737 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 15, 2007 23:45 |  #6

I like #1 the best, it does seem to suit your theme better than the other shot. I don't however, like the light reflection on the guitar in the image.

Love the mic story btw...

__Bryan__

:arrow: My pbase... (external link)

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 15, 2007 23:47 |  #7

It just isn't appealing...

I don't remember anyone shouting or looking like that when I lived out west for nearly 11 yrs...

I'd rather see a picture like #1 anyhow...

John Stoy

My Gear List

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 15, 2007 23:48 |  #8

Thanks for sharing the story. I did spend a great deal of time looking at the microphone. But as far as the Bef and Aft photos, I would have to say I like the very last one, before the short story. It shows more of the texan spirit (Either that or it is a puerto rican country singer). Either way, I really like it.

Congrats.

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

gacon1
635 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 16, 2007 00:39 |  #9

Vote for #1

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 16, 2007 04:34 |  #10

Nice images!
I like #2 best, but that's mainly because there are a few minor things I'd have liked different on #1:
1) Moire on the hat.
2) Either not enough or too much face: Looks like the hat is not on straight.

Nice set though, and lovely microphone!

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 16, 2007 07:06 |  #11

Thanks guys,

Not sure what you mean on #1 Rene'? "Moire on the hat". The hat is on straight, I don't like the hat at all. The way he has it "styled" is the sides are crunched in as far is it can get. For me I wanted just enough face to show his stuble and grit, I think we got that.

Since no one has pointed it out here are my thoughts.....

#1 is more about Texas then the performer, for me it fits the show to make it more about the over experience then an individual. I like the "mystery" in the shot.

#2. Here is what I just can't get past. His hand looks freaking huge! I am just concerned that when this prints on a 13x13 cover it will even look larger!

I'm thinking the reason the hand does look a big is two reasons. I changed the perspective in #2 in Photoshop so his head did not look so big. When using the distort filter it does a fantastic job of putting getting the top of of the image to look better with the bottom. The problem is as the top pulls away the hand/middle of the image stayed where it is, thus making the hand look large.

I shot these with my 5D and my 17-40L at 17mm. I'm starting to wonder if I had shot them a greater focal length would I have not had that "wide angle" look/distortion?

Anyway......I hope to share the overall book once I get a release from the show.

Thanks for all the replies..

John you have got to get out more......I'm not going to take the time to find the millions of shots of performers "screaming" but they do....you won't see Christopher Cross do it or the Beach Boys but take a look at the Stones or Aerosmith or some of the very upbeat acts and you will see this.

McKinney, TX

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 16, 2007 07:23 |  #12

...high, or loud notes aren't shouted, they are sung...

Well, you've obviously never watched American Idol or listened to pop radio....:lol::lol:

I actually like #2 in general and like Mario said, it shows that Texas attitude. The lighting on his face is really nice too. But I agree with the others that #1 has more emphasis on the mic. I'm going to have to go with #2, it just grabs me a bit more.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 16, 2007 07:51 |  #13

I really don't want the emphasis on the mic...I would suspect if I had not told the mic story it would have just been seen as a prop.

I agree on #2 but I just can't get past the "man hand" (ala Seinfeld, LOL).

McKinney, TX

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,662 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 16, 2007 08:17 |  #14

I voted for #one...

#two, looks staged, canned, phony...not like a singer reaching a high note, or singing a loud note...it looks like some guy shouting...

could be the attitude of texas coming through. ;)

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 16, 2007 08:21 |  #15

bacchanal wrote in post #2880281 (external link)
Well, you've obviously never watched American Idol or listened to pop radio....:lol::lol:

You're right....I don't find time to watch Americal Idol...It's never been my cup of tea... The few glimpses I've caught of the Idol contestants are so bad, it's not worth the time spent just to catch a few minutes of some real good talent...

What's pop radio got to do with this anyway? I listen to a web radio station 24/7...

I just don't get where you're coming from on this one...

John Stoy

My Gear List

sponsored links

2,380 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your vote needed......Before & After as well
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.